Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thinking of blowing up my team

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Re: Thinking of blowing up my team

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Get better at drafting and making trades.

Even if you "blow up" your team, you'll still have to get better at drafting and making trades if you want to contend eventually. So you might as well start now and turn your decent team into a contender.
    Well I just inherited the team so this is my first year drafting and I think I've done a pretty decent job so far. As far as trading goes I'm on here trying to learn and if the consensus is that with my roster I have the pieces to make a contending team I'll change my direction and try to go for the win

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't want to sound like a shill but if you're not yet good at this sort of thing it doesn't hurt to invest in some resources like the Dobber Prospect guide. Look for prospect rankings on the internet, watch some video on the players you're interested in. You probably know the roster players well enough, but knowing your prospects in dynasty leagues can make or break your team.

Also, as a Rantanen owner myself, I have never even considered trading him thus far and no one has made any offers because they know they don't want to offer what it will take to get him.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Wizard

You did one thing right so far… you came here to ask for advice…. Now follow up with another right thing and listen to the advise you are getting….

Dobber Sports Rookie

So far as a first half year owner of this team I think I've done a good job at drafting. I already invested in the dobber guide and have done a lot of research. So I think questioning my drafting continuously is a little out of line. As for my evaluation of trades I do appreciate the advice and I'm going to hold on to rantanen!

Thank you everyone

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Jfuss View Post
    So far as a first half year owner of this team I think I've done a good job at drafting. I already invested in the dobber guide and have done a lot of research. So I think questioning my drafting continuously is a little out of line. As for my evaluation of trades I do appreciate the advice and I'm going to hold on to rantanen!

Thank you everyone
    It looks to me like the previous owner did a terrible job drafting/recruiting prospects. Other than who I'm assuming you drafted this year, there are very few names that are even recognizable, let alone impactful. Who's team is the other thumbnail you posted?

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    It looks to me like the previous owner did a terrible job drafting/recruiting prospects. Other than who I'm assuming you drafted this year, there are very few names that are even recognizable, let alone impactful. Who's team is the other thumbnail you posted?
    I agree with you about having a definite lack of assets, which is why I questioned if I would be able to trade to make a contending team. But I think with all the advice here I might try and draft well and keep my top guys and hopefully in a few years I can trade assets and picks to content.

My bad on that second thumbnail that's a different team in a different league after a redraft.

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with you about having a definite lack of assets, which is why I questioned if I would be able to trade to make a contending team. But I think with all the advice here I might try and draft well and keep my top guys and hopefully in a few years I can trade assets and picks to content.

My bad on that second thumbnail that's a different team in a different league after a redraft.
    That's probably the best strategy for long-term viability. Sell off anything that doesn't fit into your window of contention for futures and try to consolidate any less than premium futures into better ones.

Farm (notables):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I don't think I would have the assets to acquire a good starting goalie, 3 decent D and another top C to even sniff a chance of competing. Some of the other teams are so much further ahead right now completely draining my future wouldn't give me the chance to win. But maybe trying to trade rant was the wrong move and I should trade my other aging guys and just wait it out and see if my prospects devlope
    Don't aim for a good starting goalie. Aim for any goalie a team needs to dump due to cap issues that isn't terrible. That excludes Murray, by the way.

What I do to make up ground is to do the following:

1. Find useful freely available players. They are there in all leagues, but usefulness type varies from a guy who is a specific category guy to round out a roster, a guy out of nowhere, or a prospect you like a bit that isn't owned.

2. Anybody that you find is no longer really helpful and that doesn't fit in a (re)build, don't be afraid to move. The free roster spot allows you to sort through players. Just don't pay anything to move them.

3. Be willing to take cap dump deals, if the term is short, and especially it's before the season.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.