Thread: Rank These Goalies

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Rank These Goalies

Ok, so, I think I might be the only person who is a consistent checker of the 1 yr. forum. I posted a question there and got basically no responses other than 2-3 people. I've decided to move the question here in hopes that more people will come across this thread and I can get some more quality answers from the Dobber Elite. Ok, moving on:

For this season only, i'm having trouble ranking a couple of goalies. My league categories for goalies are Wins, GAA, SV% and Shutouts. The league is H2H and has no specific point system and all categories are equally important. I need help ranking a couple of goalies:

Marty Turco - I'm confident, yet skeptical of a good season from him. (Does that make any sense?)

Tuukka Rask - I know he is the goalie of the future in Boston, but could a few bad starts + the weight of Thomas' contract push him out of the crease more often than expected? How many starts can we REALISTICALLY expect from him this year?

M.A. Fleury - How long can he hide behind wins as being the only reason he is a top 10 goalie? His health sucks year-to-year and his peripherals never really wow me. Shutouts are not all that plentiful either.

Semyon Varlamov - Health risks, slumps and Neuvirth. Will he achieve the late 30's win total and 2.30-2.35 GAA that i'm hoping for him?

**REP to all whom respond with legit info in helping with my decision.**

Dobber Sports Padawan

Don't think I'm qualified to give out advice yet..but ill come out with the first reply

Rask - Impressed everyone last year, has the same, probably more, hype Steve Mason had. Continues it or becomes Mason #2? Everyone I know is really high on him

Fleury - 1st overall right? He can improve right? He has wins in the bag already.

Turco - Veteran, proven. Nice team infront of him. Are his bones and joints aching?

Varlamov - Dunno much about him cept he was magical in the playoffs that one year..

Take this lightly cuz I'm still a noob lol
    G(3) A(2) +/-(1) PIM(-0.5) PPP(1) SOG(0.4) Hits(0.2) BLK(0.2) SHG(5)
    W(4) GA(-1) SV(0.2) SO(3.5)

H2H Points , 8 Teams, One Year

3C - Couture, Galchenyuk, Stepan, Krejci, Monahan, Kadri
    3LW - Ovechkin, Schwartz, Huberdeau, Voracek, O'Reilly
    3RW - Tarasenko, Eberle, Ehlers, Atkinson, Stone
    5D - OEL, Doughty, Weber, Stralman, Werenski, Hamilton
    2G - Quick, Allen, Elliott, C.Johnson, Andersen, Greiss

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

All help still appreciated, kluu.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm new but I'll give it a shot.

1) Tuukka Rask
    Rask is by far the most promising goalie listed there. Easily the goalie of the future for Boston. While there is a risk of him losing the job to Tim Thomas, it's very unlikely. Rask is not the 2nd coming of Steve Mason imo. He won't be quite as good as last season but he will be better than Mason was in his sophomore season. I expect Rask to get about 55-60 starts with the others going to Thomas hoping to get rid of him sometime during the season.

GP: 57
    Record: 37-14-6
    Sv%: .921%
    GAA: 2.29

2) Marty Turco
    He's old but playing on a solid team. Albeit Chicago will not be quite the powerhouse they were last season, their defense is still going to be very very good at protecting Turco. There is the risk that Turco is out of gas but as a Canucks fan and seeing how he played against us in the playoffs. Turco is still playing with a fire and he has something to prove. Playing with a strong defensive team like Chicago's will boost his numbers. Turco will get less playing time so he's rested for the playoffs.

GP: 58
    Record: 33-16-9
    Sv%: .919%
    GAA: 2.36

3) Marc-Andre Fleury
    MA Fleury is really nothing spectacular. His numbers should be around the same regardless as he plays on the same perennial powerhouse year in and year out. He has a good goalie on a great team but isn't the type of goalie who can steal you games hence the lack of shutouts. I don't really see his numbers changing much so...

GP: 66
    Record: 35-23-8
    Sv%: .911%
    GAA: 2.58

4) Seymeon Varlamov
    He's playing on a powerhouse with a very run and gun style. Personally, I'm not sold his abilities yet so he gets to be ranked last place here. He has consistency issues, and has a hard time remaining focused. Playing on the team he does will get him wins, but will not necessarily give him good numbers in all other categories.

