Thread: Goalie situation in Detroit next year

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Goalie situation in Detroit next year

Is Hasek done? and if so, do you see Detroit acquiring a goalie for next year, 07-08? and while I\'m on the Detroit subject, do you think Datsyuk could test out the free agent market or does he sign with Detroit?

Thanks
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:Goalie situation in Detroit next year

How long before Jimmy Howard takes over. He will be back up probably for 2 years---whats his upside ??

I...am your father.

Good post. Does anybody have any thoughts? If Hasek gets them to at least the second round, it wouldn\'t surprise me if he wanted one more year. Then the question is - would they re-sign Osgood or would they trust Howard? Howard has had a weak year in the AHL, so I\'m thinking Ozzie again...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think I remember an interview asking Hasek\'s plans for next year. He gave the whole \"I\'m concentrating on playing now\" speech, but didn\'t rule out returning since he feels well and is playing above his own expectations. I expect if the Wings get past the 1st round but do not win the Cup, Hasek has a very good chance of coming back next year. If they loose 1st round, there is a small chance he\'ll be back (Detroit might look elsewhere). If they win the Cup, I\'d bet Hasek is gone. If Hasek leaves, I\'d expect the Wings to go after another starting goalie for under $4 million (or even a cheaper alternative like Backstrom, Biron, or someone else not named Giguere... maybe even trade for Gerber or Denis on draft day).

I think Howard is 3 years from being starter. If Hasek resigns, then I think Detroit needs a veteran backup like Belfour or Osgood to split starts and Howard will go back to the AHL or make more spot starts in the NHL (maybe 10 games). For the following season (\'08-\'09) he should be full time backup. He hasn\'t played at all in the NHL this season, so don\'t expect him to be full time backup next year. Detroit is slow-playing Howard since he\'s only 22 and they need to win now with veterans.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

hmm... double post for some strange reason

Post edited by: CronoX, at: 2007/03/14 16:53

Dobber Sports Master

That double post thing has happened to me a few times as well. Its weird.

Dobber Sports Master

That double post thing has happened to me a few times as well. Its weird.

Dobber Sports Master

Case in point... This double post was unintentional and I am not the double click kind of guy...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think Detroit will aquire a goalie in the offseason, whether its by a trade or free agent signing. Jimmy Howard is not ready and I am still skeptical in him becoming a starter. They may possibly aquire one of Holmqvist/Denis (whoever emerges in the playoffs will be TBay\'s permanate starter. If Denis is the go to guy in the playoffs, they will let Holmqvist walk, Detroit may take a stab at him if that happens, or aquire Denis on draft day if Holmqvist emerges. Fernandez is another possible aquisition on draft day, they could probably get him from Minnesota for a reasonable price, because Minnesota will likely want to dump Manny\'s contract so they can use the money they save on resigning players and perhaps a UFA or two. I think Giguere will be too expensive for Detroit, but an alternative could be Mathieu Garon. Garon has had a solid but unspectacular injury filled season in LA. I still think Garon is gonna be a solid #1, and Detroit will be able to get him at a very reasonable price. Biron would be a solid adition, but I think he will ultimately get resigned by Philly. It makes no sense for Philly to aquire a rental at the trade deadline, unless they were looking to resign the goalie. They could also aquire Martin Gerber very cheaply, due to his contract. Don\'t count out Jocelyn Thibault, he has performed pretty good this season on the Penguins, and looks like he is returning to old form. I think Detroit will go with the cheaper route. So a Garon or Thibault makes the most sense to me.