View Poll Results: Which five are most overrated in fantasy?

Voters
72. This poll is closed
  • Sebastian Aho

10 13.89%
  • Frederick Andersen

16 22.22%
  • Patrice Bergeron

6 8.33%
  • Thomas Chabot

22 30.56%
  • Jack Eichel

31 43.06%
  • Aaron Ekblad

24 33.33%
  • Filip Forsberg

12 16.67%
  • Johnny Gaudreau

23 31.94%
  • Jonathan Huberdeau

13 18.06%
  • Chris Kreider

14 19.44%
  • Patrik Laine

39 54.17%
  • Jacob Markstrom

18 25.00%
  • J.T. Miller

5 6.94%
  • Morgan Rielly

23 31.94%
  • Mark Scheifele

4 5.56%
  • Andrei Svechnikov

14 19.44%
  • Vladimir Tarasenko

17 23.61%
  • Vincent Trocheck

9 12.50%
  • Jacob Trouba

11 15.28%
  • MacKenzie Weegar

21 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Most Overrated in Fantasy

The Great One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Most Overrated in Fantasy

What makes a player overrated in fantasy? I'm not here to tell you - your votes are going to tell me! I will say I mean overrated right now, not in the past or perhaps in the future. And some might be playing poorly enough that they're no longer overrated. Also, it's relative - that is, one player can be doing better than another but still be more overrated. And for skaters, let's say it's for a points only league, while for goalies think W, GAA, SV%, and SO.

Your task is to vote for the five on the list who are most overrated in fantasy. Real life value is irrelevant.

As usual, I ask that you post in the thread about who you voted for and why.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Most Overrated in Fantasy

This was TOUGH - a lot tougher than I thought it'd be. I think that some never had their rating go that high even after performing well, and others had high values that have already dropped to an extent they're no longer overrated. In the end I went with:

Andersen - He's never really been great and now is borderline lousy, yet he's seen as a true #1
    Ekblad - His value skyrocketed and I think it hasn't dropped nearly enough when, as it seems, he was so successful last season to a large extent due to the team around him, less so his own offensive talent
    Laine - People still think the old magic will be rekindled, when - and I'm dating myself - he's looking more and more like Jimmy Carson with each passing season
    Rielly - He's Drew Doughty 2.0, but thought of as Victor Hedman or John Carlson, when he's simply not a proven year in year out top performer
    Svechnikov - Of course I had to pick him because before the season I said every chance I could to not overrated him, yet everyone did....and they still do! I don't see him connecting the dots now or in the future.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Icon

I voted Rielly, Ekblad, Kreider, and perhaps controversially Weegar and Eichel.

Eichel merely because the expectation, which drives his perceived value, is sky high - and I have my doubts he ever gets there even if he puts up great numbers.

Kreider, Ekblad and Weegar it’s mostly about one or two seasons inflating value.

Rielly is a defensive liability and miscast as a no 1 D - he’s more Krug than Pietrangelo yet some value him like the latter.

If Kevin freakin Hayes was on this list he’d earn all 5 votes. He sucks hugely in fantasy, and is even more overrated and shitty in real life. How he got $7m with the limited game he brings is beyond me. I cannot stand watching him play, like watching ice melt. And he’s so lazy - tries to make a little move the other night on the PP, easily gets his pocket picked, glides back as they score on the ensuing breakaway, no wonder Torts is pulling his hair out. Shades of that other supremely overrated supposed star, Nedved. Rant over.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Monster

Hmm, I think the results of this poll may end up being a bit hard to analyze as a lot of those names are just players who were good last year or before that and are having rough seasons. So of course their value is less than how they're perceived. I did find 5 players I felt were overrated but tried to avoid just picking players because they were good last year and bad this year, as some (emphasis on some) of them will rebound. I ended up picking a few guys who get injured a lot but don't seem to carry the reputation of being injury prone.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Sage

Teuvo Teräväinen
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Sage

Svech, Ekblad, Eichel, and Laine for me. I love me some Svechnikov but his inconsistency and RDA's system hold him back. I doubt Eichel ever lives up to his potential.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

I only voted for Forsberg. I feel he's always been overrated and other than his contract year, he's underwhelmed fantasy owners.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I don’t get the Svech votes. In a standard Yahoo roto league right now he’s more highly rated than any other player on this list…by 16 spots (JT Miller). He is a multi-cat stud. We all know his team situation. He’s producing quite nicely. If you see him as overrated it feels like you’ve not been paying attention for the last few years.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Teuvo Teräväinen
    He was one of my final omissions. I figured with three Canes already on the list I shouldn't include another.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I don’t get the Svech votes. In a standard Yahoo roto league right now he’s more highly rated than any other player on this list…by 16 spots (JT Miller). He is a multi-cat stud. We all know his team situation. He’s producing quite nicely. If you see him as overrated it feels like you’ve not been paying attention for the last few years.
    You're not wrong, but I did say points only for purposes of the poll.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    You're not wrong, but I did say points only for purposes of the poll.
    Valid.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Valid.
    You also know it took every fiber of my being not to include a certain player to see if a certain forum member's head would explode........

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    You also know it took every fiber of my being not to include a certain player to see if a certain forum member's head would explode........
    Oh man. Love it!!
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This is interesting. I'm going to break this down by position.

Goalie:
    The guy I first went to look for and vote for wasn't there: Marc-Andre Fleury is missing. 1 good year in the last 4, admittedly it was great. Getting massively outplayed by his backup this year. He's the poster child for being an overrated goalie in fantasy once you get beyond straight wins.

The 2 goalies listed, Andersen & Markstrom were great last year, but not so much this year. Neither has a long track record of being consistently great, so I view them as being plausible. However, Andersen has been good more often, but is hurt more often as well.

D:
    There are guys who I value very highly here, such as Trouba & Weegar, but not at all in points-only. So they are off my list.

Ekblad is more of an all around guy, but he does have a lot of offensive hype that he mostly hasn't lived up to. He'll get a vote.

Reilly has one year since 17-18 under a 50 point pace, and it was a 47. He's got a few years over 60. I honestly feel he doesn't even belong here, but apparently there needed to be a Leaf, so he's it, I guess?

F:
    Scheifele is honestly the most confusing name on the list to me. He's a PPG guy, not much more, and rarely less. This year he's pacing for 70, his lowest rate since 14-15 at age 21, and only the second one below PPG. I cannot fathom why he's on the list. I mean, the Jets aren't even really hated.

Right here, I just decided that this list is not geared to people like me, because I hit a second name that I can't figure out why they are even on the list.

No votes being made, because I'm not skewing the results.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Administrator

I only voted for the goalies because goalies suck. All of them.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust