Thread: Best long term goalie prospect

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Best long term goalie prospect

Which one of these appears to be the " best" in a long term keeper league?

( not numbered in any order)

1) Dustin Tokarski
    2) Mike Lee
    3) Johan Backlund
    4) Kevin Lalande
    5) Jeff Frazee

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by XMafiaHockeyX View Post
    Which one of these appears to be the " best" in a long term keeper league?

( not numbered in any order)

1) Dustin Tokarski
    2) Mike Lee
    3) Johan Backlund
    4) Kevin Lalande
    5) Jeff Frazee
    I think you'd need to define "best" a bit better. Do you mean "most individual talent"? "Most likely to reach the dance"? "Best stats"?

Out of the 5, I'd think Frazee is actually closest to earning a regular spot in an NHL lineup (as backup, of course) and as eventual heir apparent to Marty.

Lalande's stuck behind Mason (and Mason's a lock to stick around after the Leclaire deal).
    Tokarski is 3-4 years away with competition to beat out in TB in Smith & Helenius.
    Backlund is the 3rd stringer in PHI and unlikely to get much better, barring injuries.
    I'll be honest and say that I don't even know who Mike Lee is.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Jenner Frost Novak ---Rossi Cooley MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson Yager
    LW: Caufield Fiala Hagel Nichushkin ---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brink Kakko ---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan Lekkerimaki
    D : Theodore Seider Chabot Gostisbehere Liljegren Carlo ---Edvinsson
    G : Montembault Hart ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Zellweger Fehervary

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts
    2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

I would go with either Backlund/Lalande, as in both cases (Philly and CLB) the goalie situation could take a complete 180, with Emerys foolishness and Mason's proneness to injury, both have the capability to take the reins for a little while. For how long depends on how they develop further; yet these two i feel are closest to the NHL. Frazee just got shafted by Danis this offseason by the Devils and you knoww that theyre gonna play the hell outta marty for as many seasons as they can..I would rank Lee above both Tokarski and Frazee. As stated earlier, Tokarskis got a bit of competition with Ramo, Helenius and Koshechkin over the next few years, so who knows what will unfold there. Good luck!
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Master

I know next to nothing about these goalies. I have not even heard of any of them. What I do know about goalie prospects is that evaluating a "long" term goalie prosepcts is prolly the hardest job for a fantasy junkie to do reliably. Goalie development is rarely linear. Its next to impossible to say with certainty who will be the best goalie. I was interested, so I did a with google of each player and none of these guys really look to be number 1, NHL quality.

This site amazes me in that way. I cant believe there are folks out there that actually know things about these guys. I thought I was hard core. X-D

All the best in your decision.

ta,

AW

The King of Diatribes

I would rank them in this order

1. LALANDE - I wanted to put Lalande in front of Lee, but to be quite honest, I have very little to say about him. Lalande is kind of under the radar and is a much more solid goalie than people make him out to be. He employs a very solid butterfly that tends to be a little wider than normal, but he still does a great job of sealing off the 6 and 7 hole when the puck is in tight. He likes to flash the 5-hole then take it away, a la Patrick Roy et al. He is the conssumate butterfly goalie but at the same time, has his own unique style, which benefits his game. I like his overall path to the NHL now that he is set to be the starter in Syracuse with Dan LaCosta backing him up. I think Lalande will surprise a lot of you guys and be the first on this list to make it to the NHL.

2. TOKARSKI - Will have a much more legitimate shot than people believe. Just because Tampa Bay is loaded with solid prospects doesn't mean he won't get a shot. Tokarski has played in massive international games for Team Canada and thrived under pressure. Some of the quickest hands and legs in his age group. Made one of the most unbelievable 1-on-0 saves I've ever seen in my life. Can transfer weight extremely quick side-to-side which makes his lateral movement one of his best talents. He will need to work on durability and endurance if he is going to be successful at the NHL level. He will get his shot in 3 more years and excel and make it to the NHL.

