Thread: Thompson vs Wolf vs Schmid

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Thompson vs Wolf vs Schmid

Looking to take a goalie with the next pick in our forever keeper league. Weekly lineups with salary cap. Curious which of these three goalies the community likes the most longterm? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am leaning towards Wolf. No clear path to immediate NHL time but he has been very dominant in the AHL. Thompson would have been my choice six months ago especially with his contract but worried about gp now that Hill got so much money. Will he take the reigns in the next 2-3 years or just a solid backup?

Thanks in advance for anyone who shares their ranking/thoughts!

Red

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Thompson vs Wolf vs Schmid

This is a tough one. The immediate results pick might be Thompson. I can see him outduelling Hill despite the latter getting a payday. Schmid is currently slated to be on the Devils roster but I can see him going down to start in the AHL and develop more if the team brings in another veteran goalie. Wolf may only play a few games in the NHL this year if Calgary does not trade Vladar as they are rumoured to be considering, but he might have the most upside of the three. It depends how much risk you are willing to take, whether you want to get payoff now or just down the road, but it's definitely not an easy decision today with so much up in the air. But since your focus seems to be the longer term I might go with Wolf.

Dobber Sports Icon

Do you want production starting this season or the season after?

Thompson will get the most starts this session. Then Schmid then Wolf. Wolf of the best goalie by a long shot but he could be another year from getting 30 starts in a season. He will be the best goalie of this list almost certainly.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Thompson will probably a time share with Hill.

Schmid, although he showed what he can do, still will be the backup for Vanacek. Shaky ground for VV but definitely NJ starter entering the season as it stands now. We will see if he finishes as the starter though.

Wolf, well I see him being full time maybe 2-3 years from now. Future starter for the Flames but you have to wait a bit.

But you are asking long term, so I go with Wolf, then Schmid then Thompson.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Deity

Long term, I'll say Wolf, then Thompson, then Schmid.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Short-term:
    Schmid
    Thompson
    Wolf

Long-term:
    Wolf
    Schmid
    Thompson

Thompson's not bad (for clarity)...
    But Wolf is going to be GREAT (I think) and Schmid is going to be GOOD.
    Thompson is OK. If it's not abundantly clear by now... VGK's defense is so strong (esp with their D + Stone), almost any goalie looks good there.