Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Buying a car?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Question Buying a car?

I did a forum search but came up empty.

It's as easy as ever to buy a car, but I doubt it's ever been harder to make a wise long term investment in one. I believe NA still are heavy into petrol cars, SUVs or trucks, but in Europe cities are starting to ban fossil cars in the central areas. There's a heavy political push toward EVs, just like there was a heavy push toward Ethanol a decade or so ago.

I'm still on a diesel vehicle - an Audi A3 to be exact, but it's been driven close to 18000 km, and I'm looking around to potentially getting something newer.
    Part of me wants a petrol still and I'd probably prefer it somewhat analog in contrast to what appears to be coming - subscription services for all kinds of digital uplink and luxuries. Otoh, I hate to support the oil industries and most nations which produce oil.

If you're about to get a new car - what's your thought process like? EVs are starting to get cheaper. Do you already own a Tesla or similar? A hybrid?

Smartest thing might be to just hold on to your old car as long as possible, and get a new bike.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Buying a car?

Holding your current car is likely the smartest decision financially (I suspect you meant 180,000, not 18,000 kms?). That said, I traded in a BMW 1 series (with the sweet inline 6) after 7 years and it only had less than 35,000 kms. I was bored with it. I wish I could follow my own advice and kept it...at least from a financial perspective> That car was good for another 10 years with likely only maintenance costs. That said, I'm happy with what I have now.

If you decide to get a new car, the best choice will depend on your situation. If you're in the city and are not concerned about charging, then electric is likely fine. I don't expect electricity costs to go down, that said, gas prices aren't going down either! If you're in the country or have/want to drive where charging is more difficult, then a gas/diesel powered vehicle might be the better choice. I would strongly recommend not to buy a used electric vehicle. If you have to replace the battery, it is essentially the price of a low end gas powered car.

I will be the last person to get an electric vehicle, so I might not be the best guy to get advice from, lol! I am currently driving my last V-8 powered car (bought new in 2020), but she is a thirsty beast! I never complain about gas prices because I made my choice knowing that gas prices would never go down. My next car will likely be an all-wheel drive small to mid-sized gas powered car. Something I can drive all year round without having to take snow days off from driving (like I do now).

When I was trying to decide what to buy, I made a spreadsheet with all the vehicles I was considering, noting all the positive and negative points on what was important to me. I ended up with the least expensive car, but it checked way more boxes than the others that were quite a bit more expensive. I was lucky and got some money off for COVID and zero percent interest. If you need to finance, it might be better to wait until interest rates come down or until dealers offer interest rate deals.

Good luck with your decision!

Dobber Sports Immortal

We'll be in the market for a 2nd car in the coming months so I look forward to reading this.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i got RAV 4 Hybrid late October but right now unless you can buy for cash you pay a lot of money for financing...i put mine under my company so i dont feel it as much but payments are over 1k a month for 72 months...its crazy expensive right now due not to car prices but financing options.

In my situation Hybird is way to go as i drive a lot and on many days more than EV can do on single battery. i think it depends on your situation but despite all the talk and all the push (money oriented) i dont see fuel cars being discontinued any time soon..but thats just me.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Wizard

I just bought a new car about a month ago.

I usually bought used. I was driving an '08 Yaris I bought for 6k and lasted me 7 years. Both vehicles I've owned have been manual transmission and I drive them till they rot out (curse you road salt).

Honestly Electric is shit and doubt there's a future with it.
    I bought a 2024 Toyota Corolla Cross (bigger than an older Rav4 but smaller then the new ones). I had the option of going ICE or Hybrid. I opt'd not to get Hybrid because it would be added cost, but for others that drive more than myself it can be worth it (and is a small performance upgrade in my vehicle model!).

The vehicle takes 0W-8 Engine Oil which is next to impossible to find in Ontario. Going to have to go with 0W-16 for a slight hit to fuel economy (which might still be fuel savings if 0W-8 is overly expensive).

PS
    I'm loving the new vehicle! But when jump in my Yaris (that has no brakes) to move it I still feel the excitement of a manual shift)
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i got RAV 4 Hybrid late October but right now unless you can buy for cash you pay a lot of money for financing...i put mine under my company so i dont feel it as much but payments are over 1k a month for 72 months...its crazy expensive right now due not to car prices but financing options.

In my situation Hybird is way to go as i drive a lot and on many days more than EV can do on single battery. i think it depends on your situation but despite all the talk and all the push (money oriented) i dont see fuel cars being discontinued any time soon..but thats just me.
    Even at like 3% financing (some are offering that now) I'd jump on that. It builds credit and you can still make profit by keeping money in investments over if I paid outright. Though I paid outright just to be a boss and financing was at 6.1%.

Had 1k left over to scratch an itch and buy some stock

Dobber Sports Sage

i got RAV 4 Hybrid late October
    How do you like that RAV 4? My wife will need a new car sooner than later and the RAV 4 is probably our first choice right now to replace her Forester which has been a disappointment. A colleague has a new white one and it's a good-looking vehicle.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    How do you like that RAV 4? My wife will need a new car sooner than later and the RAV 4 is probably our first choice right now to replace her Forester which has been a disappointment. A colleague has a new white one and it's a good-looking vehicle.
    its my 4th toyota and my 3rd Rav 4 ...its hybrid and its good. I highly recommend it. Toyota standard and mid trims dont have too many bells and whistles but everything that is in it works well. i just had escape titanium and half of the crap did not work...what made things better is that my brother is one of leading programmers at ford so i was chirping him a bit

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Even at like 3% financing (some are offering that now) I'd jump on that. It builds credit and you can still make profit by keeping money in investments over if I paid outright. Though I paid outright just to be a boss and financing was at 6.1%.

Had 1k left over to scratch an itch and buy some stock
    so when i got mine, it was7.2 but cause they didnt have new ones i got new/used if you will. Someone bought new and brought it back with 200km on it. Its new but now you adding 3 % on top.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Good chance I would have ended up with a Rav4 if Corolla Cross wasn't a thing.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Good chance I would have ended up with a Rav4 if Corolla Cross wasn't a thing.
    too small for my needs but im sure its good car, i think every single toyota is.

Dobber Sports Wizard

two small for my needs but im sure its good car, i think every single toyota is.
    I drove a Yaris before lol. To me it's big! ha
    I don't need a big vehicle, but I really needed the clearance as rural winter's were stressful.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I drove a Yaris before lol. To me it's big! ha
    I don't need a big vehicle, but I really needed the clearance as rural winter's were stressful.
    yeah i got 2 kids and a 80lb dog...while we rarely go for full family trip in RAV 4 its good when some of us go hiking which is daily...for longer trips we use our caravan

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    We'll be in the market for a 2nd car in the coming months so I look forward to reading this.
    You have to figure out exactly what you are wanting out of the vehicle. Well... you don't have to , but if you want to get the most of it you will want to

Dobber Sports Wizard

You have to figure out exactly what you are wanting out of the vehicle. Well... you don't have to , but if you want to get the most of it you will want to
    i mostly need cheap gas as i travel a lot...about 60k a year...but at same time EV is not good fit as i do more than battery can handle many days in the summer...