Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Goaliepost.com ?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by 93213 View Post
    This blows.... I loved that site.

Maybe we could do what that site did here in a thread? Essentially all it we need is a group of volunteers to read papers and blogs for a team and post what they know when they can.
    or you could just have 1 person pay the 10$ and post what he sees on that site here somewhere?

im pretty sure this is a no brainer and is going to happen regardless.....

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by cj4aday View Post
    or you could just have 1 person pay the 10$ and post what he sees on that site here somewhere?

im pretty sure this is a no brainer and is going to happen regardless.....

Unless you independently do the work to find the information (i.e., go to the team websites, blogs, etc., like the guys at GoaliePost do), then I think it's unethical to pay for his site's information and then post it here. In any event, it's probably a violation of the terms of use of his website, and could subject you to liability for breach of contract. If anyone wants the information from his site, they should pay to go get it. If they don't, they should do the independent work that GoaliePost does to find the information.

We are talking about $10 per YEAR for very useful (often critical) fantasy hockey information, the cost of a couple of beers, after all...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Stud

I really don't think $10 is bad at all, but I used it so infrequently that I doubt I'll pay for it. If you use it daily, $10 is nothing. If I use it once or twice, not worth it. Tough to make something like that a pay site on a flat fee.

It'll just take some more research on my end to do what they do for my 3 goalies in particular.

Dobber Sports Master

That sucks it was a great site

There are a few other sites that will do the job (hockeyinformer is good enough for me)

If not the forums will have the info
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

The King of Diatribes

I am really surprised at the people in here not willing to pay $10 measly bucks for one of the best up-to-the-second resources for starting goalies.

I know the guy who runs that site and he has a family just like most of us. He puts a TON of time and effort into the site and it's my #1 resource for starting goalies.

If I see anyone in here taking his content and posting it, I'll delete it. I don't think that's fair whatsoever. It's like if someone in here took Dobber's Fantasy Guide and just posted it on another website. In fact, it's pretty much illegal.

So I would highly suggest anyone thinking of doing this to not even try it.

Give the people who put their time and effort into providing hardcore fantasy managers with SOLID resources some respect. Half the people in here that said they LOVE the site still whined about $10 ... and to me that's kind of a contradiction.

I personally help that guy by providing him with some articles from time to time because he is a hard worker and a good guy who is doing something that takes a lot of effort for little to no money. Just like Dobber has done for years, his hard work and unique content is valuable ... and I doubt anyone in here would take his fantasy guide and post it somewhere else...especially if they have half a brain and know anything about copyright infringement.

I was given a chance to get a free membership, but regardless I still paid the $10 because the guy deserves it. The only way sites like GoaliePost (and possibly even mine down the road if it comes to that) are able to improve is by getting support from loyal followers that appreciate the hard work and content they basically get for free.

Think about it ... $10 for a total year? That's a steal in my book. His grids are solid gold.

And yes, Yahoo StatTracker is free this year. There's your $10 right there.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Dont worry about it guys. Some other website (obviously not this one) will find out who is starting and post it up for free like goaliepost did. Then they'll capitalize on the stupidity of that website charging for something that should be free.

Maybe if we werent in a recession i'd pay for it. Now? F*ck that! I'll spend my $10 elsewhere. Like as part of gas money.
    Last edited by NYR9394; September 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Not a smart marketing gimmick IMO. These guys could learn from Dobber.

