James Conner - For a 6th round pick

PPR Superflex, 3 keepers

Also keeping:
    NUK - For a 10th round pick
    Aiyuk - For a 9th round pick

any thoughts?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Keeper help! Jamaal Williams vs. James Conner 2023

Welcome to the forums. This is primarily a hockey based forum but there are football fanatics here too so dont be surprised if you don't get a lot of replies.

For me, both are good value at that position but RB is going to be a spot where you can find good viable options in the mid to later rounds. I'd take Williams if it's costing you a 14th round pick. That's really good value for him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Hmm....As much as I have little faith in the Cards, Conner can catch, and the team will be down a lot so he should be getting quite a bit of dump offs.

And as much as I like keeping guys late in these formats...Williams won't be close to replicating what he did with the Lions...

Conner is drafted 60-70th overall (6th round for 10 team, 5th round for 12 team)
    Williams is drafted 90-100th overall (9th round for 10 team, 8th round for 12team)

Williams costs a 14th round pick, drafted typically in the 8-9th round = 5-6round benefit
    Conner costs a 6th round pick, drafted typically in the 5-6th round = 0-1 round benefit

Williams is the smarter play based off what it costs to what it should cost. But I have little faith he'll replicate what he did last yr as he was heavily dependent on TDs. But I'll likely keep him, and use my 6th round pick on something better than Conner.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Conner (if healthy) should be getting a ton of touches. BUT I agree with others that the value isn't there. So, keep Williams and draft someone who hopefully can outperform that 6th spot. Good luck.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Welcome to the forums!

I don't have much to add as the above posts have nailed it in my opinion.

The value of only giving up your 14th round pick for Williams gives you much more flexibility than giving up your 6th round pick on Conner.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Adding to the chorus, given the signifiant round difference Williams is the guy to keep. No, he won't repeat his TD total from last season. But he should get fairly regular work, should be the primary goal line guy in New Orleans and I think is a good bet to be in the 8-10 TD range, with room for more. In the 14th round, that's outstanding. You can then use your Round 6 pick on any value that happens to be there (including, for example, a high-end weekly starter TE or top 6-7 QB play if desired). You'll have a lot of flexibility for building your roster with Williams in the 14th.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Star

Williams is the pick due to round difference. Williams presents as a lottery ticket. His attitude and work ethic endears him to coaches and teammates and he should be rewarded with some goal line work. As a 14th rounder, then he fulfills the category of guy you start on a bye week who you hope chips in with a TD.

Conner at 6 is fair market value, more or less. 28 years old, so he's on the wrong side of the RB aging curve. You take Conner with a 6th rounder, you need best case scenario for him to meet his draft value. Conner is not going to surge or surprise given his age and the surrounding cast isn't markedly better than what he had last year. Conner in the 6th is what people settle for, believing he's the safe but unspectacular choice, when in reality, he's a significant danger to underperform draft slot.