Thread: Wolski Value at it Highest?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Wolski Value at it Highest?

Based on almost every topic thread i have seen on Wolski. Everyone seems to have the opinion that in the long term and this season he will never be a ppg player. I know he has been inconsistent in the past but this is still only his 4th year and so far this season he been pretty consistent and even has a great +/-.

I know he has been benched a couple of times already, but it seems like he is responding well based on his point production and plusminus.

So is he really just not that good and do you see his value at the highest right now? I wanted to see he how would start the year off before deciding on his future with my team. But most opinions i have seen so far seem to point at a Sell Now mentality with him. Thoughts?
    15 Team Keeper - 30 Player Roster, Full Keeper (Pts=1,W=2,SO=2,OTL=1)
    Weekly LineUps (2C,2R,2L,4D,1G)

C-Backstrom,Borgstrom,Schmaltz,Domi,J. Boqvist,Steel,Stepan,Vilardi
    RW-Atkinson,Fiala,Caufield,Terry,Radulov,Kailyev
    LW-Zucker,Ehlers,Formenton,Jost,Lindblom,Buchnevich
    D-Doughty,Hedman,Faulk,Barrie,Josi,K.Miller
    G-Fleury,Price,Hart,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lokguin View Post
    Based on almost every topic thread i have seen on Wolski. Everyone seems to have the opinion that in the long term and this season he will never be a ppg player. I know he has been inconsistent in the past but this is still only his 4th year and so far this season he been pretty consistent and even has a great +/-.

I know he has been benched a couple of times already, but it seems like he is responding well based on his point production and plusminus.

So is he really just not that good and do you see his value at the highest right now? I wanted to see he how would start the year off before deciding on his future with my team. But most opinions i have seen so far seem to point at a Sell Now mentality with him. Thoughts?
    yeah we could be wrong, he scored a beautiful goal the other night against the Oilers that gave me pause. I would say that if you can get ppg value or close to it via trade then yes by all means pull the trigger, otherwise he might finally be becoming a keeper!

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't know. I guess it is all about what you receive in return. If all you can get is a 50-60 pt player than I wouldn't do it as I think he can be at that level. I find it hard to think that someone will offer up a 70+ player for him. If you can get that, then I would do it. I doesn't hurt to try.

Colorado will be a good team and Wolski will be a big part of it.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

It took Wolski 4 years to put up good numbers in junior as well. He's a big guy, lanky and it may have taken a while to fill out all that height. I have him on my team and am not trading him. I think he will consistently flirt with 70 points, considering he will play with Stastny, who will flirt with 80+ now and in his prime. Throw in Duchene, even O'Reilly and the Avs could have 2 very good lines for a long time, which I think helps everyones stats.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I agree with McGoo about what value you should expect - if you don't get it, I would settle in for the ride - Wolski still doesn't have the currency in his reputation to garner a solid asset in return - but that might change dramatically if he strings together another 5 to 10 games like this.

The King of Diatribes

Since I cover the Avs I will give you some of my insight on Wolski's season to date.

The biggest difference between last year and this year doesn't have anything to do with his technical game, it's just all mental. For once, he is actually being pushed by the coach. Joe Sacco, who has already benched him for the third period in three games this season, is doing a great job of forcing him to skate hard every single shift, otherwise Wolski just won't play.

This has happened with other Avalanche players, who have responded well. Chris Stewart is the most recent one.

Personally I think Wolski's numbers look a little better than they actually are. He has always been strong the first two-three Avs home games of the season, this year being no different. Then every time Wolski is moved to center, he has two strong games until the opposition adjusts, then Wolski goes back to normal. Then he's pushed back to wing and has another 1-2 strong games, then goes back to normal. It's a vicious cycle.

The two games on this road trip, he's made some great moves, but took advantage of some weak defenses. Also, he is a Flames-killer, if you look back at his history against Calgary, he has very good numbers. This is another part of the vicious Wolski cycle - he

Although Wolski is clearly starting to play a little more consistently thanks to Sacco's influences, it's still not to the point that I would want to acquire him or trade for him.

It's actually pretty hilarious - Wolski will be totally lost in the defensive zone but because he has decent speed and GREAT hands, he will somehow find a way to score ... if given enough ice time.