Some of you are making it sound like he's asking $10 a month. $10 a season is nothing.
    12 Team, H2H, 94M Cap, Dynasty-25NHL Team 35Farm
    Points league - 4C 4L 4R 6D 2G 5B
    G=2, A=2, +/-=1, PPP=1, SHP=3, PIM=.5, BLK=.5, HIT=.2
    W=3 L=-3 SV=.2 GA=-.6 SO=5
    -------
    12 Team, H2H 94M Cap, Dynasty-25NHL Team 35Farm
    Category League - 3C 3L 3R 3F 6D 2G 5B
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Sht, FOW, PIM, BLK, HIT
    W, SO, SV, GAA, S%

The King of Diatribes

I wonder how much $10 gets you over the course of a whole hockey season in gas. Maybe enough to start the engine once a day.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    I wonder how much $10 gets you over the course of a whole hockey season in gas. Maybe enough to start the engine once a day.
    Im just saying that, even though $10 isnt alot in any stretch of the imagination, but I can find better ways to spend it. Maybe that $10 is what separates me from keeping my lights on. Maybe I need it to finish off paying my insurance. Their are just things more important that I would like to spend my money on instead of finding out with is starting the Florida game on January 16th when I could go elsewhere and get it for free. I just never, under any circumstances, see a point to pay for something that I have gotten, or can get for free. I dunno? Maybe that just makes me a bad person?

The King of Diatribes

LOL it does not make you a bad person man, don't be ridiculous. Of course there are circumstances where paying bills takes precedence. We all have lives to lead ... that's the reason why small personal-run businesses need to be profitable too, otherwise they can't run.

For all the hardcore people that spend so much time on their fantasy teams, whether for fun or because they try and win money legitimately to live, I don't see how less than $1 a month could possibly be a big deal. People spend $50+ for The Hockey News subscription and I don't even consider it a legitimate fantasy resource except for Dobber's articles LOL.

In that regard, GoaliePost a great investment...almost as good as gas...LOL...a no-brainer.

Also, his move is by no means a marketing gimmick. He's not trying to sell you a new brand of shoes or clothes from Old Navy or a new flavor of Mountain Dew...he's providing a valuable service for fantasy managers in a professional manner. The fact he did it for free for so many years should be proof enough he's dedicated and continually trying to improve the website.

LOL ... I remember what it looked like the very first year ... almost ghetto. Now it looks sharp and it's much faster loading pages too.

I am sure I see it much differently than most of you because - duh - I'm a goalie. As a goalie guy I am all about resources like his ... there are very few of them (the only other one I really use is Goalie's World) so to me it's killer stuff =)

If spending 85 cents a month to get goaliepost is what keeps you from paying your bills then you shoudn't be playing fantasy sports and spending time on message boards.
    12 Team, H2H, 94M Cap, Dynasty-25NHL Team 35Farm
    Points league - 4C 4L 4R 6D 2G 5B
    G=2, A=2, +/-=1, PPP=1, SHP=3, PIM=.5, BLK=.5, HIT=.2
    W=3 L=-3 SV=.2 GA=-.6 SO=5
    -------
    12 Team, H2H 94M Cap, Dynasty-25NHL Team 35Farm
    Category League - 3C 3L 3R 3F 6D 2G 5B
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Sht, FOW, PIM, BLK, HIT
    W, SO, SV, GAA, S%

Dobber Sports Master

At the end of day you can spend $10 on several different fantasy hockey magazines, websites, ect. Which than total a price people are unwilling to pay for fh suppliments. Everyone needs to set a limit to support a family or pay the bills.

I don't disagree with the $10 that is being charged for a great resource but I find out most of my info while reading newspapers and blogs from around the league and if I want to share my personal findings on dobberhockey to better the forums it should not be frauned upon. But copying info from goaliepost or any other site will be moderated.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Master

Forgot to add if you have the budget to support multiple sites please do so.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Newbie

Short sighted in my opinion. He should worry about building traffic to his site and not about charging some nominal fee for information that can be had for free from reading newspapers on the web. If he builds his traffic he can then charge advertisers to post ads on his site. It's a shame really because it was a good site and it WILL die out. The real money on the net is from ad revenue. By charging a user fee he limits his market and thus any potential for ad revenue. It would be the same here for Dobber if he decided to start charging for user access. IMHO, Dobber is not only a real hockey fan, but he knows his stuff, PLUS he's a smart businessman.