3) LEE - Poised to be one of those goalies you don't even notice until he explodes and starts winning games. Doubt it will be with the Phoenix Coyotes, but regardless, he is set to start his career at St. Cloud State, where he'll see plenty of shots and get a lot of work. Of course, it's not as much work compared to the goalies playing in the CHL, but at least he has a few years to develop his game in the WCHA, which is by far the most competitive conference in the NCAA. Not many goalies can do what he did for an expansion USHL team and combined with the fact more and more quality players are going the USHL-NCAA-AHL-NHL route, I like the path that is set before Lee.

4) BACKLUND - Meh.

5) FRAZEE - I seriously question this goalie. I don't know why I hear his name buzzing around on here. There's a reason New Jersey brought in Danis to be Brodeur's backup instead of letting Frazee have it outright. But hey, guess we'll have to see what happens in training camp!!! I put Frazee slightly higher than Jimmy Howard and a few steps above Trevor Cann in my "haha" prospects list. LOL

No love for Backlund? This is an excellent analysis and I agree with most of it, I suppose I undervalued Tokarski a bit (you think he'll beat out Helenius for a spot?) I'm pretty sure you're spot on about Lee, I'm excited about seeing yet another climb the ranks from the USHL. Great post, thanks for the excellent insight GG. Karma or whatever the hell its called now. Thanks!
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    I would rank them in this order

1. LALANDE - I wanted to put Lalande in front of Lee, but to be quite honest, I have very little to say about him. Lalande is kind of under the radar and is a much more solid goalie than people make him out to be. He employs a very solid butterfly that tends to be a little wider than normal, but he still does a great job of sealing off the 6 and 7 hole when the puck is in tight. He likes to flash the 5-hole then take it away, a la Patrick Roy et al. He is the conssumate butterfly goalie but at the same time, has his own unique style, which benefits his game. I like his overall path to the NHL now that he is set to be the starter in Syracuse with Dan LaCosta backing him up. I think Lalande will surprise a lot of you guys and be the first on this list to make it to the NHL.

2. TOKARSKI - Will have a much more legitimate shot than people believe. Just because Tampa Bay is loaded with solid prospects doesn't mean he won't get a shot. Tokarski has played in massive international games for Team Canada and thrived under pressure. Some of the quickest hands and legs in his age group. Made one of the most unbelievable 1-on-0 saves I've ever seen in my life. Can transfer weight extremely quick side-to-side which makes his lateral movement one of his best talents. He will need to work on durability and endurance if he is going to be successful at the NHL level. He will get his shot in 3 more years and excel and make it to the NHL.

3) LEE - Poised to be one of those goalies you don't even notice until he explodes and starts winning games. Doubt it will be with the Phoenix Coyotes, but regardless, he is set to start his career at St. Cloud State, where he'll see plenty of shots and get a lot of work. Of course, it's not as much work compared to the goalies playing in the CHL, but at least he has a few years to develop his game in the WCHA, which is by far the most competitive conference in the NCAA. Not many goalies can do what he did for an expansion USHL team and combined with the fact more and more quality players are going the USHL-NCAA-AHL-NHL route, I like the path that is set before Lee.

4) BACKLUND - Meh.

5) FRAZEE - I seriously question this goalie. I don't know why I hear his name buzzing around on here. There's a reason New Jersey brought in Danis to be Brodeur's backup instead of letting Frazee have it outright. But hey, guess we'll have to see what happens in training camp!!! I put Frazee slightly higher than Jimmy Howard and a few steps above Trevor Cann in my "haha" prospects list. LOL

Good lists of prospects Mafia but I would also consider throwing in Mike Murphy in your choice of goalie prospects to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
    Good lists of prospects Mafia but I would also consider throwing in Mike Murphy in your choice of goalie prospects to choose from.
    I agree he's gonna be money with the Canes he was a steal for sure. Better than some of these guys for sure too! haha
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES