Thread: Kevin Shattenkirk....where does he fit in??

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Kevin Shattenkirk....where does he fit in??

I currently have three draft picks in the top 16 in this year's amatuer draft; two 1sts(one will be either 1st, 4th or 5th overall depending on lottery result; the other will be 12th) and one 2nd(16th overall).

Shattenkirk has been passed over the past two drafts( I should have taken him last season with my last pick; that's another story), but I'm really considering taking him in this years draft.

Guys in my keeper league rarely use a draft pick on d-men; i'm pretty much the exception. In the past two years I've drafted Bogosian, Doughty, Hedman and Gragnani.

I'm pretty sure I can get him with my 2nd round pick; if he goes before that i'd be surprised.

I know Dobber is very high on him; i'e liked what I've read about him from the small bits I've seen.

What can the rest of Dobber Nation tell me about Kevin Shattenkirk??
    on fantasy hockey hiatus!!!

Dobber Sports Icon

I haven't seen him play a lot (mostly at the WJC in 2008) but his skating style reminds me of Rafalski. Not a big guy but moves the puck very well and made some nice outlet passes.

From a lot of what I've read, it looks like the Avs thought he was almost ready out of training camp this season, but they wanted to give him one more year in BU, where he was named the team's captain.

I would be very surprised if he didn't play at least 50 games next year for the Avs, or even the entire season. There isn't really any high-end talent on the Avs blueline, and although their D is good, I think he will get every chance to make the team. They really need an elite puck-moving D, and he may be the answer.

I would grab him while you can.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Administrator

I agree with my man P-Dog. He's got elite puck moving skills and while he doesn't have a big shot but he's very accurate and knows how to get the puck through traffic. I think he's got a spot with his name on it next season. It's the one piece the Avs have really been missing. Quincey was a good fit for a while but really isn't a #1 guy, Liles should have worked out but he's been in and out of Sacco's dog house all year. Next season will be a real test of Sacco's coaching accumen, as we've seen time and time again he can get the most out of young forwards, but now we'll see if he can bring along a good young rearguard. I have Shattenkirk earmarked for success and is one guy I'd kill to have on my roster.

To be fair though, the Avs do have a slew of young Dmen who will be coming to camp next season, all of them gunning for a roster spot. They'll have a lot of decisions to make this offseason with Foote, Salei, and Clark all UFAs, as well as Quincey as an RFA. They may also choose to move Liles if Sacco doesn't think he can stay in his good books. What this means is lots of openings for the likes of Shattenkirk, Colby Cohen (his BU defenseman partner), Stefan Elliott, Tyson Barrie, Joel Chouinard, Cameron Gaunce, and current NHLer Ryan Wilson. That's a lot of competition but none of these guys are as highly touted or have the track record of Shattenkirk so I'd count on him coming out on top.

So as P-Diddy says get him while he's still available because if anyone in your league gets a sniff of his talent, he won't be available for long.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Icon

(Thanks md - but let's just stop the P-Diddy stuff right here )
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Administrator

Fine, how about Master P?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I know Shattenkirk has ALOT of hype but... His partner in crime, Colby Cohen got 30 points this year (32 the year before) while Shattenkirk only managed 29 this year (28 the year before). Yet people are calling Cohen a "shut down defenseman." and Shatt an offensive mastermind. What are the chances Cohen steals the spot from under Shattenkirk? Or at least makes the team right beside Shattenkirk and they continue to be a pairing?

Administrator

I've never heard Cohen described as a shutdown guy. He's clearly an offensive defenseman and needs to work on his game in his own end, if anything. I think you could attribute his added points to dumb luck or perhaps his tendency to take bigger risks than Shattenkirk, which one can do with a steady guy like Shattenkirk as a partner. It's entirely possible that they keep the tandem together, see my previous post for why they might get a chance, but Cohen might be better served working on his game in the A. Shattenkirk projects as the better player though, so don't misconstrue the statement of Cohen's aggressive play as a reason to peg him higher than Shattenkirk.

Dobber Sports Ace

I've heard that Cohen has some work to do in his own end. He has received some high praise from BU's well known coach (who's name escapes me now), saying something along of lines of him having the best shot of any dman he's ever coached. Things are definitely looking up on the back end for the Avs. Had the influx of youth up front this year and the youth is coming on strong on d. Shattenkirk,Cohen,Gaunce,Elliott,Barrie to go with Wilson,Cumiskey,Quincey already on the team. I have a feeling there may be only one opening next year though. The favourite would be Shattenkirk. Looking forward to seeing him in the fall.
    20 team h2h (multi-cat) dynasty league, 1st season
    C: Getzlaf, MacKinnon, Eakin, Backlund, Schroeder, Bjugstad, Miller, Gaustad
    LW: M Foligno, Wilson, Tatar, Bailey, Palat
    RW: Ovechkin, Voracek, Frattin, Coyle, Clutterbuck
    D: Barrie, Del Zotto, Brodin, Vatanen, Gudas, Donovan, Murphy, Hamonic, Grossmann, Michalek
    G: Pavelec, Schneider, Enroth

Dobber Sports Expert

Jack Parker is the coach.

Shattenkirk is a great prospect. I'm expecting him in the NHL next year, and at least 30 for his rookie season. Shattenkirk, has 55-60 point potential.

IMO, KS will be the better defenseman and fantasy option than Cohen.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Cam Gaunce will probably be more used in the same role as a Dan Hamhuis. I have watched him several times and find it hard to believe the numbers he put up two years agao. Gaunce will NOT be in Colorado next year. His foot speed needs work too. He'll be a longer project for the Avs IMO

Dobber Sports Legend

I like Shattenkirk.

Taking his time arriving to the dance but is walking into a golden situation. Your Bogo, Doughty and Hedman picks were savvy; why stop now!
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports All-Star

thanks for the input guys.

This has made me conclude two things:

1) I should have used my last pick on him during last years draft and
    2) I wont let him get by me with my pick in this years draft.
    on fantasy hockey hiatus!!!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Cam Gaunce will probably be more used in the same role as a Dan Hamhuis. I have watched him several times and find it hard to believe the numbers he put up two years agao. Gaunce will NOT be in Colorado next year. His foot speed needs work too. He'll be a longer project for the Avs IMO
    Yeah Dean, most of the guys I mentioned are likely bound to head back to Major Junior or find themselves a spot in Lake Erie. And for most of them it'll be the best thing for their development. Just wanted to demonstrate the kind of organizational depth that the Avs have built on the back end. It's a long summer so great strides can be made by any of these prospects and if they come out and compete hard anything can happen.

Dobber Sports Guru

i didn't realize what a shitshow the Avs D looks like going into the summer:

Liles - 2 more years
    Hannan - 1 more
    Cumiskey - 1 more
    Wilson - 1 more (but 2-way... not a guaranteed NHLer)
    Quincey - RFA (assuming he will be brought back)
    Clark - UFA
    Salei - UFA
    Foote - UFA

i wonder how young they're willing to go next year?

Administrator

Well I think that they'll probably bring in a veteran or two to play the shutdown roles. The youngsters they are grooming for those roles haven't even gotten any AHL time so they'll need place holders until those kids are ready, but depending on what they do with Liles I think there could be as many as 3 open spots for some of their more offensive minded guys.

If Liles is kept, they sign a veteran and Quincey is brought back there's really only one opening, and that has Shattenkirk's name written all over it.