Thread: Keep 3

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Keep 3

Hi everyone,

With the trade deadline coming up I'm looking at trade options. Due to an extensive injury list I doubt I'll be able to get into the money this year (top 4 out of 12), likely to finish 5th or 6th. If my team had been healthy I could have been 3rd. I'm looking hard at my keepers and wanted opinions on who to keep. Trades are hard to come by as there is a big gulf between competing teams not wanting to trade with a competitor, and rebuilding teams who have no assets to trade.

With that in mind, how would you rank the following as my last three keepers?

Giroux
    W Johnston
    Lafreniere
    Faber
    Weegar
    Norris
    Laine

I'm thinking Giroux is a must, and likely Weegar although that would make me heavy on D. I'd hate to lose Norris or Laine as I think they're talented and they'd go in the first round but they're so injury-ridden they're no use to me on IR. Johnston and Lafreniere have similar numbers, and Faber was a waiver wire pickup but has surprised me. Assuming no trades, who would you prefer?

Thanks in advance!
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

The Great One

Default Re: Keep 3

I'd trade, not keep Faber, as I think his value is VERY inflated. He's not meant to be doing what he's doing, and won't when there are other options. But people are going gaga over him. Use that to your advantage.

If I look at the rest of your team, you're probably not going to be in the top echelon next year, so you either want to keep guys you can trade for value or guys who will pay off later. Giroux is not enough of a name, so he's a no. Weegar is also a trade candidate, not a keeper. Johnston is a keeper though, and so is Norris. Johnston is cemented into the top six and could be on PP1 as soon as next season. Norris has a huge contract that will keep him in the mix. The last spot is probably Laine, for risk/reward, or Laffy, for slightly less risk, likely less reward.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Keep 3

Like RizzeeDizzee said, I would trade Weegar. His shooting percentage is double what his career average is, and he is on a team that will likely be a lot less competitive after the trade deadline. He is putting together a strong season, but this is t the norm for him going forward in my opinion. Trade him.

I would also put feelers out on Fabar to see if someone would pay up. If the return is not what you’d like, he is a bubble keeper for you.

For your keepers, I like Johnston. I would put Laine and Norris in a similar spot of injury risk players. Norris having injuries to the same shoulder worries me though. I love Norris’ potential, but I just don’t see him ever reaching it. I would keep one of these two, but would not want to keep both due to injury risks. I would also keep Lafreniere. With the eye test, he has looked good. Because the Rangers have been a strong team the past few years they didn’t need Laffy and thus he was stuck in a 3rd like role which I think delayed his development. I think he only continues to grow from here.