Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of blowing up my team

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Thinking of blowing up my team

32T Dynasty H2H Cats Bangers Salary Cap league

I inherited this NYR team part way through last season and I was hoping to start competing in the next 2-3 years but I don't know if I have the prospects to do that so I was thinking of selling my big assets (Mikko, Fiala and Jenner) to try and recoup and compete in the next 5 years. Ill add a picture of my roster.

Also had some trade requests for Mikko and some ideas to ask for and wondering if they would be good value for both parties

Trade 1
    To NYR: Logan Thompson, Jake Bean, 2024 1st, and 2025 1st (he also has Drysdale) To CBJ: Mikko Rantanen

Trade 2
    To NYR: Felix Gustavsson, Gustav Forsling, Brock Boesser, Owen Beck (he also has RPH and Owen Pickering) To SEA: Mikko Rantanen, Sean Kuraly

Trade 3
    To NYR: Carter Hart and Provorov To PHI: Mikko Rantanen

Trade 4:
    To NYR: A combination of some Martin Fehervey, Pyotr Kotchekov, Ridley Greig, Luke Evangelista, Axel Jhonnson Fjallby, Tyson Forester and Kovacevic To DAL: Mikko

Trade 5:
    To NYR: Linus Ullmark and Gabriel Villardi, To CAR: Mikko Rantanen

Trade Proposal 1
    To NYR: JJ Peterka, Moeritz Seider (or Rasmus Sandin), Kyle Okoposo (cap dump) To TOR: Mikko Rantanen, Sean Kuralyz

Trade Proposal 2
    Wyatt Johnston (or Kent Johnson) Pierre Oliver Josephy (or Lauzon, Ville Heinola) and Jeremy Swayman (or Alexander Giorgiev) To OTT: Mikko Rantanen

I could add picks to either side of any deal if it made it more fair
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Thinking of blowing up my team

I heavily dislike all of these. There isn't that key piece that you need in order to deal a guy like Rantanen. At minimum you need to be getting back a slight downgrade (Nylander/Guentzel type) to be going with the guys like Johnston/Thompson, or you need a piece like Fantilli that is insulated in the deal with Peterka, Kotchetkov, etc.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Agree.
    On a scale of 1-100, Mikko Rantanen is a low 90s player (if McDavid is the "100").
    You've got to, at very least, get an 80+ player back with a slim/low possibility to be BETTER than Rantanen.

That would be the makings of a fair trade.
    Slafkovsky or Cooley or the #2 or #3 or #4 pick this year or Byfield.
    Something like that. And you should get more pieces WITH that kind of player.

But I don't see an "80"ish player.
    And I certainly don't see somebody with "90"ish upside.

I'd even explain it to a trade partner as such.

The Great One

Don't trade a dollar bill for change, as even if the math works out the added players take up spots that, if you didn't make the trade, would be occupied by guys who at worst will be nickels.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

i dont like any of trades made to you...i dont really like trades you proposed but if i needed to choose anything from that list it would be Peterka and Seider for Rantanen...not enough but best of all imo. and no, dont change Seider for Sandin....they not even close to each other in value imo.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree that this deal is the best of the lot:

Trade Proposal 1
    To NYR: JJ Peterka, Moeritz Seider (or Rasmus Sandin), Kyle Okoposo (cap dump) To TOR: Mikko Rantanen, Sean Kuralyz

However, it's not quite enough. In a bangers league, I feel Seider is going to be a very good D, and I like Peterka. If you can get another piece there that's good there, I'd pursue that. You can make the offer of Peterka/Seider/cap dump = ?? for Rantanen and see if they bite, and see who the cap dump is. Sometimes people dump players in cap leagues that you feel shouldn't be dumps.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Hmm thanks guys what about if it were something along the lines of

Rant + Kuraly for JJ Peterka, Kyle Okoposo, Moritz Seider, 2025 first + 2024 2nd?

Administrator

That offer is still a hard no.

And I've got to say, I just think the approach is all wrong. It seems like you want to blow up your team, it's literally the title of your thread, but for what purpose?

You blow things up to acquire talent like Rantanen. You've already got him, so unless you are getting the pieces that can land you multiple Rantanen's it's a non-starter.

The biggest thing for me, is you need to have patience with this trade. None of these offers are close. They aren't laugh out of the room bad, but they aren't close. I want to be overwhelmed by the quality and quantity of the pieces coming back. These aren't there on either front. In 3 years, when Rantanen is still producing at a top-10 level, I don't want to see the Rantanen owner loading up with another awesome player because you left him with draft picks to play with. I want NBA style draft pick strip mining. If no one meets you there, well you've still got Rantanen and plenty of time to wait for someone to step up.

