Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lesser known G prospects to target?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Lesser known G prospects to target?

For the (pretty deep) league and team in signature.
    After having decided to go for it, I don't have any early picks left. Gs are generally pretty valueable in this league (min of 3 G starts required per week in a 24 teams league...).

So my approach with G prospetcs is basically to have quite a few and hope that some of them stick. Most noteables are owned though, so I'll have to go bargain hunting. Do any of the following FA names stick out to you that I should target?

Any input highly appreciated as we're pretty much in the depths of scouting here... Thanks a bunch!

Ryan Bischel
    Reid Dyck
    Samuel Hlavaj
    Francesco Lapenna
    Lukas Matecha
    Victor Ostman
    Luke Pavicich
    Ludvig Persson
    Samuel St-Hilaire
    Connor Ungar
    Jesper Vikman
    Cameron Whitehead
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Lesser known G prospects to target?

The only two names I even recognize there is Cameron Whitehead and Connor Ungar only because the latter was just signed by Edmonton. That doesn't mean anything as far as potential, only names I recognize.

Personally I dont think I'd waste a roster spot on ANY of these guys. The chances of any of them becoming fantasy relevant is so slim it's ridiculous, and by the odd chance that one of them becomes fantasy relevant, expecting anyone to be able to predict it is even slimmer.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

To be honest with you, I have not heard of any of those players. I would not waste your roster spots on any of them. Fantasy GMs can normally wait on goalies on only pick them up once they start showing something in the AHL. For instance, this season there were multiple goalies in the AHL who earned themselves NHL contracts during the season even though they did not start the year with one including Isaak Poulter in NJ. These are more the types of goalies you should be adding then the guys in your list.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I personally would suggest that it might be easier and perhaps more beneficial to count the number of Hydrogen molecules in the universe than to get in this deep with prospect goalies. I've also never heard of any of them. If one of these guys actually has a decent NHL career, I'll eat my shorts, cause most of the guys you have heard of will never have a decent NHL career (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    ...most of the guys you have heard of will never have a decent "AHL" career (:
    Fixed it for you.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

There is simply not enough time in any (non- hockey-employed) person's day to know anything significant about any of these prospects.
    I would say, we've seen 2-3 goalies rise out of ECHL success in past 15 years (Darling, Binnington)...
    So if you are taking "shots in the dark" or looking for "needles in the haystack"...
    I'd be focusing on the ECHL.

Dobber Sports Star

I've never heard of any of these guys.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Good Man!!!
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Lol - thanks a bunch for your honesty guys, much apprechiated!
    I wish I could draft the Wallstedts and Askarovs of this world, but our farms are so deep, that - only counting Gs alone - there are already 180 G prospects taken and on our farms. So it really is about shots in the dark at this point....
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Titan

When the league and the farm system is big enough and you get into these types of players, I agree that there is more likely to be a sudden change in value from a goalie as compared to a skater. I was doing something similar in the UHL at one point, owning 7-8 goalies in a farm of 15. The goalies don't even have to hit, they just have to jump into the public eye with the possibility to hit, and then your can trade them for current assets. That's the best way to keep up in a deep league like this when you don't have the high draft picks to feed the player turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    There is simply not enough time in any (non- hockey-employed) person's day to know anything significant about any of these prospects.
    I would say, we've seen 2-3 goalies rise out of ECHL success in past 15 years (Darling, Binnington)...
    So if you are taking "shots in the dark" or looking for "needles in the haystack"...
    I'd be focusing on the ECHL.
    I liked P7's answer, where he may not have answers about the names you listed - and I don't know more than two or three of the names either - but the method that you go about it can be done more systematically to maximize your likelihood. The goalies in Russia that make it to the PRO ranks at a younger age have much better success rates than others. That's where I would focus, maybe with the ECHL too.

Looking at it the other way though, which teams are set to lose or promote a goalie in the offseason that they are less likely to replace. Then look for any 4th stringers (assuming every 3rd string is owned) and you might be able to come up with something. For example, the Bruins will probably trade Ullmark and run with Swayman and Bussi next year. However, Michael DiPietro has been very good at the AHL level, is also right at that promotion age of 24, and needs waivers to be sent down. It's possible Kyle Keyser is suddenly a #3 or 4 on the depth chart for them. If you own Keyser, or pick him up now, then as soon as that happens you shop him to the Bussi or Swayman owner as insurance, and get an upgrade elsewhere.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Excellent advice Eskimo!
    You're right, it's only about trading up in a league like this, I don't have to find the next Hellebuyck. From my current team the only guy I've actually drafted and has spent time on my farm is Moser. All the other picks that turned into something I've shipped away as soon as there was value to be had. It's only about keeping this conveyor belt of sellable talent running

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    I've never heard of any of these guys.
    LOL- Me neither and I feel I'm semi-knowledgeable about goalie prospects.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Master

great advice as usual from EB .

I'll toss another longshot goalie into the fire ; Henrik Tikkanen - 6'8 , 200 .

islanders drafted him in 2020 but have yet to offer him an ELC - however , they've managed to keep him in their system by signing him to an AHL deal . He's played better than Skarek/Appelby during a recent call up to the AHL from ECHL 7/5/2 , .927 save pctg which is impressive considering how bad the isles AHL team is .

He's technically a ufa and as we know isles have sorokin/varly tied down long term . Maybe he gets signed by a team willing to offer him a two-way nhl deal since the Isles already have Skarek signed for 1 more year and Tristan Lennox for 2 more years

Dobber Sports Monster

Probably not 'lesser known' but I am in a 24 team, fairly deep rosters and the goalies I been able to grab on waiver wire has been:

Niklas Kokko
    Jacob Fowler (value seems to be increasing the past several months)
    Leevi Merilainen

But it seems like after this is a total crap shoot. Goalies seem to be somewhat hard to project. I really like Fowler and Kokko though.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Dude is in a 24 team league with a massive roster AND a 44 man farm team and the best you guys can muster is... don't bother?

I've run up against a lot of issues with this site i sort.of never thought I would...

BUT

Shaming a guys list because hes in an immensely deep league??

You know you can opt not to say anything right? Jiminy cricket

I think Kokkonis in the perfect storm to be underrated, drafted and have huge upside (starter).

Outside of that whitehead the only guy I've really heard about there and I believe there's some speculative value...
    Weekly changes- protect 6-12 each year determined randomly- and the rest stay on board so.its like a pseudo dynasty. 2c, 3w, 1ff, 4d, 2g

The scoring is skaters: g4, a2, sog 1, pim 0.25, st+1, and +/- 1 for forwards and +/-3 for defense.
    Goalies: W6, L-2,sv0.3, SO 3 and player scoring for G and A.

Rebuilding
    C- Hughes, Carlsson
    W- Laf, Slaf, Michkov, Buchy
    D- Weresnki, L Hughes, Clarke, Xhekaj
    G- Swayman, Wolf
    B- Wright, Sharnagovich, Tolvanen, Mangiapane, Schmid, Other Junk
    Farm- Michkov, Holtz, Stankoven, N Robertson, Cristall[, Cossa