Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hodgson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Hodgson

Hey Guys,

I have Hodgson on my team and have been debating for a good 2 months on whether or not I should cut ties with him and go for another prospect to stash (MPS, Colin Wilson, Schenn, Beach, eller, backlund etc).

I have been talking to a lot of people about hodgsons future and some people tell me his injury is pretty serious and might not be able to rebound from it while others tell me he should be back next year. I'll admit im scared of droppin him since he is considered a top notch prospect

thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated and thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

His injury is definitely a cause for concern, but I'd definitely hold on to him, at least to see how he does in his return. Return > Risk IMO.

Dobber Sports Guru

Put this in the Bergfors/Hodgson thread as well, but figured it might fit here better:

Found this article (keep in mind Hodgson's agent is the source):

Vancouver Canucks prospect Cody Hodgson is close to returning to playing hockey again.

Hodgson's agent, Don Meehan, said Sunday that Hodgson is making good progress in rehabilitating his injured back.

"He's coming along well," said Meehan, who went to the Maple Leafs game in Toronto with Hodgson on Saturday night.

"He's getting closer all the time. He's skating full out. Some of the muscles that relate to the whole process still have to get some jump."
    http://www.kelowna.com/2010/01/11/ag...th-back-rehab/

This is also hopeful for us Hodgson owners:

But for Hodgson, step one is to get back on the ice in a game situation.

"Cody's focus right now is on getting healthy," said Battalion head coach Stan Butler.

"I've made huge strides in the past couple of months," said Hodgson following Sunday's 2-1 overtime loss to the Guelph Storm. "But I still need some time."

Hodgson has been working out with his Battalion teammates and is still hopeful he'll be back on the ice sooner rather than later.

Hodgson feels he's getting closer to actually suiting up.

"I feel I'm game-ready," said the injured star. "My mind and hands are still there."

"The muscles have come back," said Hodgson. "But I still need the reflex, my 'quick twitch' back."

Sitting out since mid-September has been frustrating, for the player and fans, who've watched the team struggle offensively.

"There's no timeline yet (to my return)," concluded Hodgson. "Hopefully soon."
    http://www.theliberal.com/News/Sports/article/101432

Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Icon

ID CHECK THIS THREAD TOO:
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...d=1#post417692

Thou If I could get a BSchenn and/or an MPS(.....or even a Beach) for him Id do it.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Put this in the Bergfors/Hodgson thread as well, but figured it might fit here better:

Found this article (keep in mind Hodgson's agent is the source):

http://www.kelowna.com/2010/01/11/ag...th-back-rehab/

This is also hopeful for us Hodgson owners:

http://www.theliberal.com/News/Sports/article/101432

Keeping my fingers crossed!
    This post is definitely worth some rep. Thank-you
    20 team keeper: 20 players. no farm.
    Goals=2 pts---Assists=1 pt-----DG=3-----Wins=3.5-----SO=4

G: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen....Bobrovsky
    D: Fox....Bouchard....Letang....Heiskanen....Perunovi ch....Zellweger....Toews....Ekholm

F: Eichel....Caufield....J Robertson....W Nylander....Kucherov
    Eklund....W Johnston....Peterka....Fiala....Bratt

2012 Third Place
    2013 Runner Up
    2014 Iron League Champion
    2015 Iron League Champion
    2016 Runner-Up
    2017 Third Place

2018 4th
    2019 18th-rebuild

2020 10th
    2021 8th
    2022 7th
    2023 Third Place

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    ID CHECK THIS THREAD TOO:
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...d=1#post417692

Thou If I could get a BSchenn and/or an MPS(.....or even a Beach) for him Id do it.
    you know... this is sort of what i was thinking as well... i'd seriously consider swapping either B. Schenn or MPS in for hodgson.

Consider the following:
    reason(s) to keep hodgson:

- hodgson may arrive sooner to the NHL (though Kesler's arrival has likely slowed the need to bring hodgson along quickly) than any of the other guys mentioned...

reason(s) to cut ties:
    - i think hodgson's fantasy upside is very similar to the other players listed in the above quoted post. So you figure, you may have to wait longer if you make the swap, but you'll probably get similar production longterm (with less concern of frequent recurring injury).

