Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: balls-silly

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I hate to just jump in like this but I have to agree with Lanky here. The Phoenix Coyotes are definately down and out right now, but this has happened to many other NHL franchises, and look at how most of them fought back and have made their product into a successful one.

The whole reason for the half empty rink every night is the fact that they moved a new arena on the other side of town. It needs some time to grow there. People aren't going to travel all the way across town to see a young rookie team who can't even win half their games. They want to see a winner, and I believe that as time goes on the Coyotes will build their team around young studs like Turris, Mueller, and Boedker and the fans will gravitate towards them.

Also: I don't think the city of Phoenix has much of a transit system. I think if all the sports teams were to get together and with the city of Phoenix they could construct a monorail system which would then be a huge plus to all their SPORTS franchises.

I think the Coyotes just need some time, this whole thing has blown way out of proportion. Ballsille struck out with Pittsburgh, struck out with Nashville, he is on a mission to prove the NHL execs and Bettman wrong. If he would have just purchased a team, proved it was in the worng hockey market, then maybe he would have already had a team in Southern Ontario.

Give Phoenix some time, geezus. Just because it seems to sexy to get another team close to Toronto or in Canada doesn't mean we have the right to strip another city's team from them. Ballsille needs to back off a bit and not try and show anybody up for awhile. I think he just wants to prove to everyone that he can crack the NHL and win against all odds..

Just my opinion guys. I don't need people cut and pasting my response here, its just how I feel. Like I said before I agree with Lanky.
    So, what's wrong with taking the team out of Phoenix and putting one back when things get better? This notion that the NHL doesn't give up on franchises is malarkey. They've done it many times before and not just with Canadian teams such as Winnipeg and Quebec.

They did it to Minnesota, too. The NHL let the Stars leave town. There was no NHL team there for seven years and when they got a team back, everything worked out fine. Now, if you can let a team leave Minnesota where kids are born with hockey sticks in their hands, then you can take a team out of the desert until the economy gets better. When Phoenix is ready to support an NHL franchise (to the point that's viable) then give them another shot if you want.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Dobber Sports Pro

The reason they want to stick with Phoenix also has to do with the fact that Glendale built them a beautiful brand new hockey only facility. Winnipeg and Quebec has old, small buildings that were falling apart...

The Suns have their own arena, so if the Yotes leave they have a 150 million dollar eye sore to stare at. Hence, the NHL is going to do everything possible to make this workout in Phoenix.
    14 team league - 16 Keepers max 2 goalies - G,A,P,+/-,PPP,SHP,SOG,PIM, FW, W, GAA,SV, SV%, SHO

Use the Schwartz

C: Mike Richards (lw) Henrik Sedin, Strome, Kuznetsov
    RW: Iginla, Voracek, Eriksson (lw), Gagner (c)
    LW: Parise, Nash, Schwartz
    D: Karlsson, Barrie, Hedman
    G: Luongo, Crawford

might dump one of eriksson or gagner to keep Leddy

@Rusty_Pickles Tweet Tweet.

Dobber Sports Icon

Ice Edge has pulled out of the bidding - its now just between Ballsillie (242.5) and the NHL (140).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290427
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Here is an interesting article & interview on the auction with a law professor at Penn State University who is a leading authority on sports and antitrust law

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1281495/

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: balls-silly

Almost five years later and Phoenix/Arizona is still sucking hind tit.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

If the NHL had any brains, they'd move Florida and Phoenix out of the sunbelt and put them in one of three places: southern Ontario, Saskatchewan, or Quebec City.

Regina's population is 230,000 and Saskatchewan's is 1.1 million.

http://www.leaderpost.com/life/Regin...?__federated=1

With a higher percentage of hockey fans, a provincial capital and decent enough corporate base, the NHL could boost revenue with a team here. I wonder if they'll wise up.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.

Dobber Sports Star

Woah, that's a blast from the past. Wasn't even on the forum back then!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm glad this got brought back just to see Lankys avatar. Where are you lanky?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    I'm glad this got brought back just to see Lankys avatar. Where are you lanky?
    That thing is beyond awesome!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

haha thread necro'd

#coyotestoseattle
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Ace

Yeah, not really looking to dredge things up but I was doing some research for a book I'm working on and I thought back to this discussion. I'm glad I found it and I'm glad that Winnipeg has a team again. Next, another team for southern Ontario, Quebec City gets a team back and Saskatchewan ...
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Yeah, not really looking to dredge things up but I was doing some research for a book I'm working on and I thought back to this discussion. I'm glad I found it and I'm glad that Winnipeg has a team again. Next, another team for southern Ontario, Quebec City gets a team back and Saskatchewan ...
    With the East-West imbalance, and a 20,000 seat arena being built in Las Vegas, I would guess Vegas and Seattle and/or Vegas and another California team (San Francisco, Oakland, or San Diego) before we see another team in the East.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    With the East-West imbalance, and a 20,000 seat arena being built in Las Vegas, I would guess Vegas and Seattle and/or Vegas and another California team (San Francisco, Oakland, or San Diego) before we see another team in the East.
    Agree with this.