GP: 61
    Record: 38-14-9
    Sv%: .907%
    GAA: 2.62

Just remember to take everything I say with a grain of salt because I'm a newbie. Might want to see what everyone else says first too.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; August 20, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
    13 Team Yahoo Daily Points Keeper - 6 Keepers + 1 Rookie Keeper
    G | A | +/- | PIM | PPP | SHP | GWG | SOG
    Wins | Saves | SHO
    2 C | 2 LW | 2 RW | 3 D | 1 Util | 1 G

C - Crosby, Seguin (RW), Forsberg (RW)
    LW - Duchene (C), O'Reilly (C), Boedker
    RW - Hornqvist, Toffoli, Yakupov
    D - Karlsson, Niskanen, Vatanen, Faulk
    G - Anderson, Mason, Stalock

Dobber Sports Apprentice

btw, just because you're new doesn't mean you don't have good advice to give.

so to answer your question NYR, this is the way i'd rank them
    1) Turco: he's got a great team in front of him. Dallas had crap for D and he was the one that got the blame. He'll let in weak goals but that can be said with so many goalies (only exceptions are Brodeur and Lundy)
    2) Rask: I totally believe that he'll get the sophomore slump too. Mason was praised for his focus and extraordinary health (remember the whole mono thing he played through?) Thomas will be pushing and he'll see maybe 50 games. Boston has always liked Platooning and this year will be no different. Even with the way Rask played at the beginning of the year Thomas still would have been the go-to guy.
    3/4) Fleury/Varlamov: what can i say, the only reason i don't put him dead last is because Washington is killer in letting shots get to the goalie. Fleury and Varly are essentially the same goalie. Overhyped, young and will only be worth wins. Varly is in a worse position as well since Neuvirth is going to be pushing to get in.
    League 1: 12 teams (drafted 10th) - Standard public Yahoo league - G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG - W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Really interesting takes so far.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by NYR9394 View Post
    Ok, so, I think I might be the only person who is a consistent checker of the 1 yr. forum. I posted a question there and got basically no responses other than 2-3 people. I've decided to move the question here in hopes that more people will come across this thread and I can get some more quality answers from the Dobber Elite. Ok, moving on:

For this season only, i'm having trouble ranking a couple of goalies. My league categories for goalies are Wins, GAA, SV% and Shutouts. The league is H2H and has no specific point system and all categories are equally important. I need help ranking a couple of goalies:

Marty Turco - I'm confident, yet skeptical of a good season from him. (Does that make any sense?)

Tuukka Rask - I know he is the goalie of the future in Boston, but could a few bad starts + the weight of Thomas' contract push him out of the crease more often than expected? How many starts can we REALISTICALLY expect from him this year?

M.A. Fleury - How long can he hide behind wins as being the only reason he is a top 10 goalie? His health sucks year-to-year and his peripherals never really wow me. Shutouts are not all that plentiful either.

Semyon Varlamov - Health risks, slumps and Neuvirth. Will he achieve the late 30's win total and 2.30-2.35 GAA that i'm hoping for him?

**REP to all whom respond with legit info in helping with my decision.**

NYR - one year league correct??

1) Turco, has the experience, he's battle tested, and has the team around him to really pay dividends, and especially in a One Year league

2) MA Fluery, pretty much the same reasons as stated...

( Could flip flop Turco, Fleury or Fleury , Turco

3) Rask, obviously the money the B's are paying TT. They will use him thus hurting Rask in a one year league.

4) Varly- rankest lowest here, simply cause of the unknown, durabilty issues and Nuevirth and or whomever else the Caps MAY bring on board..

Your best bet is deciding between Turco and Fleury and not even looking at Rask/ Varlmalov in a one year league ( this year)

Obviously things change in keepers and or one year leagues down the road, but for now, THIS season, is how I would rank em...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Yea, Shakie. Of all the things I put down, I forgot to mention 1 yr. LoL!

Funny thing is, I saw the logic just like you in my initial rankings. I still would like any advice if someone would like to share.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

1. RASK. I think his stats from last year would give him the win. This year, he should get a few more starts. The Bruins are improved, IMO, and the Northeast stinks. There are lots of opportunities there for SO & great games.

2. FLEURY. He was terrible with the GAA & SV% last year but PIT has added TWO new very, very decent defensemen. This is going to be a BIG help. Less quality shots & less shots in general will amount to a better GAA & SV%.

3. TURCO. CHI will get him the stats - but the Central is a very tough division. 6 games each against a healthy DET, the new Halak STL, an emerging young non-Hitch CBJ, and NAS should be playing Rinne a lot. Much more competition this year for CHI in the central than there was last year.

4. VARLY. Other than wins - what are we sure will be there? And if Justin thinks Neuvirth has a shot to displace him... well, I'd be a bit worried about taking him early.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd take Fleury first, Turco second, Rask third, as long as we're talking about next season only. Expect Fleury to have a big rebound year, Rask won't dominate the world like a lot of people are assuming he will and lets face it Thomas is still going to get his starts, and Turco as long as healthy will be among goalie stat leaders in chitown. Now for a keeper league, Rask is easily the best option long-term.