Thread: Jarry/Markstrom/Skinner - Time to Panic ?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Jarry/Markstrom/Skinner - Time to Panic ?

Jarry, Markstrom, and Skinner were big targets for me this draft season. They were they part of the cohort that was drafted after the elite guys.

While Markstrom has been playing well in terms of saves above expected, Jarry has not. Oilers have produced strong defensive numbers under the hood at 5 on 5, but Skinner has also struggled despite this.

Do I need to be concerned at this point ? I trust the Penguins and Flames to be at least middle of the pack teams, but man it has been rough so far...

Is the night darkest just before the dawn ? Or is my season already over before Thanksgiving

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Jarry/Markstrom/Skinner - Time to Panic ?

I feel your pain - tough when all 3 are having challenges. Of the 3 I have the most confidence in Jarry and Skinner. I was worried Campbell would steal the starting gig - but he looks like he did in his last year in Toronto and see Skinner as the G they will rely on. I have little confidence in Calgary (and appears management also does not have confidence with recent news on contracts), so I am less confident on his outlook.

I would be patient with Skinner and Jarry, and possibly move Markstrom if he go's on a run.

It would help to get more information (league and roster size, counting stats and list of Goalies available in FA).
    Scooter
    -------------------------------------------------
    C - Hughes (C/LW), Mackinnon (C), Ek (C),
    LW - Stutzle (LW), Raymond (LW/RW), Joshua (C/LW)
    RW - Rantanen (RW), Giouroux (C/RW). Bjorkstrand (RW), Mantha (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Makar, Seider, L Hughes, Matheson, Faber
    G - Saros, Levi, Luukkonen
    IR -
    -------------------------------------------------
    12 team league - 19 on Roster (+4 IR)
    8 keepers, 5 bench, Weekly H2H league,
    11 cat's G,A,PPP,+/-,SOG,PIM,GWG,Hits & W,SV%,GAA
    2 Start at C, LW,RW and G and 4 D.
    55 Moves Regular Season (re-set to 8 for Play-Offs)
    Daily Line-Up Changes[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I just know Markstrom has been playing well under the hood, and the Flames, even with them being bad, can still string together a half decent, similar to the Preds or Islanders.

Jarry and Skinner were both solid last year too, so I'm hoping they just hate the month of October

My league is 12 team Roto, so goalies are at a premium

Dobber Sports Superstar

those three to start as BIG TARGETS was fatal logic as none have track records to invest immense hope in. I say that as a Jarry owner. Markstrom more or less had a career season at age 32 and reverted back to what he's been the rest of his career, an average tender.

Jarry will be hung out to dry by his defense routinely. Word of advice, for whatever reason when he plays elite teams like COL a few days back, he seems to rise up and put on his best effort. When he plays mediocre teams he soils himself. I believe in his ability as he had a one month dominant run last year prior to the injuries starting. As stated above gotta be patient and hope he establishes more consistency over time.

Skinner is inconsistent. Problem for the rest of time with Edmonton is the lack of depth behind the elite core price tag that prevents them bringing in quality depth. Those players don't protect the house so like Pittsburgh he'll get hung out to dry. Campbell is garbage though so Stuart will see his fair share of starts regardless of performance.

You're in a twelve team so you'll have to ride with what you got. If one gets hot try to package with a F or D to potentially upgrade.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    those three to start as BIG TARGETS was fatal logic as none have track records to invest immense hope in. I say that as a Jarry owner. Markstrom more or less had a career season at age 32 and reverted back to what he's been the rest of his career, an average tender.

Jarry will be hung out to dry by his defense routinely. Word of advice, for whatever reason when he plays elite teams like COL a few days back, he seems to rise up and put on his best effort. When he plays mediocre teams he soils himself. I believe in his ability as he had a one month dominant run last year prior to the injuries starting. As stated above gotta be patient and hope he establishes more consistency over time.

Skinner is inconsistent. Problem for the rest of time with Edmonton is the lack of depth behind the elite core price tag that prevents them bringing in quality depth. Those players don't protect the house so like Pittsburgh he'll get hung out to dry. Campbell is garbage though so Stuart will see his fair share of starts regardless of performance.

You're in a twelve team so you'll have to ride with what you got. If one gets hot try to package with a F or D to potentially upgrade.
    I mean Jarry is a career 2.65 and .913 while Markstrom is at 2.72 .909, so at the very least I was investing in average if not above average goalies based on their teams. Plus Markstrom was going past pick 100 in most of my leagues, pretty automatic choice if you didn't want to pay a first or second round pick for a goalie

Skinner was a wildcard for sure, but he had a decent year last year ratios wise and won 29 games.

But I see what you're saying, despite both Pittsburgh and Calgary also having solid Corsi #'s, so I'm hoping positive regression is coming

Also, according to JFresh's Goals saved above expected model, Markstrom is 7th overall with +6.3

I guess I was more looking at the team context, and wondering if Pens/Flames fans think they've been getting unlucky