Another thing I know about Wolski is that he's playing on a line that doesn't always match up against the opposition's top line. I don't call it the Avs' second line because Sacco is constantly switching things up, which is one of the reasons the Avs are so tough to play against (Granato never made changes on the fly ... Sacco does it almost every period). If Wolski were matching up against the other team's top line, I don't think he'd have such a good +/- or great numbers. Of course that's where Anderson's amazing goaltending comes into play.

Overall, I think Wolski is going to have a great year compared to LAST YEAR, but overall he's still completely lost in his own zone ... and terribly inconsistent.

Dobber Sports Genius

I play in two pools. I have Wolski in both pools.

Who else is there in Colorado? Coming through the proverbial TOP 6 forward discussion, you have no choice but to place Wolski high in Colorado. He's 1st PP by default. Thus, he'll continue to get lots of chances. He's clearly an offensive talent. Thus, even if he's not a 70 pointer, he should threaten for 60. He'll receive ample time to grow. Worst case scenario is he's a second liner (over the long haul). Best case scenario is that he and Stastny develop "special chemistry" and shoot 70+ over the long haul.

So, sell high? Yeah, but he may hit this level repeatedly in the coming years. Everyone has a hot month now and again! Remember Voros last year?!!!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd say he's got a high end potential of 70-75 pts with an expected return of 60. We already know his low end.

Good chance he hits 60 this year.

Dobber Sports Rookie

The jury is still out. He has a reputation of being a "soft" player - being easily pushed off the puck, but the way he went through four Calgary players last night, including Phaneuf, for the game winner was impressive. Remarkably, as good as he has been this year, he has still been in Sacco's dog house already.

I would move him for the right deal.

Dobber Sports Ace

As a non-Wolski owner, I can say if he was available on my leagues Waivers, I'd drop a guy for him without a hesitation, but there isn't much i'd be willing to give up in a trade with him, probably just Benn. If this is how most non-Wolski owners feel, you're much better off holding him and playing him.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Dobber Sports Stud

As a Wolski owner for 4 yrs now (thank you for the sympathy), I'm thankful for the hot start. I tried shopping him last year when he was NHL player of the week, and there was no interest.

I've been shopping him this year, and have gotten some decent offers, but not great ones.

The best have probably been Huselius or Horton. Neither of whom I like.

If I were you, I'd target a buy low candidate like D.Roy, B.Ryan or B.Boyes and hope you catch their owners sleeping at the wheel.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Rookie

Good idea - you can add Spezza and maybe Staal to that list, but they might have too much star power for Wolski despite their slow start.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Would you drop Backes for Wolski ? Start to loosing patience with Backes. anonye agrees or should i wait ?

thanks!
    Head to Head Limited Keepers (keep 2fwd + 1Def + 1goalie)
    12 teams, play:8f,4d,2g,5b
    G (1.5) -A-PPP-SHP - +-(0.5) -W(2) + SO(3)

F: Barkov - Seguin - Kopitar - Johansen - Keller - Gourde - Drouin - Perron - Atkinson - Gusev - Zucker - Hayes

D- Karslon - Fowler - Ghost - Nurse

G- Price - Kumper - Hutton

Dobber Sports Ace

Yes, I would drop Backes for Wolski,

And yes, Wolski is a sell high for a buy low kind of player. He has been kept in my league by another owner but was always available at draft and never scooped.
    10 Team Salary Cap Keeper League-protect up to 15
    Total of points and +/-; position vs. position (ie. my 2 Centres vs. his 2 Centres)
    C -Crosby, Ribeiro, Strome, Granlund
    LW -Neal, Nyquist, Johansson, TBD
    RW -Coyle, Eberle, TBD, TBD
    D -Streit, Phaneuf, Green, Keith, Letang, TBD
    G -S. Mason, TBD

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Italbro View Post
    Would you drop Backes for Wolski ? Start to loosing patience with Backes. anonye agrees or should i wait ?

thanks!
    I wouldn't drop Backes for him. Only because when St.Louis finally gets it going, he'll be a big part of that.
    If you figure Wolski to be a 60 pt player this year, he'll get you 47 the rest of the season.
    If you figure Backes to be a 50 pt player this year, he'll get you 48 the rest of the season.

It will all even out before season's end. Wolski's pace will slow, and Backes will find his groove.

Having said that though, I wouldn't trade my Wolski for Backes. The potential for 60+ is there
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford