Thread: Keeper Plan and trade offer - will REP

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Keeper Plan and trade offer - will REP

Howdy.

So I took over a team in a 10 man keeper league (Yahoo) this fall that counts G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, and SHO. You can keep any 8 players. Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G (minimum 4 goalie starts per week). There are a few powerhouse teams that I am unable to compete with so have tried to flip this team and look for 2-3 years from now as my window. Trading has been slow but had a few successful ones.

Looking to get opinions on who your 8 keepers would be currently and why (I will note D seem to be undervalued by most GMs in the league: Durzi, Werenski, and Chabot all FAs currently).

Vatrano, Suzuki, Lafreniere, Eklund, Marner, Bratt, Terry, Slafkovsky, Rossi, Cozens, Zegras.

L. Hughes, McAvoy, Sergachev, B. Clarke, Faber, Zellweger.

Only goalie worth considering Gustavsson.

I am in last by a mile so should get the 1st overall next year and have another 1st round pick I received in a trade.

Players like Cooley and Guenther are FAs so lots of young options I could add but doubt they would make the keepers list.

I was also recently offered this trade and am leaning towards a no but thought I’d also ask and get some outside thoughts on it…

My McAvoy for his Byfield.

Will REP where and when I can. Thanks!
    32 Team Salary Cap Dynasty - Fantrax
    Start: 12F, 6D, 2G - Scoring: G/A 1, SOG/Hit/Blk 0.1, W/SHO 1, SV 0.05

F:
    Bemstrom, Meier, Danault, Fantilli, Di Giuseppe, Greenway,
    Hischier, W. Johnston, P. Kane, Marchment,
    Palat, Seguin, Blackwell, Merela, Reaves.

D:
    Ceci, DeAngelo, Girard, Liljegren,
    N. Lundkvist, Walman, Schmidt, Emberson.

G: Sorokin, Quick, Kochetkov.

Minors: Arcuri, Misiak, Nesterenko, Perreault, Ponomayov,

T. Robertson, Simontaival, Soderblom, A. Thompson, Unger Sorum,
    S. Walker, J. Wise, Brunet, Hollowell, Honka, Mynio, Nause,
    Commesso, Hamrla, Portillo, Svedeback, Makiniemi.

Default Re: Keeper Plan and trade offer - will REP

I think im passing on the trade i would rather have McAvoy than Byfield Keppers are tough even though you may be in last you have some good young players i would keep Suzuki, L Hughes, sergachev,Suzuki, Marner, Zegras, cozens, Bratt

Are there any restrictions on keepers (they cost a draft pick, can only be kept for so long, etc.)? Assuming there aren't, I'd keep Suzuki, Marner, Bratt, Rossi, Cozens, Hughes, Terry, and Gustavsson. You could swap Gustavsson out for Slafkovsky, Zegras, or Eklund, but I think Gustavsson should bounce back next season. SHG and GWG are kind of random cats, so as I mention below, I think you want to priority guys who get consistent powerplay time, especially on their teams top units. That's why I'm mostly staying away from defense and Vatrano and Lafreniere. Unless something dramatic happens to the Rangers roster, Lafreniere isn't getting a sniff of PP1 any time soon and Vatrano is likely to get traded. Without knowing where he goes, it's hard to say if he'll get PP1.

Looking at the cats, I can see why D are undervalued. No shots, hits, or blocks as cats, so the most valuable D are going to be the ones who get PP1 on teams with strong powerplays (Makar, Quinn Hughes, Bouchard, etc.). With that in mind, I would take that deal. With these cats, Byfield >> McAvoy.
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As Darkwing mention, with no SOG, HIT and BLK as stats, D lose value. Even then, I would still keep McAvoy over Byfield as even with these stats he is producing equally or even better than Byfield. Sure Byfield will probably out produce him in the future, but I think you're more likely to be able to redraft him next year and see how he develops.

My keepers would be Suzuki, Marner, Bratt, Hughes, McAvoy, Terry, Cozens and then one of Zegras/Gustavsson.

What are the keepers looking like in this league for goalies? With 4 starts and goalie stats counting for over, 30% I guess many goalies are kept if your only significant goalie is Gustavsson. I would try and draft goalies early next season or work out a trade with a team that has too many keeper worthy players at the end of the season.
    12 teams H2H Keeper
    Keep 7 (1 each position, +2 any position but goalie)
    G A P PPP SOG FW HITS BLK PIM W GAA SV% SHO
    Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 4D 2U 2G 5B
    C: Mackinnon Matthews Thomas Bennett Pinto
    LW: Kaprizov Buchnevich (C) Fiala Drouin (C)
    RW: JT Miller (C) Barzal (C) Jarvis (C) Geekie (C)
    D: Fox Hamilton (IR) Nurse Faber Harley Manson Chabot
    G: Hellebuyck Rittich Ingram Lyon Andersen (IR)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Puck View Post
    Are there any restrictions on keepers (they cost a draft pick, can only be kept for so long, etc.)? Assuming there aren't, I'd keep Suzuki, Marner, Bratt, Rossi, Cozens, Hughes, Terry, and Gustavsson. You could swap Gustavsson out for Slafkovsky, Zegras, or Eklund, but I think Gustavsson should bounce back next season. SHG and GWG are kind of random cats, so as I mention below, I think you want to priority guys who get consistent powerplay time, especially on their teams top units. That's why I'm mostly staying away from defense and Vatrano and Lafreniere. Unless something dramatic happens to the Rangers roster, Lafreniere isn't getting a sniff of PP1 any time soon and Vatrano is likely to get traded. Without knowing where he goes, it's hard to say if he'll get PP1.

Looking at the cats, I can see why D are undervalued. No shots, hits, or blocks as cats, so the most valuable D are going to be the ones who get PP1 on teams with strong powerplays (Makar, Quinn Hughes, Bouchard, etc.). With that in mind, I would take that deal. With these cats, Byfield >> McAvoy.
    No restrictions on keepers at all. Seeing what the GMs kept last year it was primarily forwards, only a handful of dmen, and a fair amount of goalies. It seems as though it’s best to keep forwards and tons of D are available in the draft.

Definitely a different league structure than I have been in before and surprising enough 2 of the top 3 teams don’t even run 4 D. They have an empty roster spot to carry an extra goalie or forward.

Quote Originally Posted by zaz2712 View Post
    As Darkwing mention, with no SOG, HIT and BLK as stats, D lose value. Even then, I would still keep McAvoy over Byfield as even with these stats he is producing equally or even better than Byfield. Sure Byfield will probably out produce him in the future, but I think you're more likely to be able to redraft him next year and see how he develops.

My keepers would be Suzuki, Marner, Bratt, Hughes, McAvoy, Terry, Cozens and then one of Zegras/Gustavsson.

What are the keepers looking like in this league for goalies? With 4 starts and goalie stats counting for over, 30% I guess many goalies are kept if your only significant goalie is Gustavsson. I would try and draft goalies early next season or work out a trade with a team that has too many keeper worthy players at the end of the season.
    Last year there were 19 goalies as keepers. So 19 out of 80 keepers were goalies. They do have significant value.

I just acquired Gus in a trade involving Daccord.

Edit: For context my current goalies are Gus, Kuemper, Montembault, and UPL. Levi and Dostal are FA's that have my interest as well.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Keepers - Marner, McAvoy, Suzuki, Zegras, L. Hughes, Bratt, Terry and Cozens.

Wouldn't make that trade McAvoy for Byfield. McAvoy is sneaky valuable d man. Hits all the categories.
    12 team roto points CBS roster
    Categories: G, A, SOG, STPTS, PIM, HT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%
    Start 6 FW, 4 DEF, 2GT, 4 Bench, 2 IR
    FW: Brady Tkachuk, Filip Forsberg, Brock Boeser, Vincent Trocheck, Alex DeBrincat, Adrian Kempe, Matt Boldy, Wyatt Johnston
    DEF: Cale Makar, Brandon Montour, Jacob Trouba, Mackenzie Weegar
    GT: Jakob Markstrom, Filip Gustavsson, Alex Lyon
    I

I’ll add this question. The more I think about the value of goalies and how many are kept/hoarded each year would any of the following have potential keeper value in anyones mind…

UPL, Montembault, Dostal, or Levi. Or better left as target for the draft next year?

If you were stockpiling prospects as part of a rebuilding effort, I'd probably take a look at Dostal. But the Ducks are so bad right now, I don't think he'd be worth keeping with only 8 keepers. Ditto for Montembeault. UPL and Levi are more interesting to me, but the problem is that they handcuff each other (kinky), so you would kind of need to keep both and I don't think you have two keepers you can give up from your current roster. I'd stick with Gustavsson.
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann