Thread: Who to draft as 4th Goalie

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Who to draft as 4th Goalie

Hello Everyone,

My draft is tomorrow evening and was looking for your opinions on who you would rank/go after. I am in a keeper, H2H salary cap league with 14 teams. We can have 27 man rosters with a max of 4 goalies. Goalies hold a lot of weight in the league and go fast. League categories are G, A, +/-, ESP, HITS, Wins, Sv%, GAA. One caveat, if a player becomes an NHL UFA, they are thrown back into the draft (like Frederik Andersen is in this draft since he didnt sign until he hit Free Agency).

I currently have Oettinger, Demko and Swayman. I feel good about those three, but would like to shore it up. We start 2 goalies a week.

My thinking is, if there is a solid #1, I need to take them. If not, I would like a solid prospect that will play "soon". How would you rank the following:

Jarry
    F. Andersen
    Korpisalo
    Schmid
    Woll
    Wolf
    Hofer
    Levi
    Dostal
    Forsberg
    Daccord
    Wallstedt

I pick 7th overall, so guessing the bigger names will be gone, but interested to read your thoughts.
    Thanks!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Who to draft as 4th Goalie

Have you ran the goalies with the Same Night Tool and seen which one would get you the most opportunities for starts.

Jarry is the one that sticks out to me as the option to pick based on talent, starting gig and team wins.
    But if Pittsburgh has a schedule where they play the same night as Dallas, Vancouver and Boston for 90% of the nights then you will likely never start Jarry.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Have you ran the goalies with the Same Night Tool and seen which one would get you the most opportunities for starts.

Jarry is the one that sticks out to me as the option to pick based on talent, starting gig and team wins.
    But if Pittsburgh has a schedule where they play the same night as Dallas, Vancouver and Boston for 90% of the nights then you will likely never start Jarry.
    In a weekly starts league this is less a concern. It's more the overlap of what weeks do each team have light vs. heavy schedules. And individual matchups each week will play a large role in start vs. sit.

More than anything I suspect you want options for if your goalies struggle (looking at you Demko) or are hurt or whatever. And with only the Wins category being a volume category I'd be looking for efficiency of starts.

I'd rank 'em:

Andersen - He's a tandem guy but you know you are getting a high efficiency goalie on a winning team. Good cap value.
    Jarry - a number one on a good team is still a great option. Expensive for a cap setup though.
    Schmid - don't know who will win out in New Jersey but could be another Swayman or even better here.
    Levi - If I miss out on the above I'm swinging on Levi. Could be a #1 on an up-and-comer at a great cap number.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

You don't need a tier 1 or even tier 2 guy, I'd say. My focus would be on Hofer, as sooner or later St. Louis will run out of patience with Binnington, or Woll, since Samsonov has yet to even play 45 games in a single season.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was thinking along these lines. If Jarry or Andersen are there at pick #7, I will take one as their trade value alone might be worth it. Korpisalo.. im not sure i want to take that risk. Sure its just a #4 goalie, and I like Ottawa, but not sure if he can do the job.

Odds are, those three might be gone so it then comes down to, what cheap goalie can I take that has a great chance of being sneaky good. I like Woll, Hofer, Schmid and Levi as options here but all carry some risk. Maybe I am asking how you would rank those four. I do worry about Demko...

Thank you again for your time!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Thinking about this more... in a 14 team league... you have three starters... you are well ahead of the game there.

Are you set on taking a 4th goalie over a forward or D?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Thinking about this more... in a 14 team league... you have three starters... you are well ahead of the game there.

Are you set on taking a 4th goalie over a forward or D?
    I hear what you are saying. The players in this years draft are poor as they are the new rookies and players that became UFA's this past summer, and that crop was pretty bad. Most signed one year deals so they might be rentals in my league. I know Bedard will go #1, but then its players like Bertuzzi, Tarasenko, Bunting. I think goalie has the most value to take that early and maybe I can move them for a better player after the draft.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by happypg View Post
    I was thinking along these lines. If Jarry or Andersen are there at pick #7, I will take one as their trade value alone might be worth it. Korpisalo.. im not sure i want to take that risk. Sure its just a #4 goalie, and I like Ottawa, but not sure if he can do the job.

Odds are, those three might be gone so it then comes down to, what cheap goalie can I take that has a great chance of being sneaky good. I like Woll, Hofer, Schmid and Levi as options here but all carry some risk. Maybe I am asking how you would rank those four. I do worry about Demko...

Thank you again for your time!
    From that group of four for just this year I'd rank:

Schmid
    Woll
    Levi
    Hofer

But I'd bump Levi up because of the chance he becomes a keeper for you if he indeed emerges as a regular for Buffalo.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports All-Star

Go with either Jarry or Andersen for sure. If you want to give a bit to a retool then I’d go with Levi. You have a good top 3 so you can afford to gamble a bit. Good luck.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Honestly, I'd hope at 7 that people go goalie early, and leave you with a choice of most of the top guys from the draft and other useful non-goalies.

I wouldn't take a goalie other than Jarry, Andersen, or Korpisalo at 7, and I'd be holding my nose taking Korpisalo, but using him for the trade value - I'd rather trade the pick at the table to move down or get a player than actually get stuck if he craps the bed.

After that I see lot of guys who are useful in a daily starts league, but not much in a weekly, so I'd let them thing out until round 2 or 3.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

I would pass on the goalies and draft Connor Brown.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks again for everyone's help. I thought I would pass along what happened with my draft.

When my pick came up, all the prospects i wanted were not there, but Freddy Andersen was so i took him (jarry went the pick before me). In round two i took a chance and drafted Woll. I had 5 goalies then and most we can have is 4 (once the season starts), so i shopped Demko who seems to be hot (Andersen is not), and was able to flip him for Dylan Larkin.

At the end, my four goalies are Oettinger, Andersen, Swayman and Woll and added Larkin to the forward group.

Thanks again and best of luck to everyone!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Seem like that worked out pretty well for you. You ended up gaining a very solid forward with no wait time.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.