Thread: Agonizing over Goalies

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Agonizing over Goalies

First year Fantasy Owner and already I am having a hard time thinking of anything other than Hockey and which players I should be dropping / going after.

I\'m not going to set any records this year but hoping to be competitive at least.

At any rate I am wondering if I should look at doing the following (or am I a crazy noob)?

Current Goalies:
    Lundqvist
    Holmqvist
    Osgood

Should I dump Osgood and pick up both Bernier and LaBarbera or are the Kings not going to do much this year?

(1 Year, H2H League)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re:Agonizing over Goalies

Okay Brotsy

First thing you need to do is give more info - league format, roster size and starting positions, scoring categories. Who\'s available in FA. They all have a lot to do with decisions you make. Do not drop Osgood for the moment - he will give you quality starts for sure. Not knowing more - I would be tempted to say Homqvist may be your weak link.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks, Shoeless.

Here is the League info:

Roster Positions: C, C, LW, RW, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, IR
    Stat Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPP, W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

1 Year, Head-to-Head League

My current Roster:

Olli Jokinen
    (Fla - C)

Henrik Sedin
    (Van - C)

Petr Sykora
    (Pit - C)

Ladislav Nagy
    (LA - LW)

Erik Cole
    (Car - LW)

Daniel Alfredsson
    (Ott - RW)

Justin Williams
    (Car - RW)

Alexander Radulov
    (Nsh - RW)

Bryan McCabe
    (Tor - D)

Mattias Ohlund
    (Van - D)

Cory Murphy
    (Fla - D)

Nathan Paetsch
    (Buf - D)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

C: Jokinen, H. Sedin, Sykora
    LW: Nagy, Cole
    RW: Alfredsson, Williams, Radulov
    D: McCabe, Ohlund, Murphy, Paetsch
    G: Lundqvist, Holmqvist, Osgood

Roster Positions: C, C, LW, RW, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, IR

Stat Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPP, W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

Okay Brotsy

I do have a few more questions here:

1. Are you obliged to start or carry 4 D guys?
    2. What is on the FA list for goaltenders? Decent fulltime starters to be precise.
    3. Who is on the FA list who is on Injured Reserve? Thinking guys like Sullivan.
    4. Is Yahoo your pool provider? (I hope so cause that is the one I know best)
    5. Is it daily or weekly roster changes?
    6. If you are married, have you told your wife you are going to be away for the whole NHL season?
    7. How many teams in your league?
    8. Do you know the other GM\'s personally?

Post edited by: Shoeless, at: 2007/09/22 18:17

Dobber Sports Novice

Wow, Shoeless - you should write a book!

You made me laugh out loud with the Wife question also.

Here are the answers:

1. Are you obliged to start or carry 4 D guys?

I don\'t believe so -- for my draft I actually only picked up 2 Defenseman because I was wondering this very thing (why pick up 4 if I can get more points from another Winger, etc.).

2. What is on the FA list for goaltenders? Decent fulltime starters to be precise.

I don\'t really see any \'decent\' full time starters left -- there are 14 teams so most got snatched up.

If I sort by Wins (last year) then I\'m seeing:

Raycroft
    Thomas
    Aebischer
    Gerber
    Garon
    Denis
    etc.

The only other backup that caught my eye was Harding depending on how many games Backstrom plays.

3. Who is on the FA list who is on Injured Reserve? Thinking guys like Sullivan.

Interesting question -- I\'m not seeing much here -- should I be looking at all the \'NA\' guys (i.e. Mark Bell) or will they be tagged as \'IR\'?

(Sullivan was drafted)

4. Is Yahoo your pool provider? (I hope so cause that is the one I know best)

Yahoo

5. Is it daily or weekly roster changes?

I believe it is Daily

6. If you are married, have you told your wife you are going to be away for the whole NHL season?

LOL - Question of the Year Award!

7. How many teams in your league?

8. Do you know the other GM\'s personally?

About 1/2 of them

BTW - I originally drafted these players for my last three picks:

Erat
    Prospal
    LaBarbera

But have dropped them already in favor of:

Murphy
    Paetsch
    Osgood
    Thanks again.

Post edited by: Brotsy, at: 2007/09/22 18:53

Post edited by: Brotsy, at: 2007/09/22 18:57

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My bad - IR doesn\'t kick in until the season starts and the teams submit their rosters to the league - no NA doesn\'t apply. Anyway - that IR slot on your team is full all the time to the extent you can make that happen (with the best player or earliest decent returnee possible) - this requires you to drop someone to open up a roster spot, pick the IR guy up and then stash him on IR and then go back to the FA pool for a pick-up - bit of an art form - sometimes you don\'t have a drop you care to make so you might sit but when you are going to make a roster move - the first thing you do is make damn sure you take care of having the
    IR full - you never know when a real winner can be stashed.

It is common practice to run a D guy short in H2H to allow you to maximize forward scoring - I see you are already thinking about it - you are doomed to be a FH junky - no question in my mind. I would do that depending on who is on FA - there is some real talent tucked down deep in the pool - but you need it to be a winger not a centre.

Now to your goalie problem. Holmqvist may or may not get the bulk of the starts in TB. I think a short term solution to your problem would be to handcuff Denis to him so you have two starters for sure for your 3 positions. Even more desirable is to get the buddy who has Hasek drunk and swing a trade with him so you have Hasek and Osgood. At that point I start to really like your goalie. Do what it takes in my mind because your goalie cats are huge in your league compared to skater stats. Don\'t be afraid to overpay for that 2nd starting goalie because you can\'t afford not to. So 1st priority get Hasek and keep Osgood - 2nd and cheapest is scoop Denis and dump Osgood. and when you have a goalie tandem and daily starts make sure to check this site religiously before gametime to see who will get the start - http://www.leftwinglock.com/goalies.php - so you have the right guy starting.

Eh - kinda long winded and losing track of where I am here - maybe will revisit you in a few - she is a beeooootiful morning here in Korea and time for a wee walk (to get cigarettes) B)

Post edited by: Shoeless, at: 2007/09/22 19:29

Post edited by: Shoeless, at: 2007/09/22 19:32

Post edited by: Shoeless, at: 2007/09/22 19:55

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Actually I would scoop Denis immediately and dump the D guy you don\'t want. Now you do have 2 starters guaranteed - by all reports Denis is playing well so they may have a rotation thing going on. Keep Osgood for now - he will get 25 or 30 starts I think - so the guy with Hasek might be interested in a deal. If you can later parlay a goalie tandem into a solid starter all the better.

Another thing you need to be on the watch for is guys who get dual position eligibility - really adds flexibility to your roster - I think Sykora will be one of those sooner or later.

That\'s all for now.

Dobber Sports Novice

Shoeless - you are a good man for taking the time to analyze this. I just snagged Denis and furthermore will be chanting, \"Shoeless! Shoeless!\" when the lads start to take tandem Wins.

It was a tough decision (they all seem to be) in terms of which D to drop but I ended up dumping Ohlund. The Dobber guide speaks highly of Murphy - Kaberle is a known commodity and everbody seems to like the minutes that Paetsch is going to get so we\'ll see...

Thank you again and best of luck to you in your endeavors -- Karma is a funny thing and you appear to be rich with it.