Thread: Just made an xmas eve trade...

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Just made an xmas eve trade...

One-year league with my team and league categories in signature.

I sent:
    Henrik Sedin, F
    Brian Rolston, F
    Kimmo Timonen, D

I received:
    Rick Nash, F
    J.P. Dumont, F

How would you rate the trade and which end-result would you prefer?
    8 Team Roto League (1-year)
    Cats: G A +/- PIMs PPP SHP SOG SH% HIT BLK GAA SV% SVS W SO
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal
    D: Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Kulikov, I. White, Goligoski, Niskanen
    G: M. Smith, Emery
    BN: C. Stewart, J. Staal, Read, Brouwer, Ward, Hedberg, Pavelec, Bachman
    IR: Letang, Giordano

Dobber Sports Apprentice

well done man!!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

What are your starting rosters in this league Shook? With a 3 for 2 are you able to pick someone up and who would that be?

Dobber Sports Stud

rolston and timonen are very overrated IMO. so nice move.
    12 teams H2H Yahoo
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG... W SV%

2C 2LW 2RW 4D 1utility 2g 3bench

Crosby Berglund
    Hartnell Perron
    Wheeler Vrbata
    Karlsson, Giordano, Green, Krug
    Ryan Miller, Fleury

Nyquist, Ennis, Soderberg, Hemsky

Letang IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

shoeless i dont really think that it matters who is available as long as someone half decent is available. The way that I look at it:

sedin=40ish points from here on out
    Rolston=20ish
    timmonen=15ish
    ==75

dumont=40ish
    nash=35ish
    =75 + random guy (at least 10)
    ==85

so plus 10 at the minimum i believe!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Huh? Timonen is on pace for 33 more points.

Sedin will easily elipse 40 especially with Sundin joining the squad - watch out PP. Give him 45 more.

Rolston is not likely to only get 15 points in 50 games. He is a consistent 60 point guy so give him a discount and he still gets 25 more, especially since he is a primary option for the point on the power play, now that he is healthy.

Nash lost Brassard and he will continue to struggle on that team unless they find a center of quality. Dumont has 1 point in the last 5 games and that doesn\'t bode well.

Not sure you do win this - I know I probably wouldn\'t have done it.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for all the great responses guys...1st off, and I able to pick someone up, and the players who I am looking to pick up are:

A. Edler, D
    M. Carle, D
    C. Colaiacovo, D
    M. Commodore, D
    M. Frolik, F
    J. Neal, F
    P. Bergeron, F
    S. Sullivan, F

I am currently in 1st place, 37 points ahead of 2nd place.
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal

Administrator

given who you can pick up, I\'m not sure that is a good trade. none of the dmen can come close to filling timonen\'s spot, and none of the forwards are worth being an extra forward over a reliable dman.

while i agree unloading rolston, was huge, you are also giving up the best player in the deal, H. Sedin. He\'s the only guy on there with a shot at hitting 80, and could surpass that mark.

I am a huge rick nash fan, but i think in fantasy circles he is overrated. a highlight goal scores the same as a garbage goal, is this guy really any more valuable than tomas holmstrom in fantasy leagues? certainly youd think that in leagues that have more stringent positioning, nash is more valuable because LW is a tough position to find guys who contribute across the board. but with minimal positional requirements, nash becomes less valuable than most second line centers.

dumont, i really like and you could argue that his 2008 year was one of the best years of hockey played by anyone, unfortunately he has really slowed down and there seems to be much less spunk to that nashville offense.

timonen is a top 10 dman, he is just plain consistent. is he overrated because of his recent surge of points? sure. but he will continue to be in the top 10 in defencemen scoring this year, and he will crack 40 for sure. he wont hit 55 or whatever his pace is now, but 45 is about as safe a bet as youll find. it amazes me that i always give up on him, and yet at the end of the year hes always on that leader board.

id pass on this deal myself. but its good to see youve got a huge lead and are still looking to make improvements.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

So many great responses...thanks for your comments, especially rainmaker, Shoeless, and metaldude26. +1 to all of you in due time...

I could see how this could be a dubious move in a points only league, however, in a multi-category roto league this move made a lot of sense for me.

Henrik, Timmonen and Rolston have be notoriously consistent. I have teh feeling that Rolston\'s high-ankle sprain will dog him for much the season like Semin last year. Henrik is phenomenal with both assists and PPP, however, I have acommanding lead in both those categories. With Malkin, Hossa, Hemsky, Roy, and Tanguay I have a lot of assist guys in my forward ranks. Acquiring J.P Dumont is like a Henrik-lite, but with a better shot and not as many PPP. Nash will help me in three primary ways...goals, PIMs, and SH%. I\'m first in goals, third in PIMs, and first in SH%...so this was a proactive move to maintain my leads while sacrificing assists (which I could afford to)...

Lastly, in regards to Timmonen...yes, he is highly-consistent and I was able to nab him later in the draft that he should have gone (probably because of his off-year last season). At his age he has already established his upside (55), but I think 45-50 is more realistic if he stays healthy. Timmonen\'s points are largely generated by assists...whihc again, I have a lead in right now (I have 349 assists, the next closest has 289...a 60 assist buffer). Also, one interesting note is that both Matt Carle and Randy Jones have been giving ample PP opportunities...with Jones logging a lot of PP time last game for the Flyers (more than Timmonen). Something to watch...

I really appreciate all of the feedback given, and if you can think of something I may be missing please feel free to let me know.