Thread: Sell on MPS?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Sell on MPS?

I own MPS in my league. Although I am high on his NHL potential I am concerned about his situation in EDM. Likely EDM will select Hall who is a LW. Currently they have Penner, Hemsky and Eberle as top 6 wingers. With Hall, there will be no room for MPS. Eberle & Hemsky are RW, although i feel Eberle could play LW as well. A trade could happen but even so, he isnt likely to see top PP time and pt potential could be limited to 60ish. Especially when Hall (who I think is a cant miss player) will eat up the top LW minutes for a LONG time. Even if Penner is traded that is a pretty soft top 6 unit.

Would you trade MPS before this situation becomes apparent to others or just wait it out and see what happens in EDM. Im kind of hoping they trade the pick and select Seguin.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

MPS is likely 2 years out at least. He won't be in EDM until then and if he makes the team then he might be eased in via the 3rd line (kind of like berglund). I think by the time MPS is ready to make his impact at the NHL level you won't see the logjam at wing in EDM. Hemsky, Penner might be out of town by then. I wouldnt panic yet, he is a few years away.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

If the Oilers trade the pick to take Sequin, they would have to specifically trade it to the Bruins for the 2nd OA pick. What's the likelihood of that? Not likely in my mind - from a marketing persective alone - having a first overall on the ice will sell tickets.

So to the question of trading MPS - yeah I think you should. Your logic makes sense. However, if you don't get back something of equivalent value then you may live to regret it. What do you think you can get for him?

Dobber Sports Guru

talent always prevails. MPS will force his way on that team when it is time. worst case i suppose is a JVR situation, but he's better. if you're looking for bigger production sooner than that, then yes, you might try to find a buyer.

Dobber Sports Veteran

All depends on what you can get for him. Like people above said, if he becomes as good as some project him to, it doesn't matter what his situation is like, he will put up points.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Demi-God

As soon as I hear someone wincing about the possibility of a guy getting delayed on his way to his appointed destiny, it seems right to get on with trade talks. It a simple as being needs driven. Duklanation has already implied his desire to have MPS producing sooner than later - it becomes strategic at that point, not a matter so much of player valuation. Get a comparable player with a better time line then there are no issues.
    Last edited by Shoeless; April 25, 2010 at 7:47 PM.

Dobber Sports Pro

In my league, protecting prospects is very limited. We did this to better enable poor teams to rebuild. So you must factor in how quickly they will at least break into the NHL let alone produce decent #'s. I have a lot of guys as prospects so I may look to package him but its hard to say what I could get right now. Unless the guy was a #1 pick, prospects are heavily discounted in my league. But if MPS does take 2 yrs to come over I would look to trade him right away, thats too long.

Dobber Sports Star

I'm not sure why people think it's going to take MPS so long to get over here. He posted better numbers in the SEL this year than Kopitar and Backstrom did at the same age. Kopitar came over the next year and posted 61 points in 71 games in his rookie season on a bad Kings team. He hit 77 points in his sophomore season.

Backstrom stayed in Sweden an extra year, but when he came over he posted 69 points in his rookie season on a slumping Caps team. Then hit 88 points in his sophomore season.

I think MPS will come over next year or the year after that, and when he does he will make an immediate impact. Elite players have a way of forcing their way onto a team.
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013

Dobber Sports Initiate

I traded MPS and a 2nd round draft pick (only two rounds) near the deadline this year for Vanek because I had questions. Mainly, when he was going to come over from Europe. I had heard he was at least two years away from coming over at the time. He still has some good upside and I wouldn't sell low on him but if you can get an established player for him (maybe someone like Vanek who had a bad year) I would strongly consider it. The whole Edmonton franchise has been under fire lately and MPS Dad and agent have already gone public with their concerns. That's not good news. Who knows how long you'll have to wait for MPS to show up and how long it'll be before he puts up fantasy pts.

If you can, shop him on the down-low and see what you can get. I'd take a proven NHL guy who will (should) produce for the next two years over the potential MPS will have once he comes over and establishes himself.
    Team 1
    C: Kuznetsov
    LW: Ovechkin, Hall, Gaudreau, Huberdeau
    RW: Perry, Voracek, Nyquist
    D: Hedman,
    G: Schneider, Hellebuyck*
    Prospects: Lazar, Mantha, Bjorkstrand, Gillies, P.L. Dubois, Konency
    * Prospect Bonus

Team 2
    C: Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, Coyle
    LW: Saad, Lucic, van Reimsdyk, Kuznetsov
    RW: Ovechkin, Connolly