Thread: Various euro goalie questions

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Various euro goalie questions

1) What's your take on Dennis Endras now that he's signed with Minny for 11-12? Starter potential? Ahead or below Hackett in the depth chart? Ahead or below Kuemper?

2) There were rumblings Irro Tarkko would head to NA this summer, but that hasn't happened yet. Hearing any rumors/news on this front? Is he good enough - as in, starter potential - to wait on should he be signed next summer?

3) In one of my leagues I own Larsson and Ramo. Is the fact that they will be in Europe this season reason to cut bait on them, or could they still return?

4) In another league I own Pechurski and Simila. Are they still in their organizations' plans? Is their potential high enough to keep in the hope they come back to NA?
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

The King of Diatribes

Love the Euro goalies!!!!!!!!!

1. Love Endras. He competes extremely hard and has really slick footwork, so what he lacks in size he more than compensates for with his quickness and solid play. I don't think he's affected by big bodies in front of him like other smaller goalies, he's really good at staying anchored in the net but still seeing around screens. I really like him a lot, and it was so exciting to watch him compete really well in the Olympics ... that might have been oone of the reasons he ended up on Minnesota's radar. Great to see some German goalies getting looks with the likes of Thomas Greiss and whatnot. I would say "fringe starter potential" since he's still playing overseas this season and he's right below Hackett, but above Kuemper for sure. I'd say it's Backstrom, Harding, Khudobin, Hackett, Endras, Kuemper for their goalie prospects.

2. I have not heard anything about Tarkko recently but I will ask some of my buddies overseas and update this thread with any news. Don't think he has that kind of upside worth waiting on but he's definitely a goalie to watch. But I wouldn't get my hopes up until something more substantial comes out.

3. I think it's time to let Larsson go. The way he left the Red Wings system was not good, so it will damage his reputation around the league. His size is just about the same to Jhonas Enroth, so going back to play in Sweden is a giant step back in his progression. It's not a good situation for Larsson, especially with Detroit drafting Petr Mrazek and putting more faith in McCollum and Jordan Pearce.

Karri Ramo is still a quality prospect to own and we could see him back in North America next season. But that will depend on what happens with some of Tampa Bay's other prospects. It might be tough for him to come back over since Janus and Tokarski are really quality prospects logging all of the AHL minutes. But he hasn't lost any value like Larsson has, so I would still retain Ramo, as he could return and thrive in North America no problem.

4. I am sure they are still in both organizations' plans, but don't vest too much interest in either one. Pechursky had his five minutes of fame when he took over that one game for John Curry, but it will be a few years before he's able to handle an AHL or ECHL job in North America. I don't know if we'll ever see his name in bright lights again. Simila is just a crazy work in progress and he'll need even more time to refine his game to the point he's pro material. By all accounts his short stay in the CHL was terrible and going back to when Montreal drafted him, it was just on a wing and a prayer!!

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Love the Euro goalies!!!!!!!!!
    I think it's time to let Larsson go. The way he left the Red Wings system was not good, so it will damage his reputation around the league. His size is just about the same to Jhonas Enroth, so going back to play in Sweden is a giant step back in his progression. It's not a good situation for Larsson, especially with Detroit drafting Petr Mrazek and putting more faith in McCollum and Jordan Pearce.
    If this is the case, does McCollum's value rise (#73 on your list)?
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

The King of Diatribes

Yep! He already went up 7 spots from 80 to 73 at the beginning of the month =) Already time to start thinking about the next update!