Thread: Laf vs Slaf

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Laf vs Slaf

League settings and roster in signature. Who ya got for this season and beyond? Lafreniere vs Slafkovsky.
    Goals, assists, points, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, hits, blocks, goalie wins, GAA, Sv%, shutouts.

8 teams - Keep 6 in bold (including maximum of 1 goalie).

Kaprizov, Rantanen, Svechnikov, Larkin, Hischier, Horvat, Batherson, Trocheck, Reinhart, Marchessault, Buchnevich, Tarasenko, Boeser, Meier, Tolvanen, Lafreniere, Barbashev, Teravainen.

Heiskanen, Theodore, Chabot, Chychrun, Sanheim, Weegar, Burns, Sergachev (IR).

Saros, Skinner.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Laf vs Slaf

Both will be great, but given the role and responsibilities Slaf has been given at 19, and what he’s done at this tender age, I’d pretty easily go Slaf.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ace

Agree with Ross. Both will be great, but give me Slaf and his prime deployment.

Dobber Sports Ace

Slaf for me as well

The Great One

Laffy has made nice strides, but he's yet to penetrate PP1, and those who are mainstays on it are signed for a while, so he's going to need to push someone off the top unit, which might be easier said that done. Meanwhile Slaf is now a PP1 fixture. I'm taking Slaf.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I am really no longer excited about Lafreniere. I see him topping out at 70 points though his total lack of any REAL progression has me afraid his development has been stunted even potentially ruined. I traded him for Buchnevich who is, at this point, the max of what I ever see Laf becoming.

I also owned Slaf briefly and traded him in a deal that netted me Rossi and Lundell (thinking Lundell was going to burst this year and Slaf was 5 years at least from relevance) and turned Rossi and my 1st rounder to get the pick that got me Michkov. I am starting to regret not keeping Slaf. Though I still think his ceiling closer to 80 I’m starting to think man this kid could blow the doors of the league and maybe he is the next Jagr. I still think it’s safer to say his ceiling is around 80 but I really have no doubts he’ll hit it at this point. Laf I am starting to doubt he’ll be a star. I’m going Slaf on this one with no hesitations.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Slakfovsky for me.
    Especially with the game shifting to smaller players... his big size is going to be difficult for the influx of smaller, slick skating D to defend.

Meanwhile, I think Lafreniere's game may have worked against an average-sized Q.
    And the better skating NHL seems to defend his game well.
    I still think Laf has game, he's a super keen player.
    But his skills seemed to be 2-levels above everybody in the Q... and only "right there" with a lot of the NHL defending him.

There's some players... the "jump" in leagues just catches their "betterment" over their previous league.
    I'm starting to feel that way on Laf.
    It's like he had 20-year old "NHL" game (as a 16/17/18yr old) versus the Q... which dominated it.
    And currently he has (actual) 22-year old "NHL" game in the NHL... which does OK... but not great.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Slakfovsky for me.
    Especially with the game shifting to smaller players... his big size is going to be difficult for the influx of smaller, slick skating D to defend.

Meanwhile, I think Lafreniere's game may have worked against an average-sized Q.
    And the better skating NHL seems to defend his game well.
    I still think Laf has game, he's a super keen player.
    But his skills seemed to be 2-levels above everybody in the Q... and only "right there" with a lot of the NHL defending him.

There's some players... the "jump" in leagues just catches their "betterment" over their previous league.
    I'm starting to feel that way on Laf.
    It's like he had 20-year old "NHL" game (as a 16/17/18yr old) versus the Q... which dominated it.
    And currently he has (actual) 22-year old "NHL" game in the NHL... which does OK... but not great.
    I like this assessment. It’s possible we’re starting to sour on him early but you know what if he was the 100point superstar he was touted to be he’d be making big strides regardless of deployment. The best will always find a way through their lack of ice time and for that reason I don’t see Lafreniere being anything more than a good support player 70 points and good BASH.

Administrator

Slafkovsky at 19 and Laf at 22 are interchangeable. It's not a slam dunk but I would bet on the 19 year old.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

This seems to be a fun one to revisit.

Slaf looks to really be clicking and has looked great. He is also getting solid deployment and PP time.

Lafreniere has also looked great this season.

what is everyone’s thoughts going forward?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Slaf is showing all signs of being a "Rantanen". 90-100pts possible if the top line keeps with high-chemistry.
    Laf is showing all signs of also being very, very good. 90pts possible if he keeps with top line and PP1.

I like Slaf a bit better because he's a lock for "top 3F" on Montreal.
    So even if they win lottery and get a guy like Celebrini... it won't displace Slaf from PP1.