Thread: BAH! Brent Johnson

The King of Diatribes

Default BAH! Brent Johnson

Even though John Curry is still a restricted free agent, I don't like the move to bring in Brent Johnson.

I understand the reasoning for bringing him in ... someone with a veteran presence, a good team guy in the lockerroom...someone to work with Fleury and be there to help him out.

But again, it's the same thing I've been saying all summer ... it doesn't allow a prospect who is fully ready to take on a role in the NHL to do so.

Look, goalies like Johnson are a DIME A DOZEN. Yes, he was very good last year when Jose Theodore started doing what Theodore does best ... but then Johnson got injured and pretty much ruined what momentum he had.

Why sign Johnson when he's only a year older? Why not just give Curry the opportunity to show what he's got?

It's a negative reinforcement on Curry. It comes off like the organization doesn't trust him to be a steady backup. And if Pittsburgh decides to stick Johnson behind Fleury, it isn't going to really push Fleury at all ... he could become complacent.

I know I hark on a lot of the same things when it comes to signing a veteran over a promising prospect, but it's a legitimate call for concern.

How are teams ever supposed to create a solid #1 goalie through their system if they never provide oppportunities?

I am hoping that San Jose allows Thomas Greiss to straight up win the job as Nabokov's backup, instead of going out and signing some 30-something goalie that has no future or has no ability to push the starter.

Sometimes it is better to create a tandem where the goalies push each other. And if things don't work out when you bring a goalie up from the AHL, there's always a million Martin Gerbers or Curtis Josephs or J-S Aubins out there.

But there ain't too many Currys or Varlamovs or Schneiders out there...get what I'm saying???

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

All I know is that most Pens fans seem to think that Curry needs more seasoning and weren't comfortable with the thought of him being backup, especially since he would be the number one if Fleury went down.
    GO WINGS!

The King of Diatribes

See, I totally get that. Even though I don't agree he needs more "seasoning", I see where people feel that is what he needs. And I'm sure that's the exact reasoning behind the Johnson signing.

But their decision to bring in Johnson is a very short-term solution to their issues. I would think teams would want to put their system in motion by bringing in a backup that not only has the potential to turn into a legit #1 (thus boosting trade value) but to also develop goalies.

Instead of giving Curry a shot to prove people wrong, they don't even give him a chance. Sure, he could have an incredible training camp and make a great case for his cause, but he would most likely be sent back down to the AHL regardless.

So no matter how good Curry plays, no matter how ready he might be, he won't get a chance because Johnson was brought in to back up Fleury. As a goalie, I just don't think that's a good way to manage such a promising prospect. From a GM's perspective, it's probably seen as 'smart' and 'covering all bases' or whatever.

If I were the GM, I would rather put some competitive pressure on Curry and use it as a way to analyze talent. Give him the opportunity to be Fleury's backup. Give him a couple of games in the first 10-15 and see how he performs. If his timing and rebound control is weak and he exposes some things where he DOES need conditioning, send him back down and let him know he's still considered a value to the organization.

But there's a pretty decent chance he could put it all together and turn into a Pekka Rinne or a Steve Mason. It's possible. He's a good enough prospect. He has that potential.

But not giving him the chance is automatically removing options in which he could succeed and blossom into an excellent backup, and more importantly, a great bargaining chip.

I hope this makes sense ... I know it's a different way of seeing things, but I am a 100% firm believer in giving a prospect every chance possible to prove their worth. I would never be able to automatically brush opportunities aside. Curry should get his chance THIS September.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

In all fairness to Shero, Johnson stated in one of his first interviews after the signing that he has not been given a guarantee that he'll be the backup. Shero wants there to be healthy competition for the backup spot. And considering Fleury's injuries in the last couple of years, it think it's pretty prudent to have Johnson around as insurance. Isn't it just a one-year deal, after all?
    GO WINGS!

The King of Diatribes

Yep just a one year deal. Plus with Curry still an RFA and not signed, that's why the move makes so much sense.

It makes me feel a lot better to hear Shero say that there's no guarantee Johnson is the backup. That's exactly what needs to be said and I'm glad you pointed that out to me!! I didn't see any quotes like that with the stuff I read yesterday.

We will have to see how this situation plays out, with Curry still needing to sign a new deal. I brought this whole thing up because I want to consider Curry a "breakout candidate" for next year, but it's tough to say at this point.

I think I'm going to add him to this list regardless, mainly because Johnson had those injury problems last year. And if I remember correctly, they were legitimate hip problems. Correct me if I'm wrong there. Maybe it was his back??

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sentium is right, Shero wanted more competition for Curry in camp. There was a quote about it a few weeks back when Shero mentioned that he'd still like to find another goalie...I'll try to scrape it up for you.

Fleury has had injuries the past 2 seasons that have put him on IR. Even if Curry started in the AHL, he could see some games in the NHL if Fleury goes down again. Last year it allowed Curry to see a few games, next time it will be a few more.

Who knows, Curry could wow in camp and win the backup role or perhaps Johnson's hip injury or some other injury flares up.

