Thread: Gustaf Wesslau

The King of Diatribes

Default Gustaf Wesslau

Okay so I have to say, I am impressed.

Gustaf Wesslau might be a hidden gem that could play in the NHL in a few more years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woWUVoTdH0g

I watched that video and learned a lot. He has a lot of structure to his game. Great footwork. He has a similar upper body stance to that of Gustavsson. He stays very patient and sets his feet extremely well. He stops every single penalty shot except the last two.

Can anyone tell me anything about him other than what I've seen in this video??? Sentium I have to imagine you know a thing or two about him.

He looks like he could easily make some waves over here in North America. I like him!!!!

The King of Diatribes

OH MY **** IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!!!!!!

WESSLAU SIGNS A ONE-YEAR DEAL WITH THE BLUE JACKETS. WHAT A STEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting eerie.

Dobber Sports Guru

you gotta stop working for free JG, NHL teams are stealing your gems lol.

The King of Diatribes

LOL.

Expect Wesslau to be partnered with Lalande. LaCosta did not have a very good year and is more suited for full-time duty in the ECHL.

Lalande's season was really up and down as well, so Wesslau could easily jump to AHL starter territory by November or December of next season.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I already tweeted a few notes about him to you with my @dakkster account. This last season he's been a beast, both in the regular season and in the playoffs. He has ice in his veins. What sticks out to me about him is his ability to stay calm and composed and to always keep track of the puck and stay squared to it. Since he's so big he makes a bunch of saves just on positioning alone. Those quick feet help a lot there.
    GO WINGS!

The King of Diatribes

Nice! Thanks. Definitely excited to see what this cool cat can accomplish in AHL training camp. It's not hard to predict he will come out and surprise people. The foundation of his technique is extremely impressive. It meshes very well with the NHL style that is becoming more and more successful over the past two years.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

It seems like the deal with Columbs isn't completely finalized yet, but if he actually signs with them, with the little you've seen of him and know about him (numbers, etc), do you think he could displace Lalande out of camp?
    GO WINGS!

The King of Diatribes

Yeah, its weird how this hasn't been 100% confirmed, but I guess from what a source tells me that he's still looking at a few other offers. I'm not entirely sure where things stand at this very moment.

Regardless. if it is with Columbus, then yes, I expect him to take over Lalande's job by November-December-ish.

Dobber Sports Pro

Is it at all unreasonable to think he could play himself onto Columbus with a solid showing in camp?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Considering the contract statuses of Mason and Garon and the uncertainty of how he handles the day-to-day grind of NA hockey, I'd say that it's extremely unlikely. He'll have to play himself up from Syracuse.
    GO WINGS!