Thread: James Sheppard...what happened?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default James Sheppard...what happened?

For a kid with so much potential I have been disappointed with how he has played in his short career so far. Is he another bust or will he break out of this funk in the near future? Does he need a trade in order to get a fresh start like Muller, Latendresse, or Pouliot? What does everyone think?

Pikkenan

The Great One

Was given every chance to succeed early in the season, and didn't put up the points or production to keep the minutes up.

Now he has played under 10 minutes in 14 of the last 21 games!!!

He didn't take over PMB's minutes that the Wild were hoping for, and they reassured that with signing C. Wellman, who is debuting for the Wild tonight.

Should be fun to watch Wellman tonight!

Dobber Sports Guru

agreed on Wellman! in fact i find myself agreeing with everything i see from you today, FantasyGuru.

and yeah, classic Minnesota mistake. they rushed him into the NHL as an 18 year old when he should have played out his junior career and then had some AHL seasoning. Shephard was a good prospect but not THAT good. his skills weren't elite.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think he's ruined for good due to MIN mismanaging their high draft pick.

If he can't get it done in Minny (desparate for offense) then I don't see a change helping him (like the Muellers, Latendresse's and Pouliots).

A trade wouldn't hurt him but I just don't see the skill to be a top line player

Dobber Sports Initiate

I don't own him in any leauge but I'm wondering the same thing.... he had some hype when he was first drafted but he's been a disapointment so far. Is it the team? The system they play(ed)? Is he a victim of his "hype"?

Any Wild fans out there that hear the day-to-day news please let us know! He was a decent fantasy prospect at one point but he's really fallen off the map. Is it due to his hockey skills/knowledge or was he just over-advertised?
    Team 1
    C: Kuznetsov
    LW: Ovechkin, Hall, Gaudreau, Huberdeau
    RW: Perry, Voracek, Nyquist
    D: Hedman,
    G: Schneider, Hellebuyck*
    Prospects: Lazar, Mantha, Bjorkstrand, Gillies, P.L. Dubois, Konency
    * Prospect Bonus

Team 2
    C: Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, Coyle
    LW: Saad, Lucic, van Reimsdyk, Kuznetsov
    RW: Ovechkin, Connolly
    D: Byfuglein, Krug, Green, Lindholm, Savard
    G: Price, Varlamov, Anderson, Bernier, Pickard
    Prospects: Nurse, Milano, Hellebuyck, Jarry, Gillies, Chychrun

Dobber Sports Star

I agree that he hasn't lived up to expectations and I am starting to think that he never will. Just before the 08/09 season started, I traded Sheppard straight across for David Perron in my full keeper league. Pat myself on the back for that one...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Guru

Russo has said that he looks like he's starting to put things together a bit... playing his strongest hockey of his NHL career. it just hasn't shown up on the scoresheet yet.

Dobber Sports Guru

Minnesota rushed him in the league and hindered his development. This should be his rookie year in NHL, not his 3rd year in the league. He would have needed atleast one year in the AHL but that's not going to happen anymore since he would need to clear waivers in order to be sent down.

Minnesota screwed things with Sheppard just like Columbus did with Brule. Sheppard could still turn his career around but that would require a change of scenery.

Dobber Sports Pro

Sheppard operates in slow motion and needs to adjust to NHL speed. He hasnt yet and I dont expect it to happen in MIN. He needs a trade. He's never shown me much of anything to be honest.