Thread: He's Coming... a Slow-Rise... Drew O'Connor (PIT)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default He's Coming... a Slow-Rise... Drew O'Connor (PIT)

I've owned him for 4 years, since he came out of college as unsigned FA.
    I was really excited when he played at the April/May Worlds (with the no-playoff NHLers) and got good ice-time.
    He scored 7 goals in 10 games!
    He does almost everything right out there... albeit in a very vanilla sort of way.

Started the season making PIT's 3rd line (Zohorna-Eller) a PLUS line.
    Got some time with Crosby & Guentzel in Nov/Dec... while Rust was down.
    This calendar year, time with Malkin & R.Smith.
    https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/...w-o'connor
    Shot is good (not great), hockey IQ is good (not great), skating is good (not great)...

But he works.
    The stats are coming.
    2nd star last night... simple snipe on Karlsson's zone entry, wait, awareness, then small dish from Puustinen.

Month-by-month splits (ESPN link) show the slow-rise in ice-time, shots per game, points per game.
    Very, very consistent... but trending up.
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/player/spli...6/drew-oconnor

Not "fantasy"-fun, but something I really like... he has a very low goal-against-per-game rate.
    Just 21 even-strength goals against in 54gp x 13:10 TOI/gp.
    If one checks that math against all other players... it's probably right there in best defensive-goal-against-rate per minute.
    https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?re...=0&pageSize=50
    His +9 at even-strength is 4th best as F on PIT (rate-wise per minute/game...)
    Basically right there behind the three top liners - whose rate is linked together - Guentzel/Crosby/Rust.

(Hopefully I don't get this one as wrong as Gawanke and Amadeus Lombardi... LOL)

Any other owners been watching/tracking him this season?!

The Great One

Default Re: He's Coming... a Slow-Rise... Drew O'Connor (PIT)

A lot depends on Guentzel's UFA decision. If he bolts, O'Connor could be the next Rust, or, perhaps more similarly, the next Kunitz or Dupuis.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^True, but...

I was more looking for knowing if others have liked what they've seen to this point.
    A player's long-term upside is mostly a function of what they themselves have to offer.
    That's more of the discussion I was hoping others would contribute.

Dobber Sports Ace

Pittsburgh looks like a sinking ship right now. That's the only thing that would prevent me from getting too excited about his future. Alot would depend on how the next few weeks go, if he's still around there's alot of short-term potential at least depending on who else still is/isn't there.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

(sigh)
    Towards - the team around a player:
    One could argue that (insert team) could improve by adding (PlayerX) and being better as a team and those points trickle to (PlayerY)... and another could argue that could steal minutes from (PlayerY).
    One could argue that (insert team) will be worse by losing (PlayerX) and being lesser as a team could remove points from (PlayerY)... and another could argue that situ could add more minutes to (PlayerY).
    ^These things are always in flux in the NHL.
    And for "established players", yes - you think about these things for fantasy value.

But for young players, the most critical thing is how is THIS player coming along.
    We would/should agree that is the discussion most important to a young developing player's fantasy upside, yes?

So... O'Connor...
    Does anybody have any takes on the ACTUAL PLAYER HIMSELF?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I’m with you at the beginning of O’Connor’s career. I’ve certainly lost excitement but when I see he gets elevated in the lineup I try to pick him up. I personally don’t see much more than a good 3rd liner with some offensive upside and the ability to play up in the lineup. Almost a Warren Foegele type. I think he could hit 50 points at some point especially if Pittsburg blows it up he’ll be a top sixer. I personally wouldn’t get too excited but in a deep league 50 points is nothing to sneeze at. I don’t see him breaking out for 70 points and shocking us all but I wouldn’t give up on him being a useful NHLer and even useful fantasy contributor.