Thread: Vegas extends Hanifin

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Vegas extends Hanifin

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/st...6b5F_qWlQ&s=19

$7.35 M AAV per season, 8-year deal, Noah Hanifin extends with Vegas Golden Knights
    Is that less than was rumored offered by Calgary earlier and declined? Tax difference maybe?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Default Re: Vegas extends Hanafin

That is.......too much. Yes he's only 27, but has nearly 700 career games played, meaning by the time he's 30 that'll be almost 1000, making it likelier he breaks down at an earlier age. This also likely means Theodore will be elsewhere in two seasons.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Administrator

Default Re: Vegas extends Hanifin

The way Vegas moves players in and out, there might be a year or two in there where he gets a prime PP role.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I own him in a cap league, and am debating what to do with Hanifin in the offseason. Right now, he is performing well after the trade. He is on the top pairing and PP1. This is with Theodore healthy, but Pietrangelo injured. Hence, where my concern lies. When everyone is healthy where does he slot in? I think he takes the place of Martinez on the roster, for only 2m more of a cap hit. He will be top 4 next season for sure, but what PP does he slot in on? If PP1, then not a bad cap hit for the performance that he will give. If PP2(or none at all), his cap hit becomes debatable. VGK like to balance and switch lines and roles around. Pietrangelo has become a band-aid boy the past few years, and at his current age of 34, I could see that continuing. Pietrangelo's contract is a boat anchor as well, so hard to see that contract moving. As stated, Theodore has one season left on his current deal. He has been injury prone as well the past few seasons. He has played 60 games only once in the past four years. Thus, taking injuries into consideration, I can see why Vegas took a chance and locked him in. I think the playoffs will be telling as to his future usage and how VGK see him fitting in.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

As a Theodore owner I hate this signing… Hanifin as been on PP1 lately and he performing very well to be honest.
    10 team dynasty (salary cap), start every week 12 fowards, 6 defenses and 2 goalies
    Fowards: G, A
    Defense: G, A, short handed time (0,25 pt / 2 min)
    Goalies: W 2 pt, OT lost 1pt, Shootout lost 1pt, shutout 1pt

F: Gaudreau, Matthews, Malkin, Eichel, Fiala, Zibanejad, Pavelski, Rust, Nelson, Suzuki, Eriksson Ek, Sharangovich
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Heiskanen, Montour, Theodore, Ekholm
    G: Sorokin, Bobrovsky
    Bench: Skinner, Mittelstadt, Couture, RyJo, Lehkonen, Coyle, Yamamoto, Barbashev, DeBrusk, Coronato, Luostarinen, Provorov, Lindell, Spurgeon, Orlov, Korchinski, Fleury, Samsonov, Blackwood, Husso, Vejmelka, Ersson
    Farm: Snuggerud, Miroshnichenko, But, Brisson, Rosen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

With where inflation & NHL cap is heading... I like this number for the 27-year old Hanifin and VGK.
    This takes him to age 35. I don't think this is a bad number at all.
    (Though some D seem to break down as they get into their 30s... Dougie Hamilton... others - Chara - have had no problem playing at high level through age 35.)
    (I like Hanifin's game-style... it's very paced, like Pietrangelo... and I'm on board with 8-year contracts into mid-30s for guys that can avoid injuries and not play wreckless/over-pace.)

Makes more sense than waiting/dealing with Shea Theodore as a 30-year old PP1 guy in summer 2025 UFA.

[Any Calgary fans would know - but has this guy ever had a major injury? Look like he's played 79-81gp every single season... 70/70 and 47/56 in the COVID-shortened years.]

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
    I own him in a cap league, and am debating what to do with Hanifin in the offseason. Right now, he is performing well after the trade. He is on the top pairing and PP1. This is with Theodore healthy, but Pietrangelo injured. Hence, where my concern lies. When everyone is healthy where does he slot in? I think he takes the place of Martinez on the roster, for only 2m more of a cap hit. He will be top 4 next season for sure, but what PP does he slot in on? If PP1, then not a bad cap hit for the performance that he will give. If PP2(or none at all), his cap hit becomes debatable. VGK like to balance and switch lines and roles around. Pietrangelo has become a band-aid boy the past few years, and at his current age of 34, I could see that continuing. Pietrangelo's contract is a boat anchor as well, so hard to see that contract moving. As stated, Theodore has one season left on his current deal. He has been injury prone as well the past few seasons. He has played 60 games only once in the past four years. Thus, taking injuries into consideration, I can see why Vegas took a chance and locked him in. I think the playoffs will be telling as to his future usage and how VGK see him fitting in.
    I'm not too interested in high-salary defensemen who are not elite producers. Has to be a top guy, otherwise I prefer going the cheap value route.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'm not too interested in high-salary defensemen who are not elite producers. Has to be a top guy, otherwise I prefer going the cheap value route.
    I agree with this. Hanifin has looked the part as PP1 Dman since being acquired. If that carries on to next year, I could see him getting 60. Not elite by any means, but your elite D are hovering around the 10m AAV mark. 7.35m AAV for 60pts wouldn't be horrible.

Dobber Sports Superstar

When I grow up I want to be an above average but far from elite NHL D Man (:

Sweet contract for Hanifin, but wow, these guys are getting paid a Kings Ransom, are they worth it???? Maybe a topic for another thread?
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Titan

8yrs ago, if you could skate and chew gum, guys were getting $4m/yr. Which was about 6% of the cap. Now Hanifin is getting almost 9%.

Imagine if he was a righty.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Sweet contract for Hanifin, but wow, these guys are getting paid a Kings Ransom, are they worth it???? Maybe a topic for another thread?
    Defensemen are - in my opinion - by far... the most underappreciated players from fandom viewpoints.
    They are - though - emerging into the "finally paid higher and rightly" that NFL left tackles started getting at one point.

The challenge is that these days... defensemen that are big AND great skaters are very valuable... and VERY rare.
    The forwards coming into the NHL today are so deft with their edgework/footwork - so shifty - that they are turning a lot of the old-guard (guys like Erik Johnson & ME Vlasic) inside out.

Guys like Pietrangelo & Hanifin & Sergachev & Slavin...
    And a young group like Harley & Sanderson & Guhle...
    And it's why guys like Reinbacher & Simashev end up going in advance of Michkov & Leonard...
    [Bret Hedican probably wishes he was born 20+ years later than he was... he'd be rich.]

Last year - the VGK blueline was a big grind for team in a 7-game playoff series.

So... it IS kind of like the old "chew gum & skate"...
    But now, really... it's "dance & do math equations about what the opposing puck-carrying or non-carrying forward is going to do in the next half-second".

It's a reactionary cost of the new forwards...
    You need somebody still big enough to muscle the big guys... but fleet enough to dance with the good skaters.

GMs know.
    The rest of us... you'd have to step on the ice and play against the range of NHL forwards... perhaps... to appreciate it.
    From TV viewing - it's just really underappreciated how tough it is to defend against today's range of NHL forwards.
    Experienced, great skating 34 year old... they can be worth $8m.

Standard economics... supply & demand.
    The demand for great-skating, great-defending big D-men is high.
    The supply for great-skating, great-defending big D-men is low.
    $$$$