Thread: Gustavsson Starts Tonight

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Gustavsson Starts Tonight

Just heard on the FAN590 that he gets the nod for Tuesdays game against Ottawa.
    Howard Burger (sp?) also said that Toskola's body language seemed really pissed off and frustrated. Could be the begging of 3 things: 1) Motivates Toskola to get back in form, 2) Creates a bad dressing room, 3) Maybe Toskola gets moved earlier then many (including myself) believe

As I leaf fan I only hope its either 1) or 3)
    11 GM Keeper League, 10F, 4D, 2G
    G,A, SHG, +/-, W, SO, S%
    F: J. Iginla, E. Staal, M. Richards, J. Spezza, B. Ryan, T. Hall, N. Zherdev, J. Hudler, S. Gagner, C. Kunitz
    D: D. Keith, A. Goligoski, P. Martin, R. Sutter
    G: MA. Fluery, S. Mason

Super Moderator

The only person Toskala should be pissed off at is himself. He had 2 games and he sucked the big one in both (and I'm a BIG Toskala supporter). Why not see what Gustavsson has? I don't see Toskala being moved though.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Should i dress the monster tonight?

I am first in a 20 team pool.
    Rotisserie scoring 7 offensive categories, 4 goaltending.
    Only one tender roster spot and i have steve mason as my starter 2 wins, 2.00 gaa, .947 sv%, no shutouts (not playing tonight) and the monster on my bench.
    Max goalie games is 88 for the season.
    I'm leaning towards wait and see (not dress) since I am already in first, but Ottawa are one of the easiest matchups of the season...
    Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Star

It's so funny comparing the likes of Toskala, Brodeur, Luongo, etc. The two marquee goalies have had equally bad starts and nobody is calling for their heads. I'm betting that is what Toskala is frustrated about.

Sometimes it takes goaltenders -- even the best ones -- some time to find their rhythm.
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by natgeo View Post
    It's so funny comparing the likes of Toskala, Brodeur, Luongo, etc. The two marquee goalies have had equally bad starts and nobody is calling for their heads. I'm betting that is what Toskala is frustrated about.

Sometimes it takes goaltenders -- even the best ones -- some time to find their rhythm.
    Except Toskala's slump has been over a year now, some say 2. I don't think it's really fair to compare Toskala to those other 2 (and again, I'm a big Toskala supporter).
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

The King of Diatribes

I said it after watching Toskala play in the opener and I'll say it again:

Toskala's style is out-dated. He is going the way of Giguere.

He needs to refine his style quickly and take a few steps out.

Think about Lundqvist for a second - plays deep in his crease in order to have a split second more time to react and make the save. He can get away with this because he's bigger and has longer arms and legs than Toskala.

In order to play better, he needs to take away time and space by playing higher up in his crease. Everyone knows it ... it's the most obvious thing ever. You know who else sees it?? Allaire. But it takes time to change this aspect of the goaltending position. Believe me, I know from experience. I'm no pro, but I've been working at playing higher up in my crease FOR YEARSSSSSSSS. It's the toughest thing to do. There is a certain comfort level that comes from playing a certain depth in the crease...and to change that at the start of the season is nearly impossible. It could happen, but I don't expect it to.

Toskala's struggles to start the season were obvious and playing in Washington against Ovie and company, there was doom written all over the ice in that game.

He did look very upset on the bench. He had that blank stare that just screamed out "what in sam f**k do you want from me????"

He is done.