Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Final - Chicago vs. Philadelphia

Dobber Sports Prodigy

2 really good teams firing on all cylinders... they are both gritty, skilled and fast. Although Philly pretty handily beat Montreal, I have to go with Chicago. The Hawk's swept a team like San Jose, which is no easy task. They are very similar to Philly, big, skilled, and gritty and Chicago handled them pretty well. Philly will be in tough, especially with Leighton in net. Hawks in 6.

Dobber Sports Ace

At first I wasn't too interested in this matchup.. The more I think about it, we could be in for some GREAT games. It's a nice change from the usual suspects in the cup finals. If I had to pick a team to cheer for it would have to be CHI. I think they're capable of winning in 4. Something tells me it will be in 5 and they will hoist it at home.

Dobber Sports Sage

Thinking about it more, it's actually amazing how close these teams are.

Neither goalie is a household name. Both teams had question marks in net at the start of the playoffs. And both teams' goalies are exceeding all expectations.

On defense, Chicago has a great shutdown pair in Keith and Seabrook while Philly has Pronger. Both have strong defenses but I like the Flyers group better.

Both teams have three strong lines. I would assume Laviolette matches Richards against Toews when he can. Quenneville will match Bolland against Richards when possible.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I said it in the Philly/Montreal thread, and I'll say it again here for the record . . . Flyers in 6.

The Flyers are very deep defensively, and this series is going to put that depth to the test. The Devils are the best offensive team the Flyers have faced this postseason, and they only scored 2.63 goals per game this season (19th in the league). Boston and Montreal scored 2.39 (30th) and 2.56 (26th) respectively, and Montreal scored the least number of 5 on 5 goals this year. Chicago was the third highest scoring team in the NHL (3.2 G/GP), and only Washington scored more even strength goals. Pronger and company are going to have their hands full.

Of course the regular season is over and done with, and if you just went by regular season stats the Flyers would have been eliminated ages ago. I just think it's important to not how much more prolific this offense is when compared to what the Flyers have faced already.

These are two very evenly matched teams here, both with amazing scoring depth and talented bluelines, and this is going to be one HELL of a series. There's something about the Flyers this year though. It's hard to put your finger on it but it just seems like they refuse to lose. That isn't to say that any team wants to lose or anything, but the Flyers have played these playoffs with a such a sense of purpose, of desperation, and have overcome so much that I can't see them losing now. Maybe it's the Pronger Effect vs. the Hossa Curse that's making me go with Philly, or maybe it's just homer bias. Either way, I can't wait till Saturday.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Much of the series will depend upon the officiating. If the Hawks are allowed to play Whack-a-Goalie like they did against Vancouver and Luongo, then they have a decided advantage. I do think it will be much more difficult for the Hawks to get access to Leighton as the Flyer top four includes the 6'6" Pronger and 6'5" Coburn.

It will be fun to watch if Byfuglien can be effective while playing against a bruiser like Pronger. I don't know how well Kane will matchup against some beefy D-men. I have no doubt about how Toews will match up. He's a gamer, as is Mike Richards.

Hawks in 6 for me.

Banned

wow the Flyers faithful have really lined up at the koolaid trough for this one! Honestly, aren't you guys worried? Other than the first game against MTL I don't think the Flyers played especially well, they played better than the Habs to be sure but I thought the Habs looked tired and off their game for large portions of this series. When the Habs did play well for a few stretches the Flyers were completely back on their heels...I dunno, this just does not look like a Stanley Cup champion team to me, sure they have great depth and they show great grit and intensity but its not consistent enough from what I've seen...the Hawks on the other hand look scary good, Hawks in 4 or 5 games I think

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I am taking the Flyers in 7. Sorry Hossa.

Anyone able to get their hands on either Chicago or Philly tickets? If so, PM me. I see they are going at some ridiculous prices but I have a few buddies who are diehard Hawks and Flyer fans. I myself, would go to either city.

Cheesesteak or Deep Dish?
    I want them both and about 20 beers to wash them down with. Hopefully I can get down to one of the cities to watch these games either in persona or in a local bar.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

At first I thought Hawks, easily. But the long break clearly advantages the Flyers. Carter's foot will have a huge impact on these series.

People forget howgood this Philly team is because of the regular season floundering. This was a team many picked as Cup contenders when they signed Pronger. They have depth up front, a ridiculously good top 4 on D.

This could be a spectacular series.

