Thread: Which Detroit goalie prospect is the one to own?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Which Detroit goalie prospect is the one to own?

Pick one:

Thomas McCollum
    Daniel Larsson
    Jimmy Howard

Dobber Sports Initiate

For a Big Red Wings Fan Im looking forward to see Thomas McCollum
    I think he will be Detroits #1 goalie maybe next season or maybe 2 years to come. who knows maybe this year he will beat Howard and Larson you never know. But I like him more then thoes 2.
    League - YOUNG STARS DYNASTY LEAGUE
    12 teams

MY TEAM

Kovalchuk/Tavares/Zetterberg
    Michalek/ Thornton /Nash
    E.Cole/ Spezza/ Purcell

Suter/Jack Johnsson
    Del Zotto/ Hedmen

Miller / Hiller

Benched Players

Tanguay/Desharnis/Hemsky
    McDonald/Nyquist /Selanne

Gardiner/ Orlov

Dobber Sports Genius

Howard appears to be in the NHL. It's much easier to score points from the bench in Detroit than from Grand Rapids...

For today, Howard for sure.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by DieHardWingsFan View Post
    For a Big Red Wings Fan Im looking forward to see Thomas McCollum
    I think he will be Detroits #1 goalie maybe next season or maybe 2 years to come. who knows maybe this year he will beat Howard and Larson you never know. But I like him more then thoes 2.
    There is just no way that Thomas McCollum takes the starter spot within two years, let alone this coming season. Howard and Larsson are simply so far ahead of him in terms of skill and experience right now that it's not even funny. He had a very underwhelming WJC and he hasn't really turned heads in the training/prospect camps for the Wings yet. Right now he's the CLEAR #3 of those guys.

If I had to put money on it, I would go with Larsson taking over as starter when Ozzie retires, probably with Howie backing him up. With that said, Howie still has some chops and looked fantastic in last year's training camp, but he still has consistency issues that are a cause for concern, making me think that he doesn't have what it takes to be a starter at the NHL level. But perhaps that will sort itself out with age. Still, I'd go with Larsson. He's already proven himself in the SEL and has looked great so far in the AHL.
    GO WINGS!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    There is just no way that Thomas McCollum takes the starter spot within two years, let alone this coming season. Howard and Larsson are simply so far ahead of him in terms of skill and experience right now that it's not even funny. He had a very underwhelming WJC and he hasn't really turned heads in the training/prospect camps for the Wings yet. Right now he's the CLEAR #3 of those guys.

If I had to put money on it, I would go with Larsson taking over as starter when Ozzie retires, probably with Howie backing him up. With that said, Howie still has some chops and looked fantastic in last year's training camp, but he still has consistency issues that are a cause for concern, making me think that he doesn't have what it takes to be a starter at the NHL level. But perhaps that will sort itself out with age. Still, I'd go with Larsson. He's already proven himself in the SEL and has looked great so far in the AHL.

This is from an actually knowledgable Wings fan, which - and I'm sorry to say this to you, DieHardWingsFan - you are not. At least not based on your posting history.

Good to know about Howard. I had him pegged as a #1 for sure but then again, goalie prospects are my biggest fantasy hockey weakness.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The goalie situation has become quite ridiculous IMO. The market is soooo saturated and it's really a crapshoot. That's why I've dedicated 10 roster spots out of 50 on goalies in my keeper league. Anything can happen with them and you're only as good as your last game. Howie could catch fire early and get a big confidence boost that somehow shakes his consistency issues away. After all, he's gotta be tired of the AHL by now and he HAS looked very good in the few starts he's had with Detroit to date. The big if, and I will keep harping on this one, is consistency. Can he bring it over a whole month? I like both Howie and Larsson, to be honest, but someone has to have an edge.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Would you avoid them and take a Neuvirth or Bachman over any of them?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Bachman I don't know enough about right now, but I'm researching him as much as I can because it looks like I'll try to pick him in my league's current draft. Neuvirth I would put on par with Larsson plus they are in a similar situation, although Varlamov is stiffer competition than Howard. Right now it seems Bachman should be considered a tiny notch below those two, perhaps on par with Howard.

I wouldn't clearly take Neuvirth or Bachman over Larsson.

Like I said, crapshoot
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I go with none of the above. I look for the Red Wings to fill that position going forward in the next two seasons from the free agent market.

The King of Diatribes

ONE-YEAR: duh, Howard...take with a grain of salt.
    KEEPER: Larsson, without a doubt.

Yes, I would easily take Bachman or Neuvirth over any of the Wings goalie prospects.

In my mind the only prospect the Wings have in net worth keeping an eye on is Larsson...and maybe a few deeper in the depth charts...but not McCollumn...he's slightly more valuable than Jimmy Howard in a few years.

Sentium brought up some very good points, the biggest one being that GOALIES ARE A CRAPSHOOT.

That's why I'm here

Once Osgood retires, the Red Wings will want some experience in between the pipes. I agree that they will go out and bring in a veteran netminder to help either Howard or, by then, it will be Larsson. Whether or not Larsson is the starter and the veteran is backing him up or vice-versa, well, I'll know more once I see Larsson play some more

Dobber Sports Sage

Greedy Red Wings had to go and sign Jordan Pearce too. The frickin nerve of Ken Holland....
    @tlucarelli on twitter