Thread: With this scoring system, how long can I afford to wait on a couple goaltenders?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default With this scoring system, how long can I afford to wait on a couple goaltenders?

12 Team points only, weekly lineup set

Start 5 F, 3 D and 2 G, 6 bench

Goalies 5 pts per Win, 5 per shutout, 3 per assist, -1 per GA and 0.25 per save

In case you need this
    Skaters 5 pts per goal, 5 assist, 1 PPP, 0.25 hit, 0.50 SOG, 1 +/-

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: With this scoring system, how long can I afford to wait on a couple goaltenders?

Who are the goaltenders lol

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: With this scoring system, how long can I afford to wait on a couple goaltenders?

If you're drafting from scratch, then you probably can't wait too long as there are some goalies that would be of immense value relative to skaters and other goalies.

30+ wins averaging 25 saves per game is on par with an elite skater. So I'd probably be drafting a Tier 0 or 1 goalie somewhere in the first three rounds (Sorokin, Shesterkin, Helly, Saros, Georgiev, Oettinger)
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Administrator

In this setup there appears to be a big edge towards the few workhorses on good teams, but even the best goalies are going to woefully underproduce relative to the top skaters.

Some quick math:

A 60 start/40 win goalie with a roughly average save percentage say 29 saves on 32 shots a night, and 3 shutouts will net you 470 Fantasy Points. There might be 5 goalies who have a season that good.

An 80 point skater with 25 PPP, 60 hits, 200 SOG and a neutral plus/minus will net you 540 Fantasy Points. There will be WAY more skaters who have seasons like that or far better seasons.

The good workhorse goalies will be scarce and provide an advantage but they'll not come close to the top skaters. I'd try to hold off on goaltenders as long as possible.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sophomore

This is my first ever fantasy draft lol.

My buddy is a big fantasy guy, he said take a guy like Jarry as your 1 and maybe a Kuemper or Skinner as your 2 but I have no clue tbh

May let the draft come to me. If it is round 4 and one of the top 6 is there grab one but if not wait a couple rounds

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    May let the draft come to me. If it is round 4 and one of the top 6 is there grab one but if not wait a couple rounds
    That makes solid sense. By R4 most of the 80+ forwards and 60+ defensemen should be off the board. If there's a workhorse starter from a good team available maybe make the plunge. Otherwise, I would push it off and just try to cobble things together with tandem goalies.

Dobber Sports Wizard

go to list of players and see what project points are..but this appears to be really heavy towards skaters....point = a win for a goalie? yeah i just did very quick math and it looks like top goalies may get you 200-250 points and 80 point forward will get you about 500 points.

Also, this is not points only league, its point scoring system for multicat set up if i read this right...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Sophomore

My bad I am new to this. Yeah, just says "points"

I entered the league settings into RotoWire for custom rankings and it shows the top goalies ranked from 11-20 overall. Is that right?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    In this setup there appears to be a big edge towards the few workhorses on good teams, but even the best goalies are going to woefully underproduce relative to the top skaters.

Some quick math:

A 60 start/40 win goalie with a roughly average save percentage say 29 saves on 32 shots a night, and 3 shutouts will net you 470 Fantasy Points. There might be 5 goalies who have a season that good.

An 80 point skater with 25 PPP, 60 hits, 200 SOG and a neutral plus/minus will net you 540 Fantasy Points. There will be WAY more skaters who have seasons like that or far better seasons.

The good workhorse goalies will be scarce and provide an advantage but they'll not come close to the top skaters. I'd try to hold off on goaltenders as long as possible.

made a HUGE mistake in my posting

Here is correct scoring

Skaters 4 pts per goal, 3 per assist, 1 PPP, 0.25 hit, 0.50 SOG, 1 +/-

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    made a HUGE mistake in my posting

Here is correct scoring

Skaters 4 pts per goal, 3 per assist, 1 PPP, 0.25 hit, 0.50 SOG, 1 +/-
    its still point based multiact scoring system.

i still think skaters are way more valuable, if someone is 40g/40a thats 160 + 120 = 280 points plus all the hits SoGs lets say on average 150 points = 430 total ..i still think that adds up to way more than top goalies. Lets say goalie wins 40 which not many will...thats 200 points+ lets say 25 for SO and lets say 100 for svs vs GA...thast 340 points.

im just doing this from top of my head but i still think goalies are not valuable enough in your league...u can grab one when goalie run happens but i would not step out and be first to grab a goalie..

Administrator

With this scoring: a 30 goal/50 point/25 PPP/60 hit/200 SOG forward nets you 410 Fantasy Points. So you could push for an elite goalie sooner. Otherwise I'm still waiting.

Dobber Sports Wizard

With this scoring: a 30 goal/50 point/25 PPP/60 hit/200 SOG forward nets you 410 Fantasy Points. So you could push for an elite goalie sooner. Otherwise I'm still waiting.
    i got 320 based on your 30 G 20 A...also these guys are unlikely to get 25 PPP

G = 120
    A = 60
    PPP = 25
    SOG = 100
    Hits = 15

Total = 320

But still i dont think any goalies in the league will get that...i think its waste of assets getting any goalie until late rounds.

Also 30G 50A F is 410..im assuming thats what you mean?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post

G = 120
    A = 60
    PPP = 25
    SOG = 100
    Hits = 15

Total = 320

But still i dont think any goalies in the league will get that...i think its waste of assets getting any goalie until late rounds.

Coll TY, doing my draft cheat sheet now so I am prepared Monday. God gonna be rough. I need 3-4 sleepers or bounce backs to round things out I think lol

Would you think at pick 4, taking Robertson is nuts? Love that dude! I have seen him ranked as high as 5 in a few spots

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post

G = 120
    A = 60
    PPP = 25
    SOG = 100
    Hits = 15

Total = 320

Yes, sorry. 30 goal 50 A. Point was to demonstrate an average 80-point forward.

The few elite goaltenders will outperform 410 FP. But the 90+ forwards will outperform them. So once those are off the board you could go for the scarce workhorse goalies on elite teams but that assumes there are any left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yes, sorry. 30 goal 50 A. Point was to demonstrate an average 80-point forward.

The few elite goaltenders will outperform 410 FP. But the 90+ forwards will outperform them. So once those are off the board you could go for the scarce workhorse goalies on elite teams but that assumes there are any left.
    just did math for Sorokin last year and i added 5 wins to his total to match highest win total ....total score was 492.25...so yeah if you pick top 5 G they can go in round 3-5 i guess

beyond that i would not target any goalie till late....