Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ohtani Trade Watch

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Ohtani Trade Watch

Does Ohtani get traded?

If so where too?

One article has the Braves in the top options for him to be traded too...
    and now I am excited and want to know what everyone else has seen or heard, or just simply wishes!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Ohtani Trade Watch

He doesn't get moved, LAA qualify him and get the draft pick compensation in the offseason.

Trade deadline is August 1st, this deal would likely happen before then. The Angels next 3 series before the deadline...Pirates, Tigers, Jays....They're gonna end up taking 6 of 9 bringing their record to 55-51, jumping the Yankees as they go 3-5 during the same stretch for a record of 53-52.

Angels don't move him and just miss the playoffs.

If he's traded, the team that has pieces for it....Orioles. However it's going to cost more than what SDP gave up for 2.5yrs of Soto, which is crazy to think to give up for 0.5yr of Ohtani who messes with your lineup so much. And...he'll get like 8-12 games pitching, but he also has a blister issue...and how much will he push through that as it tends to mess up throwing mechanics. Whoever is going to get him will give up A LOT, gain little in the regular season, and could get someone who doesn't throw much. Especially the new issues you introduce to your manager to deal with. Like this is a massive unicorn, I can't see every manager doing well with such an intense tool.

However...what you do get...man. If you get to the playoffs, and your manager is SMART, huge X-factor.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Honestly basically anyone can use him now with the (grumble) universal DH. If the blister is bad, you can just play him every day in the field or at DH and bring him in for spot relief as needed and as he is able.

I'd like to see him on the Phillies or Jays, as that's who I root for. I would hate to see him on the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Astros, or Braves and probably not the Mets.

I think this is more an offseason deal, though.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Rays as a rental, Dodgers sign him nine years, $675 million in free agency.

Dobber Sports Deity

The time to trade him was last year at the trade deadline when teams would have control of him for a year and a half. Now teams are going to be leery to give up huge assets for a guy who may walk in three months. Are teams willing to open the bank for that? I'd say yes, because they want to win a World Series, but I do think the return could have been more if the Angels had ripped the band-aid last summer, much like the Soto trade.

If he does get traded, my bet is on the Rays. I dont think he gets traded either, although I think they are crazy if they don't.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

For all we know, the GM was told "You are the GM for as long as Ohtani is hear". If you can't keep Ohtani, there's no reason why you should be expected to put a winning team on the field consistently. So if he trades Ohtani, he's only helping the next GM. If he keeps Ohtani, he could get into the playoffs, and who knows what can happen then.

If LAA take the final Wild Card spot, they play the AL Central winner likely, which is going to be Minny or Cleveland. They can easily win that series. Then they face Texas or the ALEast winner. But I can truly see why the GM wouldn't trade Ohtani, especially with their schedule the next 2 weeks.

I have the mindset of "the goal should be to win, not to sneak in and see what happens", so I would have traded Ohtani last yr. But I can understand why the GM wouldn't move him this yr.

What a huge deal this would be for any team that is acquiring this stud of a player. But what a huge risk it would be to give up so much for one playoff run. As much as I would love the Blue Jays to do it, I also don’t want them giving up their future for a player who may only be there for a couple months!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    What a huge deal this would be for any team that is acquiring this stud of a player. But what a huge risk it would be to give up so much for one playoff run. As much as I would love the Blue Jays to do it, I also don’t want them giving up their future for a player who may only be there for a couple months!!
    With the LAA payroll too, I would think they want young MLB guys. So a trade for Ohtani is probably:
    Manoah, Biggio, Teidemann, Zulueta, and probably Martinez.

Which makes no sense for anyone. Jays have a weak prospect pool now, the main pieces of the trade either suck right now (Manoah), or hasn't thrown a ball since May (Teidemann). And other teams can offer a more stable package. Jays don't have the pieces. I think in the offseason the Jays could have made a package for Ohtani that centered around Bichette, but that's off the table now likely.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I dont think the Jays have the depth or quality of prospects to give compared to a few other teams.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Ohtani is off the market, especially after the Giolito acquisition. And that's likely not he last move they do.

Dobber Sports Deity

I wont lie, I am surprised the Angels are pushing in their chips and trading away two of their top three prospects. This is not a contending team, but management is doing all it can to retain Ohtani after this season by showing him they are trying to win. They have been trying to win for a few years now and it hasn't worked out. Whatever, not my zoo, but this trade for a couple of rentals is not smart management.

Dobber Sports Titan

With 2 games today, and their use of Ohtani today and not tmo vs the Jays makes me think they want to go into the Jays series with a record of 54-49 (0.524). They wouldn't move up the standings, but they would be 3 games back of the Jays.

Again, no idea why they are making Ohtani pitch today.
    Friday July 21st - Ohtani
    Saturday July 22nd - Detmers
    Sunday July 23rd - Anderson
    Monday July 24th - OFF DAY
    Tuesday July 25th - Canning
    Wednesday July 26th - RAIN DAY
    Thursday July 27th - Ohtani/Sandoval
    Friday July 28th - Silseth
    Saturday July 29th - Detmers
    Sunday July 30th - Anderson

I would have spot started Silseth today instead of Ohtani, and had Ohtani play tmo vs the Jays. Unless Giolito is going to come in and pitch one of the games. He last pitched July 23rd. Would set him up to pitch tmo vs the Jays on his normal rotation.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I wanted Giolito for the Dodgers sigh

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    I wanted Giolito for the Dodgers sigh
    Ya imagine being Giolito. He goes from a non-playoff team to a fringe playoff team lol. He was probably just hoping for a move to a legit contender

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Ya imagine being Giolito. He goes from a non-playoff team to a fringe playoff team lol. He was probably just hoping for a move to a legit contender
    Yup, he would have loved to been traded to a team for sure making the playoffs.

Does the Giolito trade force Toronto to make a big move now too?

I would imagine that both Boston and New York make moves soon....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​