Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UAPs gaining traction in media

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default UAPs gaining traction in media

Formerly known as UFOs. It's been a fringe/controversial pseudoscience up until a couple of years back, but at least in US media, and on youtube, I'm seeing more and more about it. Still a controversial topic to some degree, but things appear to be leaking out and perhaps we'll see more of it in the upcoming years? Alien tech of some kind?

...or have I just been fed an algorithm from youtube which suits me and little has changed?
    What's your take on the UAP - unidentified anomalous phenomenon? Do you see more about these things, more claims that appear worthy of pursuing and getting answers from? Bogus reports or covered up aliens?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: UAPs gaining traction in media

I like Garry Nolans point of view (Stanford professor among other things)on this Lex Friedman podcast .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCc2-1tbBQ

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nothing new at all. No solid evidence. Just because something is unidentified doesn't mean it isn't something mundane.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I had seen the Garry Nolan video and I agree.
    I can't say I know these guys, but I liked this discussion too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdwuhU_zu8Y . Avi Loeb is a bit more controversial figure I believe, but I agree to the general view that these things should be researched more.

No solid evidence can be found if there's next to no research gone into it. Could be mundane things, could be extraordinary things.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Unfortunately Avi Loeb has gone off the rails.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

UAP - its actually just Superman flying to save the next person...

Dobber Sports Veteran

The movie "Contact" contains a pretty good line that's stuck with me and fairly summarizes my thoughts on the topic at this point:

The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space.
    I do think there's more and more anecdotal evidence these days of something being out there. Color me naive, but I give more credence to reports and video/radar footage from military pilots of things they've seen that don't obey the laws of physics as we know them than I did to the random sightings of John or Jane Q citizen somewhere in an open field in the middle of pick your country. Doesn't mean there isn't necessarily and totally benign explanation for these more recent sightings. But simply assuming there must be seems to be more and more hopeful thinking these days too.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Unfortunately pilots are just as susceptible to being fooled as the general public.

I would LOVE for there to be some sort of (non-lethal) intelligent life out there. As of right now, particularly given the ubiquitousness of cameras in every pocket, there is no reason to think we have been visited. If you're interested in seeing really great breakdowns of UFO/UAP videos by someone who knows his shit then go check out Mick West. He does a great job breaking down why so many of them have pretty boring (or likely boring) explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Unfortunately pilots are just as susceptible to being fooled as the general public.

I would LOVE for there to be some sort of (non-lethal) intelligent life out there. As of right now, particularly given the ubiquitousness of cameras in every pocket, there is no reason to think we have been visited. If you're interested in seeing really great breakdowns of UFO/UAP videos by someone who knows his shit then go check out Mick West. He does a great job breaking down why so many of them have pretty boring (or likely boring) explanations.
    Yup.... just go to a local SR hockey game and see how quick the phones come out when a fight breaks out in the game. People are very quick on the draw to get those phones out!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    UAP - its actually just Superman flying to save the next person...
    Hey you know when they say "its a bird... no its a plane.. no wait its... Superman!!"- why is the guy who thinks its a bird so excited? I mean its just a bird?
    Weekly changes- protect 6-12 each year determined randomly- and the rest stay on board so.its like a pseudo dynasty. 2c, 3w, 1ff, 4d, 2g

The scoring is skaters: g4, a2, sog 1, pim 0.25, st+1, and +/- 1 for forwards and +/-3 for defense.
    Goalies: W6, L-2,sv0.3, SO 3 and player scoring for G and A.

Rebuilding
    C- Hughes, Carlsson
    W- Laf, Slaf, Michkov, Buchy
    D- Weresnki, L Hughes, Clarke, Xhekaj
    G- Swayman, Wolf
    B- Wright, Sharnagovich, Tolvanen, Mangiapane, Schmid, Other Junk
    Farm- Michkov, Holtz, Stankoven, N Robertson, Cristall[, Cossa

Quote Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
    Hey you know when they say "its a bird... no its a plane.. no wait its... Superman!!"- why is the guy who thinks its a bird so excited? I mean its just a bird?
    Have you never watched this movie... its not 'just a bird' to some!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post

Given the time we live in, I'm not sure pictures or videos of UAPs will ever be enough either. Text to Video AI - Sora was released just a couple of days ago and from what it looks, it will be tough to distinguish AI videos from reality. I'm expecting an uptick in both UAP- as well as Bigfoot videos.

There have been some hearings in the recent years, and maybe more people will come out and share their info, which may or may not lead to something substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    Given the time we live in, I'm not sure pictures or videos of UAPs will ever be enough either. Text to Video AI - Sora was released just a couple of days ago and from what it looks, it will be tough to distinguish AI videos from reality. I'm expecting an uptick in both UAP- as well as Bigfoot videos.

There have been some hearings in the recent years, and maybe more people will come out and share their info, which may or may not lead to something substantial.
    Are you suggesting Big Foot isn't real?

​​

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Are you suggesting Big Foot isn't real?
    No no I just fear people won't trust all the true Bigfoot photos..

Dobber Sports Ninja

Sora is pretty cool.

Being able to distinguish between faked video/photos and real is certainly a challlenge, and one that is increasingly going to become even more difficult, but it's one that we are going to need to come up with solutions to for far more important things than blurry weather balloon videos. I don't buy it as an excuse for why people won't believe these videos/photos. Skilled analysis shows that they almost always have easily explainable origins.

These conspiracy theories tend to go in cycles as they die out of the public consciousness. As more people grow up who were not exposed to all of the ways that these things got shot down by experts in the past they think they came up with new ideas. They didn't. It's the same rehashed blurry videos and "Doug heard from Bob who fills the photocopy paper at the Pentagon that there might be things hidden there" that has always existed. Nothing new.

Like I said, I would be one of the very first to be absolutely elated to see some solid evidence. Right now we have none sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

No no I just fear people won't trust all the true Bigfoot photos..
    Bigfoot does not exist either so you don't need to worry about it.