Bottom line, Shero was looking for insurance with his goalies, but also so good camp competition.
    Last edited by refarls9; July 22, 2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Dobber Sports Genius

Your thoughts all make sense, but I have a hard time imagining any NHL team not wanting to have three guys that they could use in the NHL, on hand, especially if they have anyone in the mix that has shown inclination to get scratched up. Fleury has shown this propensity. I tend to agree that in an ideal world, when you part company with one tender, you use the graduation method. "Who's next in line? Get in there." This creates room and opportunity for those underneath to steadily graduate. Upwards & upwards. Curry has advanced very rapidly in the last year. Many of us never heard of him prior to last season. Maybe we should pay more attention. However, this also must leave a small lump in the throat of the Pens, wondering if this is 'for real'. Having Johnson in town, doesn't lock the door shut for Curry, but rather re-inforces to him that there is no free ride. Produce young man! This also assures the Pens that they don't have to give up an asset to get another tender, even if the asset was a low draft pick. Another season of development won't hurt Curry.

Dobber Sports Guru

i see what you're saying justin, but i think its a good signing.

this way curry can continue to see lots of pucks in the AHL, as well as getting the opportunity to play some NHL games if either Fleury or Johnson get hurt. best of both worlds, right?

Dobber Sports Genius

Cool

That was my thought UW , this way Curry gets lots of ice time , be it the AHL or NHL and if Fleury gets an ouchy and Johnson flops then they allow Curry the opportunity to show is stuff.Having a guy sitting on the bench waiting game after game sucks and yeas I know if they play 4in a row he gets in but , if he blows it then what.Not saying your opinion is wrong Justin , just playing devils advocate.On another note which would you prefer in a keeper - Lundy , Varlamov , Toskala or Lundy , Varlamov , Theo?If you like the 2nd choice better then would you swap Toskala straight up for Theo?Thanks!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You know what, I didn't know Curry was 25 until I read it today. Although, last year was his first full year as an AHL starter, so you could see where the pens might want him to get a bit more seasoning.

I'm still fine with bringing in Johnson given Fleury's recent injury history, but I still hope we find a way to get Curry some NHL action. I wonder what the plan for Thiessen is going to look like for this year...

Dobber Sports Ace

A good discussion.

I didn't look at the Johnson signing as a bad thing, but Justin's comments made me take another look. I still don't see it as a bad thing, as long as it's being done for the right reasons. If it's insurance to protect against a Fleury injury, that's a good reason. If it's to provide competition and push all goalies involved, great.

I get what Justin is saying. Curry has 97 pro games under his belt 90 AHL and 7 ECHL and as much as I think that potential No. 1 goalies need to hold down that role in the minors while they are apprentices, there comes a time when they cannot stay at that level any longer. I'm not sure two years qualifies as too long. Ryan Miller spent three years in Rochester and he turned out alright.

But if Pittsburgh is going to maximize Curry's value, they'll have to give him a chance to prove himself and adjust to the NHL.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

The King of Diatribes

Yes, these are all AWESOME responses and I love the depth you people take with a topic I start and look at all angles.

Look at all the different reasons for bringing in Johnson. They are all SMART and effective. Fleury's injury problems sometimes get lost in my analysis because I think the more he plays, the less desperation he shows in his game, so the less likely he is to injure something due to movement or over-stretching.

Maybe the best way to keep Fleury healthy and competitive is to reduce his playing time slightly, or not let every single start be guaranteed

This is just another angle - and like some of you, I love playing devil's advocate...

But which provides more of a positive situation in your mind?

Fleury / Curry = Fleury plays 60 games instead of 70 and when Curry wins 3-4 in a row, Fleury starts to feel a little competitive pressure and then in March goes on an absolute tear and goes 8-2-1 as he ramps up for the playoffs. He's in great physical shape because he played 10 less games over the course of February and March and focused a lot of practice time on refining the small things in his positioning. Curry is gaining valuable experience and proving that he is a legit NHL goalie. Now Pittsburgh has a blue chip in Curry and Fleury is on fire because he was pushed in the 2nd half of the season.

Fleury / Johnson = Fleury plays a ton of games early and Johnson gets a few spot starts. Johnson doesn't go on any type of run like last year because he isn't getting consecutive starts, just one here or there. Fleury is counted upon to play more games down the stretch and Johnson is there as a great teammate and backup. There's no real expectations for Johnson to do much of anything, except provide support and be there in case Fleury gets hurt.

Couldn't Curry do the same thing as Johnson, except grow into the great goalie everyone knows he will turn out to be?

Obviously those situations are just one of a million that could happen, but I think you get what I'm trying to say. What does Johnson bring (besides veteran presence and an extra goalie in case of injury) that Curry wouldn't?

Also I don't buy the "Johnson has been in this situation before" argument because every goalie has to be a backup at least once in their life.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I really like the prospect of Curry pushing Fleury to be the best. I can't help but think about 2 years ago when Fleury went down with the ankle injury and Conklin went NUTS. When Fleury came back, he was so on fire because he felt like he had to win his job back. He kept that going into the playoffs and the pens went 12-2 in the 1st 3 rounds. He was playing his best hockey. Not only that, but Conklin's puck-handling abilities was a god-send for Fleury. Fleury felt that part of what he had to do to get his job back was handle the puck better, and he did. It's just what comes with competition.

I've been excited about Curry ever since I learned about what kind of potential he has. He's what Fleury needs. Fleury needs to be pushed and he needs to get rest. Fleury isn't a 70+ game goalie imo, I don't think he can be a horse like Brodeur/Luongo/Lundqvist. I think that's part of the reason why the Pens also brought in Theissen. They want organizational depth in goal to support Fleury.

I could see Fleury having career years with Curry and Theissen around in the coming years. With Johnson, it'll just be last year all over again. But that's ok, I think Curry will get some time up here at some point this year, even if it's just 5 games or so. I think another full season in the AHL makes sense in Curry's case given that he has 97 pro games played up to this point.