Thread: New Jersey Goalies

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default New Jersey Goalies

Have you already done the State of New Jersey goaltending? If so, I'm sorry I missed it and could you refer me to it?

If not, figured I would get your thoughts on something. I just acquired Brodeur in my keep league and we have a very deep farm system (14 team league, 25 player NHL roster, 35 player farm). I always kind of like to have a backup plan for when older goalies fade away or retire, and was wondering if you had any insight on who maybe the next guy in NJ or is it too early to really know what they are going to do? Both Frazee and McKenna are owned, is it worth my trouble to try and trade for them now, or just wait things out?

Thanks!

The King of Diatribes

Nope, Devils haven't been voted in yet...

It's too early to know who will graduate first between McKenna and Frazee. Proof that it's a crapshoot between the two is found in the fact that I am more of a McKenna fan and Dobber is more of a Frazee fan. We both have solid reasons for why we feel each of them are legitimate choices for the Devils to develop into what could be the next starting goalie for the Devils.

At the same time, there's a very good chance the Devils acquire a veteran goalie in the second stage of his career. Kind of like what Florida did with Tomas Vokoun. To be honest, there's no way of knowing exactly what New Jersey plans on doing until we know Brodeur is ready to retire. And even that is up for speculation...it could be one more season, it could be three or four.

I would have to think that since New Jersey chose to sign Hedberg instead of graduate either McKenna or Frazee, the organization doesn't think either of them are ready for a more solid NHL role.

My thoughts are that McKenna has better size, more experience and has the ~20 NHL games experience with Tampa Bay. He did very well in that stretch and was able to boost his reputation around the league to other GM's.

One of the determining factors will be their play in the AHL this season. They are set to battle each other for minutes once again. And since so much relies on "what have you done for me lately" then you'll get a really good indication on which goalie is leading the race by how they perform this season.

So to answer your question, I don't think it's worth trying to acquire either of them. But if you wanted to snag one, I would go with McKenna. He might have the upper hand in the eyes of management due to his previous NHL experience with Tampa Bay.

The Magnificent One

I was going to provide you with a link to an article about frazee but for some reason i cant find it. it was on the devils site but with all the press of Kovy and his contract it seems to have vanished. it was basically talking about frazee and how last yr he lost the starting job to mckenzie but that was due in part by getting cut by a skate to the throat. they thought it was serious and he wouldnt beable to play again but turned out that it just missed the main vain and he was fine. took him sometime to get back to the ice though and slowed on his developement. but he was the started and i think they are hoping he can regain it this yr and prove to them that he is ready to take the next step. so in my mind frazee will be the next starting goalie in NJ but the way NJ is they like GoalieGuild said will probably sign a vet for a yr or 2 and break in frazee slow. or they resign brodeur and let him split games with frazee and mentor him. alot of things are up in the air.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

The King of Diatribes

Good post, buddy.

Yes, the laceration from the skate was a scary incident, I do remember that happening.

It can be a real unfortunate situation, as it definitely hinders development and takes away from the momentum he gained before he was cut. I think he's fine though, and will have plenty of opportunities to out-perform McKenna.

I personally don't see that happening though. I just think McKenna is much more refined and their size differences are noticeable. McKenna is not affected by the new leg pad size guidelines and could actually go a quarter-inch higher if he wanted. I don't think Frazee will be affected much, but he might appear a bit smaller in net than last season.

Like so many other situations, we just have to wait and see how they compete in training camp!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yeah, thats kind of what I was afraid of, its a total toss up right now. Thanks though, definately appreciate your thoughts. What is your thinking on other goalies in NJ's system, like the newly drafted Scott Wedgewood and Maxime Clermont?

The King of Diatribes

I like Wedgewood...but his size means he's a long shot and his upside for right now is a lot like a Johan Hedberg or an Erik Ersberg. Competitive but not elite. If he holds down the starting role in Plymouth, he could turn into a very interesting prospect for New Jersey and I would say he'd turn pro with a little more promise (at first) to McKenna and Frazee. One reason I say that is because they both played NCAA, while Wedgewood is getting a TON of games in the CHL. Also Wedgewood works with the same goalie coach that Jack Campbell worked with for some time - Stan Matwijiw.

Clermont is still a work in progress and doesn't have much upside right now because of it. In a few more years we'll know a ton more about his potential...very skilled kid though.