Thread: I traded Sid, now ridicule me, then help me :)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default I traded Sid, now ridicule me, then help me :)

So, I just took over a team in a H2H salary cap keeper league. 12 teams, keep all players, floating cap ($15 million above the NHL salary cap), start 2C,2RW,2LW,6F, 6D,2G,5 on bench. Stat cats: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,PIM,+/-, GWG, W,SV%,GAA,SO,Saves made

Anyways, I was over the cap, and needed to do something dramatic, and Sid was the one to get me the best return. I ended up trading Sid+Giguere for Green,E.Staal,Goligoski,6th overall prospect pick. I know you\'ll all cry how badly I lost this trade, but I gained some cap space and added the top D, a C I can count on to play all 82 games, the top D prospect, and the 6th overall pick in the prospect draft.

After you get done ridiculing me, please help me with some suggestions who YOU would take at 6th overall in the prospect draft. I\'ll list my team, and we can assume that JT,Hedman,Duchene, and MSP will be gone.

C: Staal,M.Koivu
    LW: Kariya,Booth
    RW: Doan,Little
    F: O\'Sully,Slava Kozlov,Ott,Wolski,Gionta,Smyth
    D: Green, Jovo, Burns, Corvo, Tyutin, Goligoski
    G: HERES MY GAPING WEAKNESS.....C.Mason, Conklin
    Bench: Fleishmann, Crombeen, Sekera, Quincey, J. Bernier

I know that my Goaltending sucks ass. But I took over a shitty team with no prospects and I\'m under the assumption that this upcoming season will suck for me b/c my goaltending is so awful.

WHO DO YOU DRAFT AT 6th OVERALL? Do I go either Kane or Schenn? Do I look to Schroeder as a big risk/reward? Do I take Kulikov and run with a solid D core? Do I gamble on Ellis this high(as Bugg says he has the highest offensive upside?) I don\'t have another pick till 30th(thanks to the previous owner trading them all). I gotta make this count. Thanks and Karma to the best responses
    MFHL

F: Kovy, Stamkos, DSedin,PKane, Hemsky, Vanek, Gagner, Bergeron, Little, Gagne, Frolik, Backes
    D: Gonchar, JBo, Jovo, Yandle, Martin, Pronger
    G: Lundy, Turco
    B: Lupul, Kunitz, Filatov, Hornqvist, Moss, Coburn,Kulikov, Lee, Sekera, Price, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Pro

you could make this trade better by packaging a player + 6th overall to a team that has a influx of goalies.

Try to get rinne. Look at benches and see who has someone good. This trade could work well for you if you grab a good goalie with that pick
    Follow me on X! Renegade_H

16 team Banger league
    G,A,PPP,BLK,HITS,PIM,SOG,W,GAA,S%,SAVES

FWDS
    Robertson, Stamkos, Kyrou, Huberdeau, Necas, Carlsson, Rossi, McMichael, Coleman, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Kuzmenko, Hathaway, Hoglander, Domi, Barbashev, Newhook

DMEN
    Montour, Burns, Hanifin, Sanheim, Walman, Pionk, Provorov

GOALIES
    Fluery, Montembeault, Wedgewood, Raanta

Injured
    F. Andersen, Landeskog, Hamilton

PROSPECT POOL
    Kasper, Moore, Ostlund, Yurov, Morrow, Zellweger, Nazar

Dobber Sports Stud

Ahah. You\'re hilarious. You already knew going into this post that in a salary-cap league, the high-priced stars are not as coveted :P.

I would not even take a whiff at the d-men. Your defense is young and solid. Between Schenn and Kane, I would lean towards Kane.

Dobber Sports Guru

i think kane makes a lot of sense at that #6. he will likely play on a wing and he should be a multi-cat kind of guy.

the other player that may work for you, depending on whether he\'s available in your draft or not, is the goalie gustavsson. because i generally think goalies are most important in these types of leagues, he\'d be the one i\'d take if he\'s eligible for your draft.

Dobber Sports Wizard

The fact that you got Green coming back your way makes the trade decent. One thing I would point out is that you do save salary-wise this year in replacing Crosby with Staal however Staal\'s salary begins to creep up over the next 5yrs starting next year at 7.5m, climbing to 9.25m in 13-14. In 12-13 Staal at 9m will actually make more money than Sid (7.5m). Still, you save 3 million this year as Sid makes 9m while Staal makes 6m, which is significant.

As for your draft pick, I agree with UW, grab Kane with your pick if you can.

Also Renegade makes a good point as well. You should be targetting another goalie. In fact it needs to be your priority at this point, and if you use the #6 in a package to get a Rinne/Varly, it is worth it.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It may be the Giggie part of the deal that comes back to haunt you - time will tell.

I think you need to draft the best available player at that 6th pick and it looks to be a forward of your chosing. You are good to go at D and I think you can bandaid your goalie situation through the draft but at a later pick.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Sorry, I\'m not gonna deal him Rinne, but maybe give up Huet or DiPietro.

I also have Rinne & Emery so I can spare one of them!

Dobber Sports Genius

First thing.

I\'d probably take Kane. I see him as boom/bust, or high risk/reward. He\'s very small. He\'s likely to acclimate immediately, or struggle for years.

In cap league (I\'ve got both Sid & Ovy), NEITHER OF THEM MAKES THE $$$/Points ratio necessary to WIN THE POOL. They should really be getting close to some 150 points or more annually to justify their salaries. I have $85M to work with, so in your case, the problem is EVEN LARGER. I look to achieve 20 points for every $1M of cap space.

$$$/Points ratio is the CRITICAL FACTOR in CAP pools.

Green is amazing as far as D-men go. Staal will probably hold you back. I chased Savard & Getzlaf at the $5M mark looking to get 90-100 points from each. That duo is only $1M more than Crosby.... Hmmmm.

So, under this format, I\'m not going to fight to the death to say a guy should have Crosby. I find it very difficult to move Sid or Ovy. The right deal could convince me! It\'s cap!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I\'d take Kane. He isn\'t that small - he\'s 6\'1\" and he will surely fill out within a couple years. I think he put on something like 15 lbs this year alone and he\'s around 175 or 180. He could be the perfect digger for Kovalchuk if they can resign him.