Thread: Who would you draft in first round?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Who would you draft in first round?

Keeper cut down day in out league was yesterday so we finally get a look at who's going to be available in the draft.

I finished second last season and have second last pick (13th) in the first round so I don't even need to consider guys like Hall, Seguin, etc. I want to go after a forward in the first round and have listed below some of the top option that might be still available when it's my pick. Who are your top 5 from this list and why? LEague scoring and my roster are in the sig. Thanks.

Brenden Morrow
    Michael Frolik
    Nikolai Zherdev
    Michael Grabner
    Jordan Staal
    Brandon Sutter
    Guillame Latandresse
    Patrik Berglund
    Ryan Malone
    David Perron
    Steve Ott
    Martin Hanzel
    14-team Keeper (Keep 15)
    G A PIM W SO

F: Huberdeau, E Lindholm, Aho, Zibanejad, Fiala, Malkin, Hertl, Trocheck, R Thomas
    D: Chabot, Krug, Dahlin, Klingberg, Matheson
    G: Sorokin

Bench
    F:
    McCann, Mittelstadt, Tolvanen, Arvidsson, Wheeler
    D: Forsling, Schultz
    G: Sorokin, Murray, Quick

10-team Keeper (Keep 14)
    G A PIM PPG PPA SHG GWG S H BLK W SO SV GA

F: Ovechkin, Marchand, Forsberg, Bennett, Hertl, Malkin, Bertuzzi, Keller, Kopitar, Necas, Terravanien, Kadri
    D: Doughty, Karlsson, Sergachev, Sandin, Andersson, Addison
    G: Jarry, Oettinger, Hill

Dobber Sports Initiate

Personally, I would not take Malone (I think he will regress this year), Zherdev (buried in depth) or Latandresse (blah)

of the others I think Morrow is a good candidate for a bounce back year, still fairly young, but a proven warrior. I don't own him, but I would like to.
    12 team keeper league. 8 keepers/team.
    Skater Pts: goal = 2, assist =1, +/-, PIM = .5
    Goalie Pts: win = 5, SO = 3, Sv = .1, GA = -.9

FORWARDS:
    C. Giroux, I. Kovalchuk, E. Malkin, D. Clarkson, D. Perron, J. Pominville, J. Tootoo, R. Mason, R. Nash, J. Iginla, S. Gagner, R. O'Reilly, T. Bozak
    DEFENSE:
    C. Letang, Mike Green, A. Edler, N. Kronwall, D. Engelland, K. Yandle, B. Dillon, P. Martin
    GOALIES:
    R. Miller, J. Quick J. Hiller, C. Nilstorp

Dobber Sports Padawan

In no particular order, the top five on your list IMO.

Berglund: maybe a year away, max two, but this kid isgoing to be very good.
    Perron: Will continue to improve, just as the rest of the youngsters in St-Louis
    Grabner: Young rebuilding team, he will see a fair amount of ice time and PP duties.
    Staal: If he lines up on a line with Malkin...I would score 20 goals on that line!
    Frolik: Same as Grabner but with more skills. May breakout this year with the added responsabilities.

Hope it helps.

Dobber Sports Guru

Michael Frolik
    Brenden Morrow
    Nikolai Zherdev
    Jordan Staal
    Michael Grabner

Dobber Sports Guru

Michael Frolik - Has a really high upside and great situation going on for him.
    Brenden Morrow - Solid all-around player.
    Jordan Staal - A great breakout candidate with the move to play with Malkin on the 2nd line.
    David Perron - Solid but inconsistent. Still improving.
    Guillame Latandresse - I don't think he's time with the Wild was a fluke. He'll turn out a solid 30 goal, 60 point guy as soon as next year. Solid PIM potential also.

I'm looking at this with the notion that these are one-year pick ups with a possibility of being a keeper this time, next year.

Staal - just like the situation he's in. He could easily rack up points this year.
    Morrow or Ott - PIMs and points from one of these would add to the nice glut from Getz, Downie, and Backes (Jokinen too).
    Frolik - highest long term upside outta the bunch, but in terms of production for this season I have to down drop him a bit on my list.
    Zherdev - probably the biggest risk of the bunch in terms of consistency in production/effort. But could he??? .....tempting
    @SmittysRant