- Hodgson was drafted 10th overall in 2008. Schenn was drafted 5th overall and MPS was drafted (very surprisingly) 10th overall. I have a good mind that Schenn and MPS are actually much more offensively gifted, whereas Hodgson is one of those amazing NHL players that does a bit of everything for his team (doesn't translate as well to fantasy stats).

- back injuries are very difficult to ever fully recover from. players who develop back problems usually become shadows of their former selves even after they return. several players have had their careers cut short by recurring back injuries. even with stellar rehab, i always cringe when i hear of back problems. Along with knees, it's just one of those things that can seriously shorten the length of any pro sport career.

- The fact that he's already having back issues, at such a young age... should be very troubling for a fantasy owner.

- If you really think about it... as much gametime as Hodgson's now missed, he's effectively got the same amount of experience as the 2009 draftees (Schenn and MPS). So there' not actually even a guarantee that he'll arrive (and start producing) quicker than either of them.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Back injuries are career killers. I would drop Hodgson for Schenn or MPS because they are just as talented but once a player starts going down the same path as Eric Daze,and to a lesser extent Eric Fehr, they usually don't come back 100%.
    20 Team League 25 man rosters keep 10

The Warriors:Current Keepers

C: Logan Couture
    LW: Max Pacioretty
    RW: Corey Perry
    D: PK Subban, Dustin Byfuglien
    G: Kari Lehtonen
    Others: Jeff Carter, Patrick Sharp, Jeff Skinner, Charlie Coyle

Dobber Sports Expert

No, Disagreement. I think that Hodgson won't be a Lindros or anything and will have a great career. Don't worry about those back problems. The reward is worth it, and he has around 90 point potential in my mind.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by lanky522 View Post
    you know... this is sort of what i was thinking as well... i'd seriously consider swapping either B. Schenn or MPS in for hodgson.

Consider the following:
    reason(s) to keep hodgson:

- hodgson may arrive sooner to the NHL (though Kesler's arrival has likely slowed the need to bring hodgson along quickly) than any of the other guys mentioned...

reason(s) to cut ties:
    - i think hodgson's fantasy upside is very similar to the other players listed in the above quoted post. So you figure, you may have to wait longer if you make the swap, but you'll probably get similar production longterm (with less concern of frequent recurring injury).

- Hodgson was drafted 10th overall in 2008. Schenn was drafted 5th overall and MPS was drafted (very surprisingly) 10th overall. I have a good mind that Schenn and MPS are actually much more offensively gifted, whereas Hodgson is one of those amazing NHL players that does a bit of everything for his team (doesn't translate as well to fantasy stats).

- back injuries are very difficult to ever fully recover from. players who develop back problems usually become shadows of their former selves even after they return. several players have had their careers cut short by recurring back injuries. even with stellar rehab, i always cringe when i hear of back problems. Along with knees, it's just one of those things that can seriously shorten the length of any pro sport career.

- The fact that he's already having back issues, at such a young age... should be very troubling for a fantasy owner.

- If you really think about it... as much gametime as Hodgson's now missed, he's effectively got the same amount of experience as the 2009 draftees (Schenn and MPS). So there' not actually even a guarantee that he'll arrive (and start producing) quicker than either of them.
    excellent post Lanky!

Dobber Sports Ace

As a Canuck fun i have to admit that I'm really worried as Hodgson is probably the most exciting (and most likely prospect to hit his potential) since Pavel Bure and this injury doesn't bode well for the future.

To me it's 50/50 that he ever plays 50 games in the NHL at this point, it's not like being an NHL center is easy on the back and his skating style doesn't help either.
    14 team keeper league (keep 15 plus 3 prospects)
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

C-E.Stall, Plekanac,Thorton, Turris, Little
    LW_Elias, Heatley (RW), Pacioretty
    RW-Erat
    D-Keith, Yandle, OEL, Giordano
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(Farm) Beau Bennett, Jaden Schwartz

Follow me on Twitter @HardyintheWack

(draft in process)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
    To me it's 50/50 that he ever plays 50 games in the NHL at this point, it's not like being an NHL center is easy on the back and his skating style doesn't help either.
    Don't you think that's taking things a little too far? Sure, his injury is worrisome and all, but to say that he may never play 50 games in an NHL season... that's quiiiite a stretch.