The other thing I notice is Kuraly being a throw-in on these deals. He's a nice piece in a banger cap league. I'd give him his own separate high price tag and see who is willing to ante up.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Rookie

My thoughts and correct me if I'm wrong is that my team doesn't have enough pieces to actually be a contender in the next 5 years. I'm missing so much like D ing general a goalie and trying to acquire those I would lose a lot of my futures. I might be ready to compete in 5 years with Oliver Moore and axel sandin pellika but will rant still be in his prime?

there also the problem that Rantanen wins me matchups which stops me from acquiring top tier talent in the drafts. so I know he's an amazing piece but he kinda freezes my team as I don't have the futures to make trades to win now and he stops me from losing to win later.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jfuss View Post
    My thoughts and correct me if I'm wrong is that my team doesn't have enough pieces to actually be a contender in the next 5 years. I'm missing so much like D ing general a goalie and trying to acquire those I would lose a lot of my futures. I might be ready to compete in 5 years with Oliver Moore and axel sandin pellika but will rant still be in his prime?

there also the problem that Rantanen wins me matchups which stops me from acquiring top tier talent in the drafts. so I know he's an amazing piece but he kinda freezes my team as I don't have the futures to make trades to win now and he stops me from losing to win later.
    And that is the exact thinking that gets teams in trouble. I've bolded the two key issues. Yes, Rantanen will still be a top-10-15 guy in five years. He's. 26 now, and he doesn't magically drop dead at 30. He might decline a touch, but that's him going from a top-eight player right now to a top-15 guy. Still unlikely that you draft a better guy in the next five years.

Now, I'm assuming there is a bit of a lottery system in your league, and not just reverse standings, because there probably should be (I digress). Anyways, even if there isn't, and your team is fairly bad, you will finish bottom-five, which is where the talent is that you will need. Regardless of holding Rantanen or not, the only picks he really has a fair impact on are your own, and even then owning him vs not might win you maybe an extra 2-3 matchups a season? The difference between finishing last or third-last, or maybe third-last down to fifth-last? Not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things (and if you can't draft well at 5th overall for a few years then having Rantanen or not probably won't make a difference anyways). The other picks you acquire are going to be in the exact same slot whether you own Rantanen or not, and that's how you fit in the Moores and the Sandin-Pellikkas around him as the two names you mentioned. If Moore and ASP are the core of your team, you're not getting out of the basement for another seven years at best.

Now, that segues well into the third issue, and that is you not being sure what contention window you're aiming for, saying "maybe I'll be ready in five years". When rebuilding/resetting/retooling, you need to have a direction, otherwise you're lost, people will push you over for pieces like Rantanen, and you'll be in the basement for perpetuity. Aim for a four-year turnaround, with Ranatanen as the core piece of your team at 30 as you start to contend again. The top picks from this year and next will be helping out, they will be still on their ELCs, and you have had some time in years 2-3 to lock in some longer-term-signees that are locked up at bargain prices that will really help you build your cap around them. In years 3&4 you're aiming mainly for prospects instead of picks, guys that are a little more NHL ready but haven't hit quite yet (this year it would be the Heinolas, the Evangelistas, the Schmids & Sogaards, etc). And by then you're back into contention.

Sell off guys like Kuraly and Okposo as their own assets. In a 32 team league there is someone that needs them, and with all that asset collection on the replaceable guys, you're not giving up the better pieces to fund your rebuild.

Good luck
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Ok awesome thanks guys you've given me a lot to think about. Patience is key in these deep dynasty leagues eh

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jfuss View Post

I did notice that acquiring a goaltender was a key component of many of those Rantanen packages. This is where you can really go awry. I get the inclination to "solve the problem" but it's one that is NEVER solved. Even an elite #1 like Hellebuyck or Vasilevskiy has up and down years. In a 32-team league acquiring goalies is going to be challenging and expensive, but there are still bargains to be had and potential solutions to be found on the cheap.

I'm not sure how large your prospect pool is, but you need to dedicate somewhere between 25-40% of your pool to taking flyers on goalies so that you are increasing your odds of hitting one of these random pop ups.

See what you can get to take on a bad goalie contract. Because you're only a year away from that becoming a good goalie contract. And hey, if the goalie flops then your team tanks even if you still have Rantanen putting up good stats.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If there is anyone on your roster you should be keeping it's Rantanen. I would try to package young assets to fill out your D, C and G.
    12 team dynasty, H2H points, no cap, no max games
    12F (4 slots per pos), 6D, 2G, 32 players + 21 minor slots, minors eligibility <80 GP
    G: 4 / A: 2 / / Blk, Hit, SOG: 0.5 / Goalie W: 3 / Shutout: 1 / STP: 1 / SV% >.92: 1 / SV: 0.25

C: Eichel, Trochek, Barzal, Suzuki,
    W: Draisaitl, Ehlers, Dubois, Buchnevich, Necas, Debrusk, McCann, Jarvis
    D: Hughes, Morissey, Chychrun, Bouchard, Pionk, Parayko, McNabb
    G: Ullmark, Hart, Grubauer, Korpisalo

Prospects:
    Knies, Reichel, Kemell, Robertson
    Sandstrom

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by snaxwell View Post
    If there is anyone on your roster you should be keeping it's Rantanen. I would try to package young assets to fill out your D, C and G.
    I don't think I would have the assets to acquire a good starting goalie, 3 decent D and another top C to even sniff a chance of competing. Some of the other teams are so much further ahead right now completely draining my future wouldn't give me the chance to win. But maybe trying to trade rant was the wrong move and I should trade my other aging guys and just wait it out and see if my prospects devlope

Administrator

Get better at drafting and making trades.

Even if you "blow up" your team, you'll still have to get better at drafting and making trades if you want to contend eventually. So you might as well start now and turn your decent team into a contender.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust