Thread: Who to release: Tarasov Holtz or Rossi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Who to release: Tarasov Holtz or Rossi

G A +- PPP SOG HIT BLK
    W GAA SV% SHO
    Keep 8 - H2H Weekly
    12F 6D 2G

We have a 5 player farm team that can be kept until the player surpass the following GP per position:

Forwards: 175
    Defensemen: 225
    Goaltenders: 150

I have Stuart Skinner as a lock and with such a deep draft pool this year I want to free up additional slots. The goal is to identify prospects that will pop early in their NHL career to take advantage of the free keeper. IE if Holtz is a 30 point player by the time he surpass his 175 GP threshold and then tears it up the following year with an 80 pts season this is pretty worthless to me as I wouldn't have used a keeper slot on him. Recent busts include guys like Lafreniere and Kakko as their owner will not use a keeper slot on them. Goalies in particular have a nice edge as you can often hold the player on the farm for a very long time. Targeting players on Russian contracts is generally an advantage as they come into the NHL seasoned, ex Kaprizov was a steal.

It's possible all of my farm guys are droppable. Any chance we see a 70 point season from Holtz on that deep jersey team? Rossi i'm a little more optimistic about. Anyone have a hunch on Tarasov. (There's several good prospect goalies available such as Woll, Schmid, Wolf, Hofer, Levi etc)

Outside of Michkov anyone have other prospect suggestions to monitor in this setup?

Administrator

Default Re: Who to release: Tarasov Holtz or Rossi

All of these guys have some long term and short term upside.

Holtz has the pre-season hype skating on a 2nd line with Meier and Hischier plus getting PP time.

Rossi should have a lane to be Minnesota's 1C, but they need someone on their PP to play netfront and win faceoffs and Rossi isn't going to be that guy. He's not bumping Zuccarello, Kaprizov or Boldy yet. I'm highest on him long term, but I don't see the path to short term production.

Tarasov has probably the most wide range of outcomes. If Columbus is decent but Merzlikins is bad then Tarasov could explode. Goalies with a chance to play make a ton of sense in your pool. He wouldn't be my first bet (Levi, Schmid, Woll, Wolf, even Hofer) but he is a decent bet.

You could make a case for keeping or dropping any of these guys. What I'm loathe of is hopping on the prospect treadmill so I'm not dropping these guys to pick up a 2023 draft pick unless it's Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, or Carlsson.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think you want to keep Holtz and Rossi.

I understand the added benefit of a Russian coming over more advanced...
    but then you are clogging up 1 farm keepers spot for 5 years.

I would prefer to wait and try to time Tarasov as a farm keeper a year or two before he comes over.

Holtz and Rossi both have big potential.
    So I am keeping them and hope they get to 80 points before they hit the games threshold.

And when one of these two graduate on your roster,
    Then you add Tarasov to replace them as one of your 5 farm keepers.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    All of these guys have some long term and short term upside.

Holtz has the pre-season hype skating on a 2nd line with Meier and Hischier plus getting PP time.

Rossi should have a lane to be Minnesota's 1C, but they need someone on their PP to play netfront and win faceoffs and Rossi isn't going to be that guy. He's not bumping Zuccarello, Kaprizov or Boldy yet. I'm highest on him long term, but I don't see the path to short term production.

Tarasov has probably the most wide range of outcomes. If Columbus is decent but Merzlikins is bad then Tarasov could explode. Goalies with a chance to play make a ton of sense in your pool. He wouldn't be my first bet (Levi, Schmid, Woll, Wolf, even Hofer) but he is a decent bet.

You could make a case for keeping or dropping any of these guys. What I'm loathe of is hopping on the prospect treadmill so I'm not dropping these guys to pick up a 2023 draft pick unless it's Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, or Carlsson.
    Benson has look very good in Buffalo as well...i would probably want him over Tarasov but you are right...Tarasov could be useless this year or he also could be best of the bunch by quite a margin...its wide open in CBJ
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

The Great One

I wouldn't be too optimistic about Rossi. Zucc likely signs to stay and no way Minny has two pip squeaks on the top line to leave KK vulnerable. It's no coincidence that they keep turning back to Kartman, who is a rough and tumble guy.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I think you want to keep Holtz and Rossi.

I understand the added benefit of a Russian coming over more advanced...
    but then you are clogging up 1 farm keepers spot for 5 years.

I would prefer to wait and try to time Tarasov as a farm keeper a year or two before he comes over.
    ???

Tarasov played over a dozen games in net for Columbus last year. He's been over for years.

Personally, if I'm dropping one, it's Rossi. Tarasov should be the backup in Columbus this year. Aaron Dell is on a PTO there, and he's not a NHL goalie.

Also, goalies are much more likely to be known quantities, plus you said that goalies have a nice edge. If you can freely move players up & down into the active roster, yet not use a keeper spot on them, I'd definitely go this route.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Who are your goalies on your roster? If solid id let Tarasov go and grab a Levi, Wolf, Hofer etc. I like their upside more. You could afford to wait on them if you have solid netminders on your big squad.