The fact that the injury is lingering is worrisome to say the least, but I would still wait on him, as I personally think that he will recover and though his development may be delayed, I don't see it becoming a recurring injury in his career. And his upside makes waiting worthwhile - he may not be an all-offense kind of guy, but he still has very good hockey sense and offensive instincts, and I can see him hitting the 85-point plateau multiple times in his career.

If he indeed recovers from his injury in the next month or so, the only thing I can see holding him back is the depth on the Canucks roster - with Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler firmly planted as the top two centers on the team, Hodgson will be forced to either play on the wing on the second line or center the third line (assuming he makes the team, which he should). The latter seems more likely, as the Canucks seem to want to bring Hodgson along slowly and get him acquainted with the NHL game before giving him top-6 minutes.

If it's any help, here's where I see his production over the next few seasons:

2010-11: 15 G, 20 A, 35 P
    2011-12: 20 G, 30 A, 50 P
    2012-13: 25 G, 35 A, 60 P
    2013-14: 30 G, 45 A, 75 P <---- Breakout season

That's how I see things working out, anyways. I know that a lot of factors can come into play over the course of 4 seasons, but barring any dramatic changes to the Canucks or devastating/recurring injuries to Hodgson, that's where I see his numbers over the next few years. I know one could call me biased as I am a Canucks fan, but I think that's a pretty fair and objective analysis.

I don't think any of the other prospects you mentioned will have that kind of an impact, but if you were more inclined to drop Hodgson, I'd recommend taking Schenn, Eberle (if he's available) or Eller. MPS is several years away from joining the Oilers (committed to Sweden for now), Wilson is more of a two-way guy, there's no room for Beach on the Hawks, and Backlund is a long-term prospect who probably won't even make the Flames before 2011-12. Schenn could make the Kings as early as next season and is very gifted offensively, Eberle is a lock to make the Oilers next season as they need the explosiveness that Eberle provides, and Eller should be given a shot next season with the Blues as Tkatchuk and others depart at the end of this season, and is also performing very well in the AHL. I would also consider Logan Couture, as he is simply ripping it up in the AHL right now and if he makes the Sharks next season, could be given a chance to shine sooner rather then later.

Anyways, I hope this helps.
    Salary-capped 30-team keeper pool

C: Lecavalier, O. Jokinen, Sobotka, Prust, Stone, Colborne, Skinner
    LW: Ott, Kariya, Filatov, Zharkov, Tambellini, Duco
    RW: Mueller, Kostitsyn, Vrbata, Neil, Zharkov, Petrov
    D: Phaneuf, Karlsson, White, Del Zotto, Foster, A. Greene, Babchuk, Goncharov, Josi, MacDonald, Ness
    G: Rask, Thomas, Holtby

FW Stats: P 2, +/- 2, PIM 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, GWG 2
    D Stats: P 4, +/- 2, PIM 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, GWG 2
    G Stats: W 10, L 0, OTL 5, SO 10, A 10, PIM 1

Dobber Sports Ace

Until he plays some games and proves that his back can take the toll my gut feeling is with the 50/50 propsosition, I wish it where not my feeling but it's there backs don't heal like other injuries and to have a serious one like this at 19 is well tragic.

I hope he goes on to play 1000 plus NHL games but until he plays again this gut feeling will linger.
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

RW-Erat
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(draft in process)

Dobber Sports Expert

Always trust your gut and heart in hockey, but I'm against your gut a lot. He's a very good player and other than his back, he's in great condition. Even Gabby will hit 500 games, and he's always injured.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Hodgson will be fine, I would definitely agree with your numbers. He is going to be a special player.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

I have no problems for the point projections as I beleive that Hodgson's overall makeup and skillset is extremely good but back injuries are not like other injuries they don't just heal up good as new, they are more often a condition that can be managed but never cured.

we just do not have enough vidence to predict how he will recover from an injury so young at 19, most of the back injuires that we have a record for are fro older players and their track record combined with his young age (ie. body not fully developed yet) is what gives me the concern.

As a Canuck fan I really hope that I'm wrong but using a bit of rational and gut feeling, man I want to see him play some games at some point after hearing all summer long that his injury "wasn't serious."

RW-Erat
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(draft in process)