Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern Conference: (2) Washington vs. (7) Rangers

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Eastern Conference: (2) Washington vs. (7) Rangers

I\'ll start a topic for each series.

Just a way to discuss each game, highlights, hits, fights, goals, and so on. And for the next few days some pre-series smack!
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hmm, this one is tougher for me to predict because I\'m such a Lundqvist fan. Will Avery be able to distract Ovechkin from playing his game? Remember Avery goading Kovalchuk into fighting him last year?

Ultimately, the Cap have to win this, but Theodore will have to be steady. If he isn\'t then there is a window of opportunity for the Rangers to, ahem, capitalize.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think this series has the most potential for the underdog to win. Not much attention has been paid to the NYR recently. They snuck into the playoffs and play a relatively defensive game with a great goaltender. Theodore will have to play solidly to win this series. I am going to predict an upset and take New York in 7

Dobber Sports Stud

i think this will be the Caps in a walk, i\'m taking them in 5 maybe 6 if Theodore gets lost for a bit.

Dobber Sports Sage

Caps in 7.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Administrator

I just want to see what Avery tries to do to Ovechkin, followed by Ovechkin creaming with one of the biggest hits of the year and then scoring a hattrick. I\'m also interested to see who\'s nut Green busts this year, though I have a strange feeling it will be mine from watching his stellar play.

All jokes aside, this series is probably going to be a lot closer than most think. Rangers are playing some good hockey under Torts, and Theodore is a sieve. I also think Lundqvist has series stealing stuff.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

I see the Rangers as being lucky to win one game. Caps in 5.

Dobber Sports Stud

ya Wash is a solid team with tons of offensive weapons. They will take the series but in 6.
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Expert

doulos wrote:
    As an owner of AO and Backstrom heading into a playoff pool I certainly hope you\'re right, but if I had to call it right now I see the RANGERS upsetting WAS in 6.

WAS gives up too many shots each game [so do the RANGERS]. I feel G decides this series and I like Lundqvist WAY better.

My heart says WAS in 6 [I hate the RANGERS],
    My head says NYR in 6 [Theodore has more holes than Swiss cheese].
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Initiate

Rangers are a train wreck in waiting. Caps in 4
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Caps in 5

Dobber Sports Veteran

The Rangers have the better goaltender.
    The Capitals have Ovechkin.

Green\'s a phenomenal player, ...but giving Torts a chance to gameplan for him for a seven game series will help slow him down.

The Caps still have Semin, but the Rangers are no slouches upfront either, ...Naslund, Gomez, Drury, Zherdev etc...

Mark Staal came into the league tabbed as a future \"shutdown\" defenseman... This is a great opportunity to step into that role...

If he can just contain Ovy, if Torts can find a strategy for containing Green, ...and that\'s all they need to do, ...is keep them semi under control,

...with Lundquist behind them, and a few big goals from Drury and the other vets, ...Rangers in 6
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Sage

I gotta take the NY side here. Washington has the potential to be a much better team the NY does...but Washington is so front loaded that they take a hit playing anyone other than their franchise players. Their goaltending sucks... Theodore is no better than Biron IMO and their defense doesn\'t have a single shutdown guy that could compare to any other team. They have the offense that could carry them through any team... but I think they\'re going to be forced to play such a defensive game that doesn\'t suit their style, it\'s going hurt them a lot and be the reason they\'re ousted in the first round. It\'s gonna take 7 games but NY is gonna pull this one out.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Recruit

interesting to see the difference in the answers... this one seems to be difficult to get a consensus on.

I think the caps will win out in 5-6 games.

Flyer Fan wrote:
    The Rangers have the better goaltender.
    The Capitals have Ovechkin.

Green\'s a phenomenal player, ...but giving Torts a chance to gameplan for him for a seven game series will help slow him down.

The Caps still have Semin, but the Rangers are no slouches upfront either, ...Naslund, Gomez, Drury, Zherdev etc...

Mark Staal came into the league tabbed as a future \"shutdown\" defenseman... This is a great opportunity to step into that role...

If he can just contain Ovy, if Torts can find a strategy for containing Green, ...and that\'s all they need to do, ...is keep them semi under control,

...with Lundquist behind them, and a few big goals from Drury and the other vets, ...Rangers in 6
    I have to disagree with most of this... Coaches have had all year to develop gameplans for Green, and it hasn\'t worked yet. Torts won\'t be able to develop any gameplan for green that will work the length of their series. Green is just too dynamic of a player. Plus... if you key in on him, then you leave ovechkin more room. Or semin... or leave backstrom more room to make a nice pass. There\'s really no clear cut (focus on this guy) strategy that Tort can draw up.

That\'s what\'s made the caps so difficult to play against this year, because if you key in on 1 or 2 or even 4 of their guys, they\'ll just beat you some other way.

Comparing Ovechkin/Semin/Backstrom/Laich to Naslund/Drury/Gomez/Zherdev is just comical to me. I can\'t believe you went there.

I\'m also not sure how you can claim Drury as mr. clutch. He has 2 gamewinning goals this year...

Consider the following: Washington\'s top 5 goal scorers have as many goals this year as NYR top 12 (166 goals). Brooks laich is washingtons 4th best goal scorer, and he\'s only got 1 less goal than NYR BEST.

Alexander ovechkin - 56
    Alexander Semin - 34
    Mike Green - 31
    Brooks Laich - 23
    Nicklas Backstrom - 22

Markus Naslund - 24
    Nikolai Zherdev - 23
    Chris Drury - 22
    Ryan Callahan - 22
    Scott Gomez - 16
    Brandon Dubinsky - 13
    Nigel Dawes - 10
    Michal Rozsival - 8
    Aaron Voros - 8
    Nik Antropov - 7
    Fredrik Sjostrom - 7
    Lauri Korpikoski - 6

Add to that the fact that Washington dominates in the faceoff circle (7th in the league/2nd in the east/1st among eastern playoff teams) and dominates games at home (tied for 1st in home ice wins in the the east, and tied for 2nd in home ice wins in the league).

I think the Rangers are sledding uphill in this first series... outside of something amazing happening, i really don\'t think they\'ll win more than a game. Even if something amazing happens, i doubt they\'ll win more than 2... much less the series.

As shaky as you all think Theodore may be, Varlamov has been tremendous this year, and has experience as the starting goaltender in the playoffs in the Super League in Russia. I\'m not as concerned about the caps goaltending as many seem to be.

Also, coming off a bad loss to Florida in their final game, the caps will be balls to the wall at the start of this series.

Dobber Sports Sage

doulos wrote:
    Lundqvist will steal atleast one game.

I thought this was going to be a bad matchup for the Rangers but after looking at it more in-depth, they have a legit shot.

My prediction is Washington in 6.

I think the series comes down to Washington\'s dangerous PP vs. New York\'s top ranked PK. The Rangers penalty kill sure looked sharp against the Flyers yesterday.