Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leafs/Sharks Fit?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Leafs/Sharks Fit?

First of all, disclaimer: not a Leafs fan.

But is it just me or does there seem to be an obvious fit here? San Jose is laden with centre ice talent with Thornton, Marleau (natural), Pavelski and Couture, but requires a suitable replacement for Blake and overall defensive depth. Toronto has obvious parts to spare on defense (Kaberle) but has a need for a front line centre.

I don't think Wilson would be adverse to moving Thornton, but above and beyond Kaberle, I don't see the Leafs having what is takes to get it done (top six winger or picks).

A Couture/Kaberle scenario is intriguing, but complicated. In addition, the Sharks would need the Leafs to eat a salary laden asset(s) plus I'm not sure Wilson would be willing to move cheap talent.

Regardless, at both ends, something has to give soon. Doesn't it?

Not usually one to speculate, but my hockey buzz has been in recession lately.
    12 team keeper league - count top 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G - points only, goalies (W +1, SO +2, SV +0.1, GA -1). Keep 8 + 1 Goalie.
    C - Pavelski, Backstrom, Kopitar
    LW - Ovechkin, P. Kane, Gaudreau
    RW - Giroux
    D - Gostisbere
    G - Fleury

10 team keeper league - roto, start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 1F, 4D, 1U, 2G - Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, GWG, SOG, W, S%, SO
    C - Tavares, T. Johnson, Stepan, Kreijci, Hertl, Bennett
    LW - Hall, Ladd, Lucic, E. Kane
    RW - Kucherov, Silfverberg, Duclair
    D - Burns, Barrie, Hamilton, Rielly, Klefbolm, A. Larsson
    G - Holtby, Bishop

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i think there was ******ed talk about the leafs going for thornton in a deal with kaberle, and then the sharks going for kovalchuk lol. no chance of it happening though. i believe couture was the guy the sharks drafted with the 1st the leafs gave up for toskala. pavelski wont be moved, and marleau just resigned too. so its either thornton or couture, but i doubt either of them comes to toronto.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Sharks are not giving away Joe Thornton for Kaberle, when they already have a better Kaberle in Dan Boyle, and other bullshit. It just wouldnt happen.

Agreed....don't see Thornton to Leafs either. And obviously it would take substantially more than Kaberle, which Toronto doesn't have to give. Just thought given Thornton's playoff woes and Wilson making public references to a "shake-up", it just wouldn't surprise me he goes somewhere, despite his contract.

I know I would be looking at it seriously given the assets at hand in SJ.
    12 team keeper league - count top 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G - points only, goalies (W +1, SO +2, SV +0.1, GA -1). Keep 8 + 1 Goalie.
    C - Pavelski, Backstrom, Kopitar
    LW - Ovechkin, P. Kane, Gaudreau
    RW - Giroux
    D - Gostisbere
    G - Fleury

10 team keeper league - roto, start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 1F, 4D, 1U, 2G - Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, GWG, SOG, W, S%, SO
    C - Tavares, T. Johnson, Stepan, Kreijci, Hertl, Bennett
    LW - Hall, Ladd, Lucic, E. Kane
    RW - Kucherov, Silfverberg, Duclair
    D - Burns, Barrie, Hamilton, Rielly, Klefbolm, A. Larsson
    G - Holtby, Bishop

Dobber Sports Master

It would be a good fit for Thornton.

At least with the Leafs nobody would be able to question his playoff performance!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post

At least with the Leafs nobody would be able to question his playoff performance!
    Thanks for coming out tonight! Everyone, dont forget to tip your waiter!

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post

I lol'd!

Not sure if this was a legit rumour I heard about, or just talk...but I remember hearing something about Clowe in return for Kabs.
    One Year Standard H2H League
    10 teams

C: Sedin, Zetterberg, M. Richards
    LW: Morrow, Cammalleri, Kovalchuk, Huselius
    RW: Perry, Gaborik, Sharp, Antropov, Ryan
    D: Weber, Campbell, Bieksa, E.Johnson
    BN: Dumont, Havlat
    G: Brodeur, Huet

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

San Jose is a great fit for Kaberle, but I'm not sure what they can move. Already thin up front - Couture is the 3rd line C and will see PP time.

Their defense is absolutely horrendous 4-6. Demers, Huskins, and Wallin. Ouch.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Legend

A Clowe-ish package for Kaberle makes some sense.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Newbie

Do any of you ever get out of the Leafs ass? Ignorant town, Ignorant team, ignorant fans, run by ignorant people...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thanks AlSid Crosvechkin. Thanks for you valuable contribution to our discussion.

I would love to land Couture for Kabs, but I don't see the Sharks making that deal. Clowe would be nice too, but as long as they have Boyle, regardless of their shallow blue line they won't be desperate enough to trade with Burke for Kabs.

Burke wants a lot and so he needs a team, that NEEDS a Kaberle type defender so that he can deal from a position of strength. In other words the Leafs need Clowe or Couture more than the Sharks need Kaberle.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Initiate

Do any of you ever get out of the Leafs ass? Ignorant town, Ignorant team, ignorant fans, run by ignorant people...
    Wow that was really insightful and articulate

Dobber Sports Master

The Leafs could easily double their return on Kaberle if were under contract for 3 more years instead of 1.

If I were a GM I'd be worried about shipping off assets and 12 months later being left with nothing for them. This, I think, is more of a concern for Western teams since there is the travel question that pops up with 30+yr old free agents.
    Tough situation for Burke... a lot of teams would like to have Kaberle, not so many are willing to pay well for him (as opposed to waiting for next year's free-agency).

oh... and as for my earlier comment, I forgot this:

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?...shot&play=true

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by AlSid Crosvechkin View Post
    Leafs asses, I think you mean. Although I have yet to see a Leaf with even one ass.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by AlSid Crosvechkin View Post
    Hah hah I love how people read this, laugh at you and then move on.

Good luck fitting in here acting like that.

I'm no Leafs fan, but this actually makes some intriguing sense.