Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have faith in Turco?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Anyone have faith in Turco?

Does anyone think this guy has a decent chance to have a 32 wins 2.50 gaa 9.10 sv% 4 so or better season or he is done as a top 10 or even 15 goalie

Thanks
    Year 18 keeper pool. 10 GM roto pool. Keep 2 Centers, 3 Wings,3 Defence,1 Goalie,1 extra. and Prospects up to 5 years after drafted if not activated.
    G, A ,PPG, PPA, Shots, Hits, Blocks, SHP,W, GAA, Sv%, SO ( goals and assist are worth 1.5 points) (shp worth .5)

Centers: S Aho, J.T Miller

Wings: M.Tkachuk, A.Svechnikov, Fiala, Giroux

Defence: Josi,Makar,Chychrun

Goalie: Georgiev

(IR)

Farm: Byfield, Byram, Mercer, Lundkvist Frost, Boldy, Comtois, Fabbro, Nemec , Barlow, Carlsson, Dvorsky,

2015 & 2016 BPKL CHAMPS!

Dobber Sports Novice

I think you'll see Turco try and make up for a lost season. And now with a new GM in town, a healthy Morrow and an upcomer stud D-man in Niskanen...Turco should rebound nicely...I hope.
    Keeper League (35 players; protect 18)
    F - Malkin, Spezza, Datsyuk, Benn, Tarasenko, Tatar, MacKinnon, Kucherov, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Stone, Panarin, Koivu, Palmieri, Hertl, Pouliot, Silfverberg, Donskoi.
    D - Shattenkirk, Giordano, Carlson, Faulk, Demers, Markov, Sekera, Boyle, Stone, Scandella, Zidlicky, Morrissey.
    G - Holtby, Allen, Jones, Elliott, Markstrom.

The King of Diatribes

Read today's School of Block for my most recent thoughts on Turco's upcoming season.

I personally have tons and tons of faith in Turco. He's gonna silence a lot of critics this year...maybe not in the playoffs, but definitely in the regular season. Alex Auld is the best thing for him, along with some more hardcore goalie work with some different coaches. He's gonna be primed and ready to go for sure.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks guys

I took a look thanks
    Year 18 keeper pool. 10 GM roto pool. Keep 2 Centers, 3 Wings,3 Defence,1 Goalie,1 extra. and Prospects up to 5 years after drafted if not activated.
    G, A ,PPG, PPA, Shots, Hits, Blocks, SHP,W, GAA, Sv%, SO ( goals and assist are worth 1.5 points) (shp worth .5)

Centers: S Aho, J.T Miller

Wings: M.Tkachuk, A.Svechnikov, Fiala, Giroux

Defence: Josi,Makar,Chychrun

Goalie: Georgiev

(IR)

Farm: Byfield, Byram, Mercer, Lundkvist Frost, Boldy, Comtois, Fabbro, Nemec , Barlow, Carlsson, Dvorsky,

2015 & 2016 BPKL CHAMPS!

Dobber Sports Star

I have every bit of faith this guy is going to bounce back this year
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013

Dobber Sports Stud

Yea i think he will bounce back, but his sv pct is not gonna be any higher than 910. 35+ wins he will reach for sure though.
    12 teams H2H Yahoo
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG... W SV%

2C 2LW 2RW 4D 1utility 2g 3bench

Crosby Berglund
    Hartnell Perron
    Wheeler Vrbata
    Karlsson, Giordano, Green, Krug
    Ryan Miller, Fleury

Nyquist, Ennis, Soderberg, Hemsky

Letang IR

Dobber Sports Prodigy

no faith in him........His performance has declined the past 3 seasons, and i cant name another D on that team other than niskanen and robidas. Too injury prone of a team too. If the team gets hurt and beat so will turco

Dobber Sports Prodigy

put him in detroit and id have faith lol

The King of Diatribes

Even more faith in the Turco Turnaround after Mike Valley was named the new Stars goalie consultant. Friends with Turco, knows how to work goalies very hard. They have a good relationship. I would say to think that Turco is going to be even worse than last year is a big mistake. Don't say I didn't warn you guys!!!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

GoalieGuild- Kind of a loaded question, so I apologize, but it's easy to follow along. In a 10 team league, would you take him as a #2 goalie? The top 10 goalies that are going to be selected im my league (but not in this order) are pretty much set in stone: Brodeur, Luongo, Lundy, Nabokov, Mason, Backstrom, Kiprusoff, Ward, Fleury, Miller. Do you think that Turco should go top 15? Top 20? Worse?

Would you take him over guys like Price, Emery, Varlamov, Hiller/Giguere, Rinne, Huet or Vokoun? I guess ranking them would be best, if you could?

