Thread: Thanks, Justin!

Default Thanks, Justin!

Was gonna ask your opinion on Halak (talent-wise and situation), but after reading through some of the other threads my doubts have been erased.

After losing Nabokov to the KHL, I was very happy to have acquired Halak in a trade that also brought EJ on board my team. My joy quickly waned when I started hearing whispers of "one year wonder", "overrated" from other GM's in my league.

To this day, I don't know why i bother listening to those jack-a-lopes. What I saw of Halak in the playoffs goes beyond mere wins/losses. His ability to remain calm while facing 40-50 shots/game is what really impressed the hell outta me.

Anyway, your comments have reinforced my belief that I obtained a quality net minder.

I completely respect your insight and opinion on all things goalie. Thanks for the great critiques!!
    @SmittysRant

The King of Diatribes

No problem!!!!!! I am overwhelmed (in a good way) at all of these great questions. Just like actual goalies they are all unique and fun to dissect and I enjoy taking the time to provide in-depth responses.

I have to run to the bank and go food shopping since I was running a tournament all weekend but I will be back shortly to continue answering questions!! I should have started one thread and put all of the questions in there, but oh well it's too late for that now.

Just realize that you are not always going to get the best answers when it comes to goalies if you look to analysts and writers that don't cover JUST goalies. They are swayed by opinions from other writers and fans and readers.

Anyone who thinks Jaroslav Halak is a "one year wonder" is not keen on the position and what it takes to be a great goalie. Sure, Halak might struggle, but it won't be because he was a one-year wonder. Goalies are creatures of habit, they exhibit signs that prove whether they have the skill and the mental tougness needed to win games at the NHL.

Halak has exhibit millions of signs in some very high-intensity and important hockey games that lead any goalie scout to believe he's a quality goalie worth owning in any keeper league. There might be a bit of an adjustment next season, playing in the West, slightly smaller leg pads (maybe) and being in a different system and city. But it won't change the fact that he's technically skilled and one of the most cool, calm and collected goalies in the world.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Justin,

Looking for your expert opinion to my goaltending issue...15 team keeper league with goalie cats being GAA, and SV%. I currently have Brodeur $10.20, Price $4.00 and Neuvirth $3.00, and can only protect two of them. What makes this a little harder for me to decide on, is that our league has an $80 salary cap for the full 20 man roster (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, and 2G), and while Brodeur could still have another brilliant season in him, Letting him go woukd give me a lot more available cap space to address other needs at our auction draft. I need to hear your opinion on this, and which 2 woukd you hold and why?

Thanks in advance,

Puck
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy