Thread: Dahlin vs Q. Hughes

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Dahlin vs Q. Hughes

I own Dahlin in a keep-4 auction league and have been sent multiple offers that include my Dahlin and another manger’s Quinn Hughes. Huts and blocks are categories in our format and the keeper prices are $39 for Dahlin and $29 for Hughes over the next 2 years. Which would you prefer of the two for the given prices and categories?
    12 Team H2H 6x6
    G,A,SOG,PPP,Hits,Blocks
    W,L,GAA,SV%,Saves,SO
    Auction Keeper, Keep 1 Each of C, W, D, G

C - McDavid
    C - Hischier
    LW - J. Hughes
    LW - Pacioretty
    RW - Rantanen
    RW - Rakell
    D - Dahlin
    D - Theodore
    D - Montour
    D - Lauzon
    U - Cozens

BN - Bennett
    BN - Slafkovsky
    BN - Killorn

IR+ - Terry
    IR+ - Vilardi
    IR - Norris

G - Shesterkin
    G - Saros

NA - Askarov

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Dahlin vs Q. Hughes

In most systems, Hughes has outperformed Dahlin straight up this year. On that alone, Hughes at $10 cheaper makes him the better asset. Even if Hughes regresses some due to the PDO monster, that probably gets them to even, which is still a Hughes win. I don't see how, barring injury, Dahlin can be counted on to be 25% more valuable than Hughes for the next 2 years.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thank you for the input and factoring in the possible regression. In my league Dahlin is the higher ranked player (18 vs 33 respectively) due to the hits/blocks categories.
    12 Team H2H 6x6
    G,A,SOG,PPP,Hits,Blocks
    W,L,GAA,SV%,Saves,SO
    Auction Keeper, Keep 1 Each of C, W, D, G

C - McDavid
    C - Hischier
    LW - J. Hughes
    LW - Pacioretty
    RW - Rantanen
    RW - Rakell
    D - Dahlin
    D - Theodore
    D - Montour
    D - Lauzon
    U - Cozens

BN - Bennett
    BN - Slafkovsky
    BN - Killorn

IR+ - Terry
    IR+ - Vilardi
    IR - Norris

G - Shesterkin
    G - Saros

NA - Askarov

Dobber Sports Star

Ah, well then that changes the analysis if your own league gives Dahlin the advantage. If your system has Dahlin being clearly superior to Hughes, then it makes it much closer a question. Then it seems that their monetary values are pretty aligned, more or less. Again, I expect Quinn to regress a little next year, and Dahlin to be about the same. If that's the case, then I might want to keep Dahlin just in the hope that he takes a step forward like Hughes did this year. Or we can fall back to the general rule, if you've got a top 20 talent or value, let someone else bowl you over to make you deal the player. Don't deal big talent on the hope of making a small margin.

The Great One

Hughes is outstanding, but a rising tide is lifting his boat at least somewhat - that is, part of why he's doing comparatively better this season is the team around him doing better. Yes, he's shooting more so that helps, but I don't see him as the 100 point defenseman he is now. Dahlin, on the other hand, is an amazing talent in his own right. Also, don't mistake his 2023-24 stats for him not being elite. He has IPPs that are extraordinary for a defenseman, but his team's on ice shooting percentage is 6.5%, which is lower than his own personal shooting percentage. He also is tied for seventh in percentage of games with at least one point, but only 13th in games with 2+ points. And the fact he is far and away the better multicat guy can't be ignored. I want to own Dahlin in your format, even over Hughes.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

Dahlin is the better option for your league.

Dobber Sports Ace

I’d go with Dahlin