Worth watching:
    Buff vs Pronger
    Toews vs Richards
    Gagne vs Bolland
    Hossa waking up could make the difference.
    10 Team Keeper (keep 15)
    G,A,+/-, Playoffs
    F: Crosby, Malkin, Parise, Giroux, Vanek, JVR, Pavelski, Clowe, Neal, Havlat, Roy, Frolik, Hodgson, Perron, Parse, Bertuzzin, Knuble, Bourque, Read
    D: Green, Boyle, Letang, White, Gragnani, Greene, Michalek
    G: Miller,Howard, Reimer, Emery

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I also bet the Flyers to win the cup back in august so I have to take them

Banned

Richards has more balls than Toews and actually celebrated the trophy he and his team just won. I want him to win because of this.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
    At first I wasn't too interested in this matchup.. The more I think about it, we could be in for some GREAT games. It's a nice change from the usual suspects in the cup finals. If I had to pick a team to cheer for it would have to be CHI. I think they're capable of winning in 4. Something tells me it will be in 5 and they will hoist it at home.
    After sleeping off the effects of a long weekend of campfires, beer, steak, pickerel, golf, fishing.. I'm really excited to watch Toews vs. Richards and think the series could be longer than 4 or 5 as I said yesterday.. Was only able to hear the wknd games on the radio. After watching Richards steamroll everyone in sight on the highlights, he's the one who seems like he's on a MISSION...

I don't care who wins but am pumped to see this matchup.

p.s. what kind of Dbag quotes himself?!?

Cheers to a great finals!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Ttigers View Post
    At first I thought Hawks, easily. But the long break clearly advantages the Flyers. Carter's foot will have a huge impact on these series.

People forget howgood this Philly team is because of the regular season floundering. This was a team many picked as Cup contenders when they signed Pronger. They have depth up front, a ridiculously good top 4 on D.

This could be a spectacular series.

Worth watching:
    Buff vs Pronger
    Toews vs Richards
    Gagne vs Bolland
    Hossa waking up could make the difference.
    My thoughts exactly. I can't wait to see how Buff/Pronger square off.

Dobber Sports Pro

Anyone saying Chicago in 4 is ridiculous. A good rest for both teams will put them at full and this series will be a battle.

Richards v Toews is going to be great.
    Buff v Pronger - I suspect that the refs will get in play here when Pronger gets rough..
    Giroux v Kane - I want Giroux to show up Kane and plant himself in superstar status.

Flyers in 6.

Split in CHI (OT victory), Win both at home, Lose in CHI, clinch at Home.

Fix the mental lapses we endured in the MTL series and focus on shot blocking and stick poking... CHI is a fast team and I think stick poking the puck away will frustrate them.
    Follow me on X! Renegade_H

16 team Banger league
    G,A,PPP,BLK,HITS,PIM,SOG,W,GAA,S%,SAVES

FWDS
    Robertson, Stamkos, Kyrou, Huberdeau, Necas, Carlsson, Rossi, McMichael, Coleman, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Kuzmenko, Hathaway, Hoglander, Domi, Barbashev, Newhook

DMEN
    Montour, Burns, Hanifin, Sanheim, Walman, Pionk, Provorov

GOALIES
    Fluery, Montembeault, Wedgewood, Raanta

Injured
    F. Andersen, Landeskog, Hamilton

PROSPECT POOL
    Kasper, Moore, Ostlund, Yurov, Morrow, Zellweger, Nazar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Personally, I'm just looking forward to some good hockey. Its a battle of Team Canada's 4th liners who brought it every game in the Olympics and have now taken their respective teams to the cup final.

I think the Versteeg/Madden/Ladd line can be big for Chicago and Niemi will out duel Leighton.

I'll go with Chicago in 6.
    [SIZE=1]WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Initiate

Like I said before, it's teh combination of the Hossa Cirse and the Pronger Effect that's gonna give the Flyers the edge! lol

For those of you predicting a Chicago steamroll, here are some things to consider.

Postseason record:
    Philly: 12-5-1 Chicago: 12-4

Goals per Game:
    Philly: 3.18 Chicago: 3.31

Goal Against per Game:
    Philly: 2.12 Chicago: 2.5

5 on 5 GF/GA:
    Philly: 1.39 Chicago: 1.24

PP%:
    Philly: 20.7 Chicago: 22.6

PK%:
    Philly: 87% Chicago: 86.6%

These are two very evenly matched teams, and the fact that one is a 2 seed and the other's a 7 doesn't change that. This is going to be one hell of a series. The Flyers score a little bit less than Chicago, but they're also a little better defensively. Chicago has the better PP, but the Flyers are a little better 5 on 5. When the skill evens out like this you've got to try and pick based on the other things, and I just like the Flyers drive and never say die attitude. Well, that and I'm a Flyers fan, lol.

I'm not calling anybody stupid for picking the Blackhawks or anything, but much like the guys who were predicting the Habs in four or five (you know who you are, lol) I'll tell you that this team is a lot better than you might think. They have amazing depth acorss the board, and will not go down without a fight.