Thread: Another young Swedish star on NHL radar

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Another young Swedish star on NHL radar

Could be a very interesting pick up in deeper keepers (not in the two i'm in, cause i picked him up already ... )

http://translate.google.ca/translate...ar&sl=sv&tl=en

Fredrik Petterson, 22, RW, 5'10''/193, drafted in the 5th round in 2005 by the Oilers, who expired his rights in 2007. Played for the Calgary Hitmen in 2005-2007, posting 43-50-93 and 97 PIM in 111 regular season games. was their 3rd in scoring, 2nd in goalscoring , 1st in playoff goalscoring, during the first year. Went back to Sweden and struggled the first two years with the powerhouse Frolunda, but this season has emerged as their best player, leading them in goals, tied with former NHLer Tomi Kalio in points, 3rd in PIM (67), and 4th in +/-. His numbers are much better than teammates Joel Lundquist and P J Axelsson, and he'll definitely should have been able to learn a lot from Axelsson this year. His 19 goals place him 6th in the Swedish Elite League.

The Hockeysfuture 2005 draft report on him says Kent Nilsson, the Oilers European scout (and father of Robert), badly wanted to draft him. At the time, Kevin Prendergast said this about him: “He’s all skill; he’s very competitive, he has excellent speed, he’s very deceptive with the puck and he creates very well, ... He has a lot of Schremp in him where he’s very patient with the puck and he’ll hold onto it until the last second. He finds holes and he makes the players around him better.”

His game seems to have changed in Sweden though. A more up-to-date Swedish site describes his pros and cons thus:

Assets: A fast skater and an excellent forechecker. Plays an intense and tough game despite his size. Good stickhandler and passer. Has a quick shot. Possesses a terrific work ethic and agitator qualities. A very good teammate. Captain material.
    Flaws: His size and strength can hold him back at times. His gung-ho style could lead to injury problems.

He himself says he thinks the smaller North American ice suites his play even better than the European ice, so it seems he may be NHL ready, though likely as a 3rd liner and spot 2nd liner. All the stats and reports make me think of a 20-goal agitator version of P J Axelsson, but makes me hope for an agitator version of Patric Hornqvist.

Anyone know more about him?
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Don't know much more then what you just posted other then I suspect he will stay in Sweden for his career. The guy is well liked from what I hear and it's a great hockey city that he plays for.

Dobber Sports Pro

He says in the linked interview that he's getting NHL interest and wants to come over; his contract has an NHL clause as well.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Oh wow, I completely passed over the link you had - oops!

That's actually very interesting to be honest. I remember following him closer when he was an Oiler prospect and it's great that he's progressed in his career to the point where maybe he could be back on a team somewhere.

Dobber Sports Pro

Do you remember what were the issues with him at the time? Why the Oilers gave up on him?

Dobber Sports Ninja

I am pretty sure it was just a combination of a few little things. He had a good camp, but his regular season and playoffs didn't blow anyone way. I seem to recall there were some size issues at the time as well.

Combine that with a crunch with the number of contracts the Oilers were carrying at the time and he was the victim of a bit of a numbers game.

I guess that could make him a bit of a candidate to get another chance...

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks. Interesting message. I'll certainly watch and see if he signs anywhere. Hope he's got a sharp agent that plans careers well, and that he goes somewhere that opportunity beckons!