Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Keep which 6?

The Great One

Default Re: Keep which 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
    I just read the main page article and rushed to find the irl poster who made it...

DO NOT DROP LAFRENIERE!!!

Lol- a paltry six of his fifty seven this year were on the ppp- if and when he ascends to the top unit next year you can add on between 20 or so ppp- which makes any progression at all- an idea most pundits in the know are espousing right now- its off a projection thats realistically closer to 76 (51 +25) next year- and its easy to see why people are calling for the next lafreniere. As long as he can keep that spot and this post season has cemented that imho- youre looking at a realistic range of 75 to 95. This is the next player to follow the Jack Hughes trajectory and you'd be nuts to get off the train now..
    So the Rangers, who had the third best PP in the league, are going to eblow one of Zibs, Panarin, Trocheck, or Kreider, all of whom are signed for large money and multiple more seasons, off the top unit to make room for Laffy? Have him ask Nicolaj Ehlers how things like that work out.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Superstar

this will be the last draft you can get Lafreniere at a discount. Once he gets PP1 time, and that's still perhaps years away, his point totals will erupt. As many have said, Dobson/Boldy are my picks for the final two.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    this will be the last draft you can get Lafreniere at a discount. Once he gets PP1 time, and that's still perhaps years away, his point totals will erupt. As many have said, Dobson/Boldy are my picks for the final two.
    If there's no PP1 time in his immediate future (everyone on NYR PP1 is under contract for the next two years), why would his price shoot up next season? Next year looks to be a repeat of this year, with perhaps a 5-10 point swing upward if he is unusually lucky. And if they re-sign Panarin in 2026, then you need to wait for Kreider's contract to end in 2027.

I think everyone sort of feels that (1) Lafreniere, if given PP1 time, is going to be a point per game player and (2) there's no real reason to give him that time at the moment. I would want to keep drafting him, but in a keep 6, not at the expense of people who are ostensibly more valuable to me right now. For the near future, I'm not convinced that Boldy is going to be that dissimilar than Lafreniere on PP1.

Dobber Sports Ace

Lafreniere and Boldy!

Dobber Sports Stud

I’m definitely keeping Dobson. After that is Boldy, or Laffy (if you are ok with higher risk / higher reward)
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Not keeping Dobson is massive flaw in understanding fantasy hockey.
    This is a 9F/6D league with 12 teams.

So the counting players are as follows:
    F: 9x12 = 108
    D: 6x12 = 72

All leagues (including the NHL) are won by rostering more talent ("stats" - in fantasy hockey) than your opponent.
    Each team is allowed to "keep 6"... the rest are re-drafted or grabbed from waiver wire.

So you are basically going after keepers by "relative difference" as that is the measure of statistical value of a player.

Using points as "approximate eval" towards this multi-cat league:
    F108 (Martin Necas) scored 53 points this past year. Note that Boldy scoring 69 points makes him a +16. Lafreniere scoring 57 points makes him a +4.
    D72 (Esa Lindell) scored 26 points this past year. Dobson scoring 70 points makes him a +44.
    +44 versus + 16 versus +4... I mean.... this.is.not.close.

This is just math - and can't really be argued.
    The only world in which Lafreniere over Dobson makes ANY sense is one where somebody is willing to bet their bank account that Lafreniere can overpoint that F108 by a bigger margin than Dobson overpointing D72.

Another measure is to go direct to multi-cat rank - if your league has that.
    In the league I do with HIT/BLK...

Dobson was the #6 overall D-man (#43 overall fantasy player). Out of 72... that puts him in the TOP 10% of fantasy multi-cat D-men... among 'counting' players.
    Boldy was the #97 overall fantasy player. This will be about "mid-range" of the top 108 forwards.
    Lafreniere was the #193 overall fantasy player. This is outside the top 108 forwards in multi-cat. (!!!)

Dobson also finished 13th among ALL players for Blocks.
    So in leagues that count Blocks... you have a top 15 player in a category.
    That's massive - to get blocks lumped in with an offense D-men.
    Only Seider, Weegar, Carlson, and Matheson had comparable offensive stats AND those blocks.
    (In hit/blk multi-cat... these four guys are also top12 D-men... which makes them top20% at their position.)

Dobber Sports Icon

another for Dobs and Boldy, although Laffy is right there instead of Boldy...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson, Fantilli, Norris
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Drysdale
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR-
    IR-
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 1, 4, 5, 8
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Fair points.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I do want to say Dobson being 24 is very young especially for a Dman. Lafreniere also has only for the first time only hit 57. Given the valuations I’m keeping Dobson and Boldy as I think Boldy is only going to get better. I wouldn’t fault the OP for keeping Lafreniere but in a keep 6 I do not think Lafreniere warrants keeper status at least not at this point. I’m not a believer that lafreniere is a 100 point player. It’s not impossible but I think more like 70-80 points of which is similar to boldy’s ceiling though I think Boldy will have more Goals which may or may not be more valuable. If OP is a believer in the Laf attack then I wouldn’t fault him for keeping him but I think right now he’s a fairly easy redraft player.