Cats are: W,GAA,SV%,SHO. I play with 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5 bench spots.(I always use one of these on a 3rd goalie)

Thanks a ton!
    Last edited by NYR9394; September 3, 2009 at 1:59 PM.

The King of Diatribes

Holy cow, that's a tough set of goalies to rank!!!

Personally I would rank the available goalies (after your Top-10) like this:

HILLER
    TURCO
    HUET
    PRICE
    VOKOUN
    EMERY
    VARLAMOV

Everyone knows how high I am on Hiller to be playing 50-55 games and stave off any kind of Giguere takeover.

Turco's turnaround will be very apparent in his PLAY, but maybe not necessarily in his STATS in the first few weeks. But over the course of an entire season, I like his ability to post very good numbers. Turco to me will be one of those goalies where all his owners are panicking because his team leaves him out to dry a few games and his numbers look a little inflated. But you have to pay attention to his compete level to see how his game has been refined and adjusted.

Huet to me is a sleeper and honestly probably would have been #11 on my "Top 10 underrated starters" ... a lot of Dobberites know of Huet's elite skills and I don't see anything stopping him from putting together a very good and consistent season. Especially with Corey Crawford pushing him for starts, and the fact they play very similar styles, it will make their practices that much more effective, because they both will execute drills in a similar way and be able to improve in a more fluid manner (hard to explain that without writing a whole article so apologies for that).

Price is who he is ... a very solid goaltender that struggled under the pressures of last season. A lot of changes in MTL should allow him to focus on stopping pucks and improving his weak glove hand. I think his confidence will grow in the second half of the season and he will start to turn into the type of goalie you see in Cam Ward. I remember that it only took Cam about a month of very consistent play before he finally achieved the confidence level needed to explode...and now you see him at his best. I see Price having a very similar route to the top, but I'm not saying a Stanley Cup is in his cards...or a playoff MVP ... I'm just saying that his boosted confidence will be the key to him reaching the next level.

Vokoun could be stuck in a pretty tough situation and could potentially lose a lot of starts to Clemmensen if he once again struggles early in the season. Vokoun was on my list of Top-10 underrated goalies because very few people know how much work Vok has put into flipping the bill by working out 3-4 weeks earlier than usual. A lot will depend on the rest of his team, however, so no matter how hard Vokoun works, who is to say he still won't be facing 35-40 shots a game??? Great save percentage, but could struggle with his record.

Emery and Varlamov ... well, personally, I'm just not sold on either one. They have by far the most question marks of anyone else on your list. A lot of people will say Turco has the most question marks, but I would destroy anyone in an argument about that BWAHAHA (trash talk sorry).

WHOOOOOO I typed that extremely fast. Sorry for any typos.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Im actually surprised at the Price and Emery placements, as I thought they'd be anywhere from 1-3 on your list given the defenses in front of them.

You really think that Huet will have a better season than them? Or is it because Chicago will be very good and he's the #1, pretty much no matter what?
    Last edited by NYR9394; September 3, 2009 at 2:17 PM.

The King of Diatribes

I would say just because Emery has a solid defense in front of him doesn't make him any more of a mentally sound netminder. In fact, sometimes goalies struggle when they face less scoring chances because it messes up their flow and rhythm. I'm not sure what type of activity Emery had in Russia, but I do know that he split the season with Vitaly Kolesnik, so he wasn't playing game-in, game-out. If I were an Emery owner, I'd be pretty concerned with how long it takes for him to adjust. Could take longer than most expect. Remember that the KHL is nowhere near the talent level of the NHL, nor is it close to the speed at which plays develop. There's a lot more shooting and driving straight to the net in the NHL (IMHO). How does Emery deal with more physical presence in front of him. Is he going to be a nutcase like Hextall or will he play it "cool and relaxed" Raycroft style in an attempt to show the league he's "changed" or whatever.

Basically the more I look into Emery's season, the more muddied it becomes. Too many questions IMO...

Maybe you could swap Price with Huet ... they were the toughest two goalies for me to place on that list. But PERSONALLY I like Huet's ability to win more games than Price...less pressure in that market and he has the ability to go on a lot of hot streaks like he did in Washington.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

That is a ton of info I either didnt know or didnt think about with Emery. Thanks for the in-depth response. Major rep for you.

Dobber Sports Giant

GG strikes again! Awesome insights!

Can I dare to ask you where you would put guys like Thomas, SMason, Backstrom and Ward above the guys in the list you just gave.

I currently own Luongo in a 12 teams league pts only league, but was wondering who could be a good pickup for my 2nd goalie.

Thanks in advance!