Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SEMIN OR ZETTERBERG?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re:SEMIN OR ZETTERBERG?

Zorro wrote:
    Semin might be a star but he also might be a player that only gets 60 points next year. He might also tell the caps to shove it if he doesn\'t get big money and not play out his contract. Zetterberg is a player that can be identified as a KEEPER. If you keep semin over zetterberg you don\'t really know that much about players abilities, fantasy hockey, or just hockey in general. I would love to be in that league so I could pick up Zett\'s as a FA.. Where do I sign up??
    Okay, point by point.

Sure, Semin may only get 60 points next year. So might Zetterberg. Who the hell really knows?

I don\'t know if he\'s a Zherdev when it comes to negotiations, but he did forego a year in the NHL to play 33 games in Russia. He\'s a restricted FA AFTER next season, while Zetterberg is signed through the next 2 seasons.

The rest is just lame-ass rambling... I personally like Semin over Zetterberg because he\'s likelier to be undervalued, comparatively, in my auction next fall. Consider that.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Zetterburg is a more reliable option right now and will be a safer bet to outscore Semin for the next couple of years. Remember that Semin only plays with AO on the PP and when Backstrom enters the mix, he will play with AO not Semin. Semin is a 1st line player playing with 2nd line players. Detroit will surrond Zetterburg with better talent for the next few years + Zetterburg will have a much larger trade value than Semin for that time period. Bottom line, keep Zetterburg and probably trade him when he gets on a tear next year for a proven goalie.
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

As much as I like Semin, I think you should go with Zetterberg. I don\'t know who else you have on your team... but, I would try to have a nice balance of experienced and young players. Cultivate your youth, while your older guys carry your team. Zetterberg has proven he can produce.. so I think a reliable player is more valuable.
    11 Teams Keeper League
    Start 12 FWDs, 6 Ds & 2 Gs

F: Getzlaf, Perry, Backstrom, Parise, Iginla, D. Roy, Hudler, Antropov, Tanguay, Weiss, A. Kostitsyn, Huselius, Steen, Gerbe, Radulov
    D: Markov, R. Whitney, Letang, Carlson, OEL, Del Zotto, Rundblad, White, Kindl
    G: Kiprusoff, Halak, Bernier

Dobber Sports Expert

i don\'t see how you can call this season \"essentially\" semin\'s rookie season. He played 52 games in 2003! Also, you have no idea if Semin is going to be affected with injuries himself as he has only played 1 and a half seasons. I don\'t view zetterberg as a \"band aid\" boy.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I\'m just saying that because he was probably just called up too early back then. A lot of players enter the NHL at 22 and this is a pretty impressive debut then.
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Apprentice

derrickroul wrote:
    Zetterburg is a more reliable option right now and will be a safer bet to outscore Semin for the next couple of years. Remember that Semin only plays with AO on the PP and when Backstrom enters the mix, he will play with AO not Semin. Semin is a 1st line player playing with 2nd line players. Detroit will surrond Zetterburg with better talent for the next few years + Zetterburg will have a much larger trade value than Semin for that time period. Bottom line, keep Zetterburg and probably trade him when he gets on a tear next year for a proven goalie.
    I\'ve heard he is much more likely to play with Semin cuz AO can create more on his own.
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

I...am your father.

Zetterberg is a Band-aid boy trainee, and if I draft him this summer in any one-year pools, it will be with the belief that he will not play 75 games...and it will be with the belief that that wrist of his (or now his back) could wipe out his season at any given moment.

I\'d still take him over Semin, but it wouldn\'t surprise me if I said the opposite of this in about 10 months.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

projectreturns wrote:
    I\'ve heard he is much more likely to play with Semin cuz AO can create more on his own.
    Do you really believe the Caps won\'t listen to AO and place Backstrom on his line? For the first time last month, AO came out and publicly said he needs help. If the caps place Backstrom on Semins line then they will be forced to sign a premier C to help AO and there aren\'t many available this summer that will fancy signing in washington. With all these questions... don\'t you think Zetterburg will be the safer pick? You don\'t have to keep him for years to come. Just wait until he gets on one of those 20 pts in 10 games streaks and sell him. He is bound to do that sometime next year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

derrickroul wrote:
    projectreturns wrote:
    Do you really believe the Caps won\'t listen to AO and place Backstrom on his line? For the first time last month, AO came out and publicly said he needs help. If the caps place Backstrom on Semins line then they will be forced to sign a premier C to help AO and there aren\'t many available this summer that will fancy signing in washington. With all these questions... don\'t you think Zetterburg will be the safer pick? You don\'t have to keep him for years to come. Just wait until he gets on one of those 20 pts in 10 games streaks and sell him. He is bound to do that sometime next year.
    I agree he is safer. But I can afford to take a risk with the other players I have. It is a bit complicated to get into but I will be keeping more depth than just AO, Crosby, Malkin, Heatley and one of these two. We protect 17... but have a cascading turnover system depending on how your team performs in the playoffs. If I win the championship I can lose up to 2 players and only protect 5... which means zetts or semin will be lost.

I didn\'t hear that AO spoke out. That is something to consider. Why wouldn\'t a player want to sign with washington though? they seem like up and commers to me. Better than STL lol (although if they get a top C they will be on their way with boyes and company as well).

The FA market for premiere C\'s (apart from Briere - who Buffalo will not let go, and Drury - whom a bidding war may start) is not strong. AO will get a C next year, which means Semin stays on the 2nd line centered by possibiliy Backstrom or possibly some journeyman C. Zetterburg will get tons of time in Detroit and be a 1st line for the next few years. Take him. There are too many questions surrounding Semin. Zetterberg was being considered for MVP before he went down to injury. Band aid boy or not, he will fetch you some solid players next year.

Post edited by: derrickroul, at: 2007/03/22 11:40