Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I Hate Pronger!!!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default I Hate Pronger!!!!

Very good points Lanky... its a hard discussion b/c i do agree that Prongers dirty moves aren\'t great for the game. I hate dirty hits especially the obvious elbows to the head (see: Rutuu a couple games ago, Pronger in the playoffs). But his style of hard nosed very physical play i think is. Its great for the team and the NHL when theres a player that ppl are afraid to be on the ice when they are. Not in the Ryan Hollweg way where your afraid to be drilled from behind (which i do not recall Pronger ever getting games for hitting from behind, may be wrong thou), but that they make forwards pay attention to where Pronger is instead of concentrating on the puck. A good example is Scoot Stevens. Everyone was more concerned with where he was on the ice before anything else. Were all his hits clean? Not really. Did he ever injure people... Lindros, Karyia come to mind. Is he looked down upon after he retired, i dont think so and he shouldn\'t be looked down upon. Big tough physical players IMO are a huge part of hockey and playing that style over a long career will almost always place you in a situation where you\'ll carry out a dirty hit. Once again im not trying to condone dirty hits but i see them as a by-product of playing a tough game. Not sure if me and you will ever agree on this but i mean no disrespect. I totally see what you mean I just value physical play very high and understand that when playing that way eventually you\'ll do something a lil stupid
    11 GM Keeper League, 10F, 4D, 2G
    G,A, SHG, +/-, W, SO, S%
    F: J. Iginla, E. Staal, M. Richards, J. Spezza, B. Ryan, T. Hall, N. Zherdev, J. Hudler, S. Gagner, C. Kunitz
    D: D. Keith, A. Goligoski, P. Martin, R. Sutter
    G: MA. Fluery, S. Mason

Dobber Sports Icon

j_mauti wrote:
    Very good points Lanky... its a hard discussion b/c i do agree that Prongers dirty moves aren\'t great for the game. I hate dirty hits especially the obvious elbows to the head (see: Rutuu a couple games ago, Pronger in the playoffs). But his style of hard nosed very physical play i think is. Its great for the team and the NHL when theres a player that ppl are afraid to be on the ice when they are. Not in the Ryan Hollweg way where your afraid to be drilled from behind (which i do not recall Pronger ever getting games for hitting from behind, may be wrong thou), but that they make forwards pay attention to where Pronger is instead of concentrating on the puck. A good example is Scoot Stevens. Everyone was more concerned with where he was on the ice before anything else. Were all his hits clean? Not really. Did he ever injure people... Lindros, Karyia come to mind. Is he looked down upon after he retired, i dont think so and he shouldn\'t be looked down upon. Big tough physical players IMO are a huge part of hockey and playing that style over a long career will almost always place you in a situation where you\'ll carry out a dirty hit. Once again im not trying to condone dirty hits but i see them as a by-product of playing a tough game. Not sure if me and you will ever agree on this but i mean no disrespect. I totally see what you mean I just value physical play very high and understand that when playing that way eventually you\'ll do something a lil stupid
    I see where you\'re coming from... and I do awknowledge in one of my earlier posts on this topic, that guys like stevens, etc. do sometimes get bad reps as dirty players just because they do end up hurting some people with their physical play.

As I said in that post, i don\'t really consider pronger to be in this ilk. Stevens seemed like a good guy, but he was just a really hard nosed player that would clock you in the neutral zone if you had your head down.

Pronger to me just seems to be a dickhead without any regard for whether guys get hurt or not. I\'m not sure this is the case or not, but that\'s just how it seems. I\'ve seen a few people injured because of pronger, and he\'s never the one to go over there and make sure the guy is ok... he\'s the type to just skate away with a \"whatever\" attitude. I just think that\'s dispicable.

It\'s one thing to play tough. I appreciate that aspect and think it\'s vital to the sport. But to play without respect or remorse (as pronger sometimes seems to), isn\'t right.

I really do see where you\'re coming from and I do agree with you regarding accidents happening during physical play... I just don\'t consider pronger to be this type of guy that you describe.

But again... I guess I have to agree to disagree... there\'s not many people out there that share my absolute blinding despise of pronger as a player and human being. B)

P.S. Everyone has injured lindros... even lindros injured lindros. You can\'t fault scotty too much for hurting lindros lol. :silly:
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

lanky522 wrote:
    Pronger to me just seems to be a dickhead without any regard for whether guys get hurt or not. I\'m not sure this is the case or not, but that\'s just how it seems. I\'ve seen a few people injured because of pronger, and he\'s never the one to go over there and make sure the guy is ok... he\'s the type to just skate away with a \"whatever\" attitude. I just think that\'s dispicable.
    I couldnt agree more lanky. Pronger\'s mentality and attitude are somewhere between caveman and common bully. I mean, I love the rough stuff in hockey, but he takes it too far sometimes.

He\'s a real ******* who knows that he can get away with it because he\'s just taller than everyone. If he was Sean Avery\'s height, best believe that people would be taking runs at him like they do Avery.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Any news on Green? Not like we\'ll get any this day in the NHL. I hate Pronger he is a dirtbag. This only solidifies my hatred. My team only has one IR slot and three guys are on it, this is the last thing I needed. Friggen Pronger. I am going to go to hockey practice right now and I\'m sure someone will kill me and make the last week complete

Dobber Sports Pro

When you hear Green\'s comments about Pronger you wonder if a lot of guys get spooked or are awestruck coming in on him. Green practically admitted being thrilled because he was decked by a player he loves.

Pronger is a great d-man and it is actually his forearm and elbows I would fear more than anything. I forget who he destroyed in the playoffs when he was on EDM, with a quick jab and I do not even think the refs noticed.

You have to remember whenever he is at his dirtiest he is usually being considered for the Norris or the Conn Smyth... coincidence?

Dobber Sports Initiate

i think geen was thrilled to play w scottie...not pronger. he even asked for his stick.

as for pronger; he reminds me of claude lemieux. in the playoffs, everybody hated him, and everybody wanted him.

after the cheap shot on holmstrom, have to say i hate pronger alsmost as much as i hated lemieux

and being a leaf fan...sure hope he follows burke.

spitball
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber Sports Ace

Here is a link to the hit for those who missed it:

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...p;event=ANA403
    8 Team Roto League (1-year)
    Cats: G A +/- PIMs PPP SHP SOG SH% HIT BLK GAA SV% SVS W SO
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal
    D: Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Kulikov, I. White, Goligoski, Niskanen
    G: M. Smith, Emery
    BN: C. Stewart, J. Staal, Read, Brouwer, Ward, Hedberg, Pavelec, Bachman
    IR: Letang, Giordano

Dobber Sports Icon

shook81 wrote:
    Here is a link to the hit for those who missed it:

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...p;event=ANA403
    Looking at it over and over, it doesn\'t actually look like it\'s squeaky clean... Pronger definitely leads with his elbow/forearm to green\'s face/head.

Obviously the situation was compounded by the fact that green was low to the ice and turning (so his head was lower than it would normally be), while pronger was more upright... but it definitely looked like Pronger came in a tad high...

again... not as dirty as some of his hits in the past, but it\'s walking the fine line between clean/dirty in my opinion.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW