Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking: charges coming for 2018 WJC

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Breaking: charges coming for 2018 WJC

I also think the remaining 3 people involved, don't have enough evidence right now to charge them.

Now this is going back a bit, so I might have the start of this wrong but...
    A player said he waited in the lobby to get pizza delivered to him. When he showed up to the room he saw what was happening and got uncomfortable and left. He could have been in the room long enough to be identified by EM, but didn't do enough to get charged.

But it looks like the other 3 won't be charged unless one of these 5 snitch.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    They are not "innocent", they have already admitted to gang banging and sexually degrading a young women who thought she was going home with one of the five. They filmed her saying it was consensual and then texted her within days to ask if she had gone to the police. Who does that if they didn't do anything wrong? I find it hard to believe she wasn't at best coerced, and at worst raped. If they are found innocent it will be because the consent part or lack there of is so hard to prove in court, not because they are great guys who didn't do anything wrong. I hope they get everything that is coming to them, truly turns my stomach and reflects horribly on hockey culture.
    That's why I said innocent in court, not innocent. I think they are guilty but if found innocent, what does that do for their career, or heck even damages for wrecking their careers. Again, I am not saying this is right but as other's have pointed out the justice system doesn't always get it right. Heck OJ Simpson got off with murder.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Titan

Technically in court you're found Guilty or Not Guilty. You're not found innocent. Not Guilty means the prosecution has not done it's job at proving guilt. Innocent would mean the defendant didn't commit the crime they are being accused of.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    He (Formenton) was also "underage" on night-in-question... so whether he was at Jack's - the location where victim met somebody - is unknown.
    Is this true? I honestly don't know but always thought he was the original guy who took her back to the hotel from the bar?
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Is this true? I honestly don't know but always thought he was the original guy who took her back to the hotel from the bar?
    He was 18yrs old, turning 19 that September.

However London bars are notorious for letting in underaged players. So I wouldn't worry so much about an 18yr old at the bar, it happens a lot.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    It'll be interesting to see where he fits in.
    The victim had consensual sex (per report) with a guy she met at Jack's (per report, linked). I think this guy is referred to as "John Doe 1"...
    And it reads as if the roommate of that player "John Doe 2" was the first to rape her.

I always assumed - based on Formenton being axed out of NHL - that Formenton was John Doe 2.

(And, I didn't state it by text... but many people thought it... somewhat... logically... that the roommate may have been his OTT teammate, Batherson. But - I realized, only recently, that there may have been some other method to which roommates were assigned. I'm not sure how the "two roommates" plays out - or whether that will come to light anytime soon. I'd guess... possibly not until the court dates. If teammates - say the OTT-two - were NOT the reason to pair roommates... then I speculate that maybe players were simply "assigned" by some other method... and my next - speculative - guess... is alphabetical by last name. So where Dube, Foote, Formenton, Hart, McLeod fit in... IDK... but there's some sort of "roommate link" that started this all down a really bad, bad path.)

Most everything I collected, from internet, on reporting of that night is here.
    The Athletic article (which has the most)... is behind paywall. But I've read it... it has the most amount of info.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

However London bars are notorious for letting in underaged players. So I wouldn't worry so much about an 18yr old at the bar, it happens a lot.
    no at all worried about the age thing...I just thought it was common knowledge that he was in fact not only at the bar but the player who took her back to the hotel.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I keep hearing conflicting reports regarding this. The 3 of the 8 that weren't or won't be charged were definitely CHL players but maybe weren't a part of that 2018 WJC team?
    Trying to find something concrete this article from the Star today explicitly says the 8 accused were from the 2018 Canadian world junior team.

https://www.thespec.com/thestar/hockey-canada-scandal-and-allegations-against-the-2018-world-junior-men-s-hockey-team-here/article_31e8360f-1b6f-54a5-b550-a4d41cecf1ac.html

Attention was first drawn to Hockey Canada following a $3.55-million lawsuit filed in 2022 by a woman who alleged eight players from the 2018 Canadian world junior team had sexually assaulted her.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

All you need to know about Jacks specifically is if you played for the London Knights you can do whatever you want there and if you're anyone (not just hockey players) who can procure even the weakest excuse for a fake ID you want have any trouble getting into the bar.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Likely, yeah.
    It is a bit interesting that one article says that one player got "turned away" at the bar.
    (This would have to be either Formenton or Robert Thomas - those were the only two that were age 18 on night-in-question. Both... were London Knights!)
    The articles suggest that the players started the night drinking at a place called "Joe Kool's" - which, apparently, is a key London Knights bar.

Some text that I copied from that article a while back:

It was at one of those bars, Jack’s, which calls itself “London’s premier party destination,” where a player and a young woman would connect. After leaving the bar, they would end up back in a room at the Hotel London Armouries, where she says eight players sexually assaulted her.

The gala concluded around 10 p.m. Many staff members retired early, exhausted from a long day. Some women’s hockey players went back to the hotel bar at the London Armouries to catch up over drinks. Some Hockey Canada and London Knights staff members and other gala attendees broke off to go to Joe Kool’s, a well-known hockey pub on Richmond Street where Knights team photos and NHL memorabilia cover the walls. Some members of the World Juniors team were there as well, gathered in a back room. One person at Joe Kool’s watched as several players in the back room became increasingly inebriated.

Several players left Joe Kool’s, walking down Richmond Street and arriving at Jack’s, a multi-level establishment with security out front, a patio and smoking pen out back and a throbbing mob of college students and young locals inside. Even in June — when many students are away and it’s the offseason for the CHL — Jack’s signature Dollar Beer Mondays draws a crowd.

That evening in 2018, the players that were let in — at least one was turned away for being too young to drink, according to multiple people who saw the player return to Joe Kool’s — would’ve immediately been met with a sweaty crush of bodies and the smell of sour beer and cheap lip gloss.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd imagine that player didn't play for the Knights and probably didn't have a fake.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah... possible.
    Though, if you have an 18 year old "player"... that is not Formenton or Thomas... it means that non-WJC, non-London Knight players were hanging out with the WJC players at Joe Kool's.
    That starts to really narrow down the list.
    Maybe a London-kid... not a Knight... that knows somebody of the WJC group.

So... then, yeah... there's other hockey players involved here.

And there may very well be other persons arrested.
    We may only be hearing what the NHL (& teams) have to represent.

Does anybody familiar with the police-system know if arrests are public record?
    Would there be a way to get names recently at the London location?

Indeed... 8.
    Somehow.
    Here is a tweet from one woman who is tracking it pretty well:
    https://twitter.com/mikazibanejads/s...17295287239163
    "most of the team had knowledge of it bc there was a gc".

What is a "gc"?
    Is that Group Chat?

Jeez... how damning is that to send a (recorded) text to a bunch of people to come and... ugh... just ugh.

Dobber Sports Titan

Under the Privacy Act of Canada you can request a copy of arrest records through RCMP or local police. You can look up accused names in court cases online. You can even call a courthouse clerk and ask them to search names on their computer system.

It's not a hidden thing. However, the media outlets tend to not publish peoples names. Like my local paper will just say "44yr old male was arrested for...." where as the Hamilton Police Media Releases will say "Jim Smith, 44yr old male, was arrested for....".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Figured I'd re-upload the team photo from that night... with some players X-ed out.
    (I'm always looking for links to understand what "bonds" are made - and why... and "can you see them?"... can you "sense" them?... from photographs, stories, etc.)

Screenshot 2024-01-31 130147.png

In the background left of the photo is a sign that says "Assumption of Risk". Boy...
    In the background right of the photo is a parking lot with a building beyond.

Locations of events:

Screenshot 2024-01-31 131533.png

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    That's why I said innocent in court, not innocent. I think they are guilty but if found innocent, what does that do for their career, or heck even damages for wrecking their careers. Again, I am not saying this is right but as other's have pointed out the justice system doesn't always get it right. Heck OJ Simpson got off with murder.
    It's not "found innocent" in court, though. It's found "Not Guilty". I understand that there are those out there who will argue that it's the same thing. It's not, though. There is a big difference between being found "not guilty", and being "innocent".

Rylant