Thread: Frederik Andersen: Draft Sleeper?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Frederik Andersen: Draft Sleeper?

Perusing the results and stats from the IIHF WC, Denmark's 4-1 upset of the Fins immediately caught my eye. Pekka Rinne pulled a crapper for the Finns, giving up 3 goals on 16 shots. But on the other side of the ice, a guy i'd never heard of called Frederik Andersen saved 36 of 37. So I looked the guy up.

Well, this guy's yet to turn 21 (born Oct 1989), which makes him still draft eligible for 2010 (European players who haven't played in North America are still eligible if their 21st birthday is during the draft year). He's also massive, standing 6'4''/220. He had a breakout year and dominated the Danish league, leading it in save percentage, and second only to Alfie Michaud (two games with the Canucks in 99-00) in goals against, though since Michaud's back up had similar numbers to Michaud, I guess they both just benefited from a trap system. Andersen is signed in Denmark for another season.

So, just judging by the numbers, he's one to watch at the WC. Obviously, the Danish league is a pretty weak league - the goalscoring leader was Brett Lysak, former Regina Pat and Canes 2nd rounder who played 2 games in the show - but more performances like this at WC should raise his stock significantly.

But numbers don't tell all, of course. Anyone know more about him or seen the game and can speak to his style, skill etc.?
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Re:

Haven't seen him in action but the same things that you mentioned caught my eye heading into the tournament... MVP of the Danish league this year, combined with size & age should mean that with a good show at the WC that he's worth a late round pick. Obviously it would be nice to see him step up a level (or two) and show what he can do there.

Good find fzusher! I wonder if Justin has this guy on his radar?

Anderson has had some success in his career as a member of the Danish team that won gold medals in the U18 WJC Div 1B in 06/07 and the U20 WJC Div 1A the same year. Note that these teams featured Mikkel Boedker and Lars Eller.

It certainly might be interesting to see